• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will Brock Osweiler Be The Texans Long Term Answer At QB?

Will Brock Osweiler Be The Texans Long Term Answer At QB?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brock Osweiler was selected with the 57th overall pick in the second round of the 2012 NFL draft by the Denver Broncos.

Osweiler rarely played not even throwing his first TD pass until the end of his third season against Oakland on December 28, 2014.

Against Kansas City on November 15, 2015, Osweiler took over for Peyton Manning who was having a bad game and Osweiler completed 14 of 24 passes,58% completed,1TD and 1INT but lost to K.C. 29-13.

Against New England they won 30-24 but mainly due to defense as Osweiler completed 23 of 42,54% completed,1TD and 1INT.

Against Pittsburgh they lost 34-27 and Osweiler threw 3TD and 1INT for 300 yards but only completed 21 of 44 or 47% of his passes.

In Week 16 Osweiler started sixth consecutive game against the Bengals completing 27 of 39 attempts (69%) for 299 yards and one touchdown in a 20-17 overtime win.

In the Broncos' regular-season finale, on Jan. 3, Osweiler was replaced by Manning in the third quarter after throwing two interceptions and fumbling once. Manning led the Broncos to a 27-20 win over the San Diego Chargers and helped the Broncos secure the top seed in the AFC.

Overall Osweiler won 5 games and lost 3 games but no doubt helped a lot by having the best defense in the league. He completed 170 of 275 passes,61% completed,1,967 yards,10TD...6INT with an 86.4 pass rating.

Osweiler won a Super Bowl with Denver that last season but was watching from the bench as Peyton Manning and the Denver defense defeated Carolina 24-10.

Now the question is will Osweiler be the Texans long term answer at QB?

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its a very interesting question!!! For the money he is making, he better be. But of course, just because he's getting paid doesn't guarantee success. One would hope he had learned quite a bit working under Peyton, but that has yet to be truly proven. Whatever happens with this thread, please bring it back after the next season once we know how he performs, should be interesting!!! :2cents:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would probably put money on yes. He's going to get Hopkins in Houston so he'll have decent targets.

Denver and Houston put up statistically very similar #s offensively while also sporting two of the NFLs best defenses so it's not like he'll have pressure to put EVERYTHING on him offensively like Bortles with the Jags or something. He's going to a weaker division IMO. The Titans and Jaguars should be improved but it still has to be seen while Oakland will probably be better than both and KC is still decent. Chargers had a terrible year but I feel played under how good they are. Lastly, the Colts seem to have inept ownership that can't protect Luck or build anything relevant.

So division wise it's equal if not better. He's got weapons and the Texans have Miller now plus some draft ammo.

He's got all the tools to succeed and enough experience starting games sitting and learning for a while. I'd lean towards yes, and when I say yes I mean at least a somewhat successful QB who can post a 90+ QB rating.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say we need to see a full season from him first before we make a true assesment to be able to answer this question. I know I answered "no" but I would have picked (if it were an option), "unclear, wait and see/too early"

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No he's not the long term answer, but if they can put a good enough team around he might do for a while. Having Hopkins is a great start for even the lamest of QBs as we've seen.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd lean towards yes.. Nobody knew better than the Bronco's of what he would be capable of as a starter from day 1 of camp and they were willing to pay him starter money on what they saw in practice, meetings, etc from him. They couldn't afford what Houston paid, but their interest was pretty clear.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would probably put money on yes. He's going to get Hopkins in Houston so he'll have decent targets.

Denver and Houston put up statistically very similar #s offensively while also sporting two of the NFLs best defenses so it's not like he'll have pressure to put EVERYTHING on him offensively like Bortles with the Jags or something. He's going to a weaker division IMO. The Titans and Jaguars should be improved but it still has to be seen while Oakland will probably be better than both and KC is still decent. Chargers had a terrible year but I feel played under how good they are. Lastly, the Colts seem to have inept ownership that can't protect Luck or build anything relevant.

So division wise it's equal if not better. He's got weapons and the Texans have Miller now plus some draft ammo.

He's got all the tools to succeed and enough experience starting games sitting and learning for a while. I'd lean towards yes, and when I say yes I mean at least a somewhat successful QB who can post a 90+ QB rating.
Like Demaryius Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders?

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd lean towards yes.. Nobody knew better than the Bronco's of what he would be capable of as a starter from day 1 of camp and they were willing to pay him starter money on what they saw in practice, meetings, etc from him. They couldn't afford what Houston paid, but their interest was pretty clear.

well in all fairness there wasn't much out there at QB so that probably played into the reasoning why the Broncos were trying to pay him that much.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like Demaryius Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders?

Sure... what's your point? I didn't say Denver had terrible ones, just that Houston has some okay talent at the position (and I wouldn't be surprised if they use their draft picks on another or a TE).

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would lean towards no. Us Bronco fans kept waiting and waiting to see him emerge. What we saw is late round pick QB's outperform him in the preseason most years. We saw the same struggles from year one clear in year four. He still struggled with foot work. He still struggled with knowing when pressure was coming. He still struggled to read a defense or go through his progressions. All this while behind the guy that was maybe the best the league has ever seen at those very things.

I would have loved to have seen him though with a full off season as the starter. Maybe with more reps he gets those things under control but for the money he was paid I just can't see him living up to that position. I think he will be a decent starter but I don't think he will ever be that top-10 QB that you are hoping for.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They could have afforded him if they thought he was worth it. Elway had a number in mind and wouldn't go any higher, and reports are Osweiler basically said adios to the Broncos when he was benched against the Chargers.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Osweiler is intriguing because at times he looks really good and makes some nice plays. He showed a lot of poise in the comeback win over the Patriots, and he had a very nice game against the Bengals where he basically led what should have been the game winning drive 3 times (the first ended with a fumble by the running back with the Broncos in fg range, the second ended with a ridiculously awful missed fg at the end of regulation, and the third was the winning fg drive in overtime).

At the same time, he's extremely inconsistent. The Pittsburgh game is the perfect example: the Broncos were shredding the Steelers defense the entire first half, then the Steelers make a minor halftime adjustment, and the Broncos offense gets shut out the second half. Against the Raiders, he led the Broncos on 4 long drives in the first half that all ended in red zone field goals, then again the offense got shut out the entire second half and the Broncos lost a game they had no business losing.

Now, maybe with more playing time he can develop more consistency, but what would concern me about him is that when things go bad, they really go bad. He's not just bad for a drive or two, he disappears for an entire half at a time. He also really seems to struggle getting through his reads, and he took WAY more sacks than Manning (who, to be fair, is one of the best ever at avoiding sacks).

For me, I just haven't seen anything from him that makes me think he could be special. He'll make a few nice plays here and there, but I think his ceiling is high quality backup/low end starter.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No he's not. Got to think they draft a QB this year as well.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure... what's your point? I didn't say Denver had terrible ones, just that Houston has some okay talent at the position (and I wouldn't be surprised if they use their draft picks on another or a TE).
And he was average at best. He has a long way to go before he can even be considered one of the top 15 QBs in the league.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree, but I would temper it a little.

HOU imo has a longer way to go than it might seem...LY they feasted on the DIV but lost all but 2 of the games against decent teams, I think they beat CIN and NYJ. But...as you said the DIV is perking up...at least based on paper we should expect TN and JAX to be better and I think IND will be forced to invest in OL.

They need a RB1 to surface to complement Hopkins...I like O'Brien as a HC even though he hasn't done much...if they hang on to him and keep that HC/QB combo together for 3yrs...he has a real good chance play out this contract and get another one in HOU.

But, if they get rid of O'Brien in a yr, and new HC/OC, new OFC...if could become a slippery slope.