• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will Russell Wilson be a Starting QB anywhere next Year?

Tahuyaman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You might be right about that, but one of his biggest gifts in his prime was his legs. He doesn't have that ability anymore. He is not aging well.

Also, If 4 teams draft 1st round QBs, that's 4 more teams that won't touch him in 2025. He could find work, but it might not be in the spot that he wants.
He’s aging just fine. He stays in shape and has
You might be right about that, but one of his biggest gifts in his prime was his legs. He doesn't have that ability anymore. He is not aging well.

Also, If 4 teams draft 1st round QBs, that's 4 more teams that won't touch him in 2025. He could find work, but it might not be in the spot that he wants.
He is not aging poorly. He’s in good shape and is still a gifted athlete. He has never sustained a serious injury. There’s nothing wrong with him physically.

Drafting a QB in the first round doesn’t translate into him being ready to play right away. Aaron Rodgers might be able to explain that to you.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think a player his age can afford to take a year off if he doesn't want it to potentially be retirement. He could sign a deal with any team and backload it. And given the landscape of QBs right now. I think he can find a number of teams willing to play ball.
I know what you're saying and I agree with it in principle. If you pay him $16M per year you pay him league minimum year 1 and $30.8M in year 2. The problem is finding a team that is willing to fully commit to an already limited and declining Wilson for at least 2 years. If there's a team willing to pay him $20M+ per year for 2 years they could just trade for him. Personally I'd rather sign someone else on a 1 year try-out.

Tahuyaman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Russell hadn't already written his ticket out of Denver, he most certainly wrote it tonight, especially considering his cap hit over the next two years if he is still on Denver; 's roster a few days into the 2024 NFL season. So the big question is, will Russell Wilson be a starting QB anywhere next year?

A not-so-small part of me thinks he will retire so he can devote his full time to his Hollywood image, and make a graceful exit rather than being publicly humiliated by finding there is no taker for his services.
No matter what happens with him and the Broncos, he’s not going to retire

Tahuyaman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They didn’t really give up much for Payton when you consider the 1st they gave N.O is the pick they got from Miami who overpaid for a Pass Rusher who Denver wasn’t going to re-sign anyways. I think they swapped a 2nd with their 3rd but it didn’t really set them back anything.
If the Broncos falter next season, will Payton survive or be fired!

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt that. There are plenty of players and recently retired players who still remember Payton from his time with the Saints. His reputation from that time will weigh more heavily than his current dealings with a QB who clearly has a bloated ego and superiority complex.

Tahuyaman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There’s no doubt that Payton has done a poor job initially. He came in too publicly heavy handed. He said dumb things about the previous coaching staff. He handled his star QB poorly.

His style and handling of the Wilson situation is something other star players notice and consider when determining where they will play.

He needs to do a major re-set on his part over the off season. But he needs to appear to be sincere with that the-set.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well most Free Agents are looking to get paid.
So the Wilson debacle wouldnt phase a new Free Agent that is getting offered the brinks truck.
Also Payton would be pursuing said FA. Wilson he got stuck with he was there before Payton.

So this guy doesnt know what he is talking about. Looking for clicks.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There’s no doubt that Payton has done a poor job initially. He came in too publicly heavy handed. He said dumb things about the previous coaching staff. He handled his star QB poorly.

His style and handling of the Wilson situation is something other star players notice and consider when determining where they will play.
Denver doesn't need stars. A couple of star players isn't going to fix them overnight. They need a longterm plan including quality young players that have the potential to become stars.

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His net worth is like $165 million. Does he want to spend the next couple of years riding the pine? Should he sign with a weak loser that never sniffs the playoffs? Should he gamble and hope to fall in with a team that has a pre-season injury to a good QB but is otherwise sound, and play for league minimum just because he wants to win?

I don't see Wilson in any of those scenarios.

Too much ego, too little time.

Tahuyaman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Denver doesn't need stars. A couple of star players isn't going to fix them overnight. They need a longterm plan including quality young players that have the potential to become stars.
They need some serious upgrades, especially on offense.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need some serious upgrades, especially on offense.
McLaughlin is a playmaker. They just need to give him more opportunities. Javonte Williams hasn't had a good game since mid-October. Sutton is a solid player too. Prior to Sutton's concussion, he was coming off of 5 consecutive productive games. Sutton and Jeudy could both be 1000-yard receivers if they were targeted more.

Tahuyaman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McLaughlin is a playmaker. They just need to give him more opportunities. Javonte Williams hasn't had a good game since mid-October. Sutton is a solid player too. Prior to Sutton's concussion, he was coming off of 5 consecutive productive games. Sutton and Jeudy could both be 1000-yard receivers if they were targeted more.
Jeudy is not a top tier WR. Denver needs to move on from him. He’s lazy when he’s not the primary receiver. McLaughlin is not a feature type RB. He’s mediocre at best.

• Bullseye
Reactions: DJ

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,406.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeudy is not a top tier WR. Denver needs to move on from him. He’s lazy when he’s not the primary receiver. McLaughlin is not a feature type RB. He’s mediocre at best.
Yep.

Janus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All year long quality backup QB's have had a lot of reps. Flacco doing it in Cleveland, Heck QB;s like Dobbs ( 2 teams ) and Rudolph have opportunities. I can't see Wilson not getting an opportunity

(Oh god I love the Georgia cheerleaders )

With teams like Carolina, New England and Washington still trying to find leadership maybe he has a shot

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say top tier. I said a 1000-yard receiver with more targets. Denver doesn't need a top-tier receiver anyway. Bringing in a top-tier receiver rarely makes a team markedly better than developing one does. For every Tyreek Hill success story, there are 10 others that didn't work out. Just ask Pete Carroll and Jimmy Graham. Or Pete Carroll and Sidney Rice. Or the Oakland Raiders and Randy Moss. or....meh. I could go on forever.

McLaughlin is unproven. He'll remain that way if he doesn't get the ball more. And averaging 5.6 yards per carry might sound mediocre to you, but it doesn't to me. I guess we'll have to disagree on that.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All year long quality backup QB's have had a lot of reps. Flacco doing it in Cleveland, Heck QB;s like Dobbs ( 2 teams ) and Rudolph have opportunities. I can't see Wilson not getting an opportunity

(Oh god I love the Georgia cheerleaders )

With teams like Carolina, New England and Washington still trying to find leadership maybe he has a shot
If he isn't guaranteed a starting job going into camp, at a contract value that he thinks he is worth, then I doubt if he plays. And because he is such an egomaniac and hard for a head coach to work with, there may not be as much demand for his services as one might think at first glance.

I keep hearing New England. But, if RW's relationship with Payton can be described as stormy, his relationship with Belichick would be an F5 hurricane. A very quiet F5 because Belichick would not listen to his bullshit. Patriots are also going to have a top 5 draft pick and may go with a QB like Drake Maye or Jayden Daniels. Carolina? They invested a #1 draft pick and an entire year of growing pains with Bryce Young. I don't think they are going to throw in the towel now. Washington? They are also going to have a top 5 draft pick and may go with a QB as well.