• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will Vernon Davis make the team this season?

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
15 potential surprise training camp cuts - NFL.com

With seven other TEs looking to be that guy does VD have any chance or are the 9ers hoping he still has some juice left to be a factor? IMO he will be cut but I would like to hear reasons as to why they might have VD back for another year.

He will make the team. Vance McDonald could not establish himself and is a question mark. The 49ers drafted TEs and have a bunch on the roster. But none of them have proven themselves yet. I could see VD gone next year, possibly, especially if he has another bad year. But he isn't going anywhere yet.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumor today came out that the 49ers were kicking the tires on J. Thomas this offseason although I find it hard to believe they seriously considered that option.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will make the team. Vance McDonald could not establish himself and is a question mark. The 49ers drafted TEs and have a bunch on the roster. But none of them have proven themselves yet. I could see VD gone next year, possibly, especially if he has another bad year. But he isn't going anywhere yet.
Roster cut will leave that list down to three at most. My question would be then ,why would a team focus on eight TEs if they didn't want to start over at that spot? Maybe, like you have stated, that other TE prospects haven't shown that they can do better.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I would be shocked if Davis is cut this year. We don't have a viable replacement at this point, and all reports from the spring were that he was looking very good. I think there's a very good chance that he will have a bounce-back season. His salary is not low, but it's not so very high, and we don't have a cap squeeze right now. Vernon will be motivated to play for a new contract, and if he does so, we may be able to get a decent comp pick for him which would more than offset his cap hit this season IMO.

Darken, you ask why would we have eight TEs? To sort out this year who will replace Davis next year. We need an heir, but right now we don't have that. Carrier has shown some things, but is still learning TE and is hurt. McDonald hasn't shown anything as a receiver yet. Bell is intriguing, but very raw. Celek has apparently been having a pretty good camp, but he's not a starter. Anderson is also an interesting guy if he can stay healthy, but he's an unproven rookie. We have numbers because we need to find starting talent and depth. It's the same situation at WR. We don't have a lot of WRs because we're looking to replace Boldin this year. We have a lot of WRs because we're trying to find a replacement for him next year.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read something this morning that the 49ers recently admitted Davis was injured most of last season. Not surprised watching him play last year. He just didn't look right last year. I remember seeing him clutching his back on the way back to the huddle

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumor today came out that the 49ers were kicking the tires on J. Thomas this offseason although I find it hard to believe they seriously considered that option.

Well Julius is only 27 and VD is 31. I think JT is a top 5 TE in the NFL but let's see how he does without Peyton this season.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Julius is only 27 and VD is 31. I think JT is a top 5 TE in the NFL but let's see how he does without Peyton this season.

I just don't see Baalke spending big money on a Free Agent Tight End. Also, Julius Thomas is a lousy pass blocker. I don't think that fits with our desire to have a strong running game. cdumler from the Bronco's board had a lot of negative things to say about Thomas. I trust his judgement on this stuff. It isn't a good fit for us. I agree with your reference to Peyton also.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm kind of intrigued by Blake Bell. I thought he was a bit a reach when we picked him, but having since watched some video of him, he has surprisingly good hands. I went back and watched some of McDonald's highlights and combine video, and he had a tendency to fight the ball. Bell, by contrast, had very soft hands and caught the ball smoothly. He's got great size and pretty good athleticism, too.

I think there's a chance he could develop into a very solid - if likely unspectacular - player. Though it's worth pointing out that his numbers are remarkably similar to Jimmy Graham's from his last season at Miami, and several of his measurables (height, weight, agility drills, broad jump) are comparable, though Graham's 40 and vertical were markedly better.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm kind of intrigued by Blake Bell. I thought he was a bit a reach when we picked him, but having since watched some video of him, he has surprisingly good hands. I went back and watched some of McDonald's highlights and combine video, and he had a tendency to fight the ball. Bell, by contrast, had very soft hands and caught the ball smoothly. He's got great size and pretty good athleticism, too.

I think there's a chance he could develop into a very solid - if likely unspectacular - player. Though it's worth pointing out that his numbers are remarkably similar to Jimmy Graham's from his last season at Miami, and several of his measurables (height, weight, agility drills, broad jump) are comparable, though Graham's 40 and vertical were markedly better.

I watched a video of Blake Bell running routes. He seems like he can catch the ball well. Wonder if he is somewhat similar to Derek Carrier. Carrier seems to be a good receiver but needs work on his blocking.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sandisfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I have said before I remember some posts at the OLD (Dead) "Di'd'ney sports site"(SP) and someone wrote that they believed that VD stopped reaching above his head to even attempt to catch passes as evidence that he had something wrong in the shoulders, back or whatever and since then I had not seen VD reach above his head. I believe that there is merit to the old comment and if the Niners have figured out that this is a problem he could be let go.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I have said before I remember some posts at the OLD (Dead) "Di'd'ney sports site"(SP) and someone wrote that they believed that VD stopped reaching above his head to even attempt to catch passes as evidence that he had something wrong in the shoulders, back or whatever and since then I had not seen VD reach above his head. I believe that there is merit to the old comment and if the Niners have figured out that this is a problem he could be let go.
Common knowledge about him being injured really. What we were never told is what that injury really is (was). he was holding out for more money last season so my guess is he hid some issues. You are correct about catching abilities , the main reason why I feel he might be cut . Until I see him jumping up and stretching for a catch ,I will still know he is not a viable passing target.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Common knowledge about him being injured really. What we were never told is what that injury really is (was). he was holding out for more money last season so my guess is he hid some issues. You are correct about catching abilities , the main reason why I feel he might be cut . Until I see him jumping up and stretching for a catch ,I will still know he is not a viable passing target.

He had back and leg issues. The back issue was listed on the injury report. It is one of those things you play through but limits your effectiveness

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vance might get cut not VD.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vance might get cut not VD.

You never know. From reports I've read, at least in the passing game Blake Bell has been as good if not better than McDonald. If so, a waste of a 2nd round pick

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You never know. From reports I've read, at least in the passing game Blake Bell has been as good if not better than McDonald. If so, a waste of a 2nd round pick
yes Bell has looked better. Needs to improve on blocking but coming along. our OC stated that if he played TE his whole college career he would of been a 1st or 2nd rd pick.

That's why I said Vance might be Cut. No way V. Davis gets cut this year.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Vance is in some trouble, unless he's clearly the best blocker. He's got to catch the football to stick around. And to think, Travis Kelce went eight picks after Vance. Ugh.