• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Wildcard game DUH Fish

Cali Steel

Poster Extraordinaire !!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.18
Fav. Team #1
Looking for a much better showing this time around.
Ben needs to watch that meniscus, and the "D" needs to show up this time around.

Cali Steel

Poster Extraordinaire !!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.18
Fav. Team #1
I thought he was toast until next season
Adam Gase is keeping the door open for Ryan Tannehill to play in the wild-card round, but the Miami Dolphins coach insists he won't rush a return.

The Dolphins coach said Monday he had not spoken with doctors yet about his starting quarterback's knee injury or recovery, but said he would have to feel "really good" to permit Tannehill to play Sunday against the Pittsburgh Steelers. Gase added that he would have a better sense of Tannehill's status by Tuesday.

“I need to know what his movement skills are and the structure of his knee,” Gase said in a news conference. “Once I get that update I’ll have a better idea."

From a few stories I've seen.
This from USA today.

MISKO

STILLERS
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adam Gase is keeping the door open for Ryan Tannehill to play in the wild-card round, but the Miami Dolphins coach insists he won't rush a return.

The Dolphins coach said Monday he had not spoken with doctors yet about his starting quarterback's knee injury or recovery, but said he would have to feel "really good" to permit Tannehill to play Sunday against the Pittsburgh Steelers. Gase added that he would have a better sense of Tannehill's status by Tuesday.

“I need to know what his movement skills are and the structure of his knee,” Gase said in a news conference. “Once I get that update I’ll have a better idea."

From a few stories I've seen.
This from USA today.
I just read pretty much the same on the nfl website

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tannehill or Moore...the key to this game...no turnovers, get a lead, slow down Ajayi and I think the win chances are about 85%. FWIW I think Moore might be a better pocket passer, but not as mobile...need to get him on the move or on the ground.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Stephon Tuitt declares he is playing vs. the Dolphins in Wild Card game

Good news for the Steelers on the injury front... Tuitt seems ready to rock. I'm sure he'll be a limited participant early in the week. Hopefully Hargrave & Matthews are ready to go as well. They will need all hands on deck for the postseason

Curious what his stats would look like if he played all 16...

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offense... 2 weeks of prep for the Killer Bs. The entire unit is healthy so theoretically sky's the limit. I'm hoping to see Haley dial up the aggression and set the tone early, then let the Le'Veon Bell show commence. But Ben has to be patient and play smart. He threw 2 INT's against this secondary in week 6. Reshad Jones is on IR this time around, so I don't fear their secondary nearly as much. It would really help if the offense could force Miami to go 1-dimensional. Miami's D-line has been playing well lately so the O-line will have a rough battle on their plate. Hoping Pouncey will be able to help the OG's with Suh. Doubt they will be able to pull Pouncey or either OT's with very much success. If they can move the ball through the air and take the gas out of their D-line then it would make it easier for them to move the chains late in the game. No matter what Haley needs to find a balance though. He's been doing a great job of adapting his gameplans on the fly, so expect more of the same.

Defense... Aside from Matt Moore starting at QB for the Dolphins, all eyes are going to be on Jay Ajayi vs. the Steelers run defense in this game. After watching the banged up D-line get run on by the Browns last Sunday (Walton, McCullers & Maxey were the only healthy bodies left, not to mention Harrison didn't play), there is definite cause for concern with Miami coming to town. Miami has twice the running game that Cleveland has. Thankfully Tuitt should play this week, and of course Deebo will be ready. But that still leaves Hargrave & Matthews questionable to play. They will benefit immensely from both being available, so it will be something to keep a close eye on. Should neither be available, the Steelers would only have 4 available D-lineman. Lyons would likely get the call up from PS. Regardless, the LBers will need to play like all-stars this week. Timmons & Shazier have their work cut out for them. Also the secondary needs to do a better job containing Jarvis Landry than they did in week 6. The secondary has progressed quite a bit since then (mainly Burns taking that next step and pushing Gay into the slot), so I'm not nearly as worried.

Overall... Tougher matchup than most are thinking it will be. Early odds show the Stillers as double-digit favorites, but I'm not buying it. It all depends on which Steelers offense shows up. Will it be Dr Jekyll or Mr Hyde this week? Don't see the Dolphins keeping up if Ben & Bell are playing their A-games. If they struggle, then it will be on the defense to limit Ajayi & handle their business. Postseason football gentlemen... Time to nut up or shut up.

Mind the juju... :hope:

MIA 28 - PIT 24

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offense... 2 weeks of prep for the Killer Bs. The entire unit is healthy so theoretically sky's the limit. I'm hoping to see Haley dial up the aggression and set the tone early, then let the Le'Veon Bell show commence. But Ben has to be patient and play smart. He threw 2 INT's against this secondary in week 6. Reshad Jones is on IR this time around, so I don't fear their secondary nearly as much. It would really help if the offense could force Miami to go 1-dimensional. Miami's D-line has been playing well lately so the O-line will have a rough battle on their plate. Hoping Pouncey will be able to help the OG's with Suh. Doubt they will be able to pull Pouncey or either OT's with very much success. If they can move the ball through the air and take the gas out of their D-line then it would make it easier for them to move the chains late in the game. No matter what Haley needs to find a balance though. He's been doing a great job of adapting his gameplans on the fly, so expect more of the same.

Defense... Aside from Matt Moore starting at QB for the Dolphins, all eyes are going to be on Jay Ajayi vs. the Steelers run defense in this game. After watching the banged up D-line get run on by the Browns last Sunday (Walton, McCullers & Maxey were the only healthy bodies left, not to mention Harrison didn't play), there is definite cause for concern with Miami coming to town. Miami has twice the running game that Cleveland has. Thankfully Tuitt should play this week, and of course Deebo will be ready. But that still leaves Hargrave & Matthews questionable to play. They will benefit immensely from both being available, so it will be something to keep a close eye on. Should neither be available, the Steelers would only have 4 available D-lineman. Lyons would likely get the call up from PS. Regardless, the LBers will need to play like all-stars this week. Timmons & Shazier have their work cut out for them. Also the secondary needs to do a better job containing Jarvis Landry than they did in week 6. The secondary has progressed quite a bit since then (mainly Burns taking that next step and pushing Gay into the slot), so I'm not nearly as worried.

Overall... Tougher matchup than most are thinking it will be. Early odds show the Stillers as double-digit favorites, but I'm not buying it. It all depends on which Steelers offense shows up. Will it be Dr Jekyll or Mr Hyde this week? Don't see the Dolphins keeping up if Ben & Bell are playing their A-games. If they struggle, then it will be on the defense to limit Ajayi & handle their business. Postseason football gentlemen... Time to nut up or shut up.

Mind the juju... :hope:

MIA 28 - PIT 24

OFC...I'm not overly concerned about them scoring enough points to beat MIA at home...keep the same theme...spread the ball around early, and AB and Bell will both have good games...try to force it to them and I can see the score being under 24 pts.

DEF...this side of the ball I'm a lot more concerned about for reasons you have already mentioned...healthy bodies. It'll be interesting to see how Butler starts this game out...8 in the box? Or base? I can see Gase opening it up early and trying to get a early lead and go back to Ajayi later.

I don't see MIA pounding it again and winning in PIT.

The juju has gotten 7 straight...I think 8 now.

PIT 26, MIA 17

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not very enthused to hear that he is still in protocol. It is what it is. Jesse James is turning into Mr. Reliable and DJ has been playing well so the position is solid. Green would be a cherry on top though.

Hargrave is good to go...

Last edited:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hopefully we see a record setting crowd! Current record is 67,234. Capacity is 68,400.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Underdogs... The way they have always preferred it

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never really realized how banged up the Dolphins defense is until I just read an article from the Palm Beach Post that had this to say:

Miami defensive players told me they were able to upset the Steelers at Hard Rock Stadium earlier this season by limiting their star players.

But this isn’t that defense.

In that game, safeties Reshad Jones and Isa-Abdul Quddus (both on season-ending injured reserve) started. In that game, cornerback Byron Maxwell (who has an ankle injury and made no promises Sunday about his playoff availabililty) started. And in that game, linebacker Jelani Jenkins was available.

In fact, in looking at the 11 Dolphins defensive players who count the most againt the 2016 salary cap, seven may not play at Pittsburgh. They are: 3) Maxwell (ankle), 4) Jones (shoulder), 5) Mario Williams (benched/performance), 7) Koa Misi (neck), 8) Dion Jordan (reserve/non-football injury list), 10) Abdul-Quddus (neck) and 11) Jenkins (knee).

I knew about Jones... but damn. So 3 starting DBs in their secondary, and a LB. Obviously the 2 starting safeties is the biggest damper to their success. They will need all-star performances from Suh & Wake to make their secondary's job easier. Tough sell against a top 5 O-line in PIT... Alonso will have his hands full with Bell.

Also found out that Ajayi was limping into the x-ray room after their week 17 game... Leg & shoulder issues. Nothin more to report on that yet

Last edited:

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fillet it and fast-food it if you want to!

6dfb3570154b1c6c94bbdb89ce744e59.jpg