• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Wild Card Steelers vs Bengals

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By your argument then, Shazier should be suspended for a blatant spearing of Bernard. Deliberately ducking his head to lead with the crown of the helmet to hit the RB in the helmet. And to call the RB here a runner is absolute BS - only intended to cover for the refs. If Bernard had dropped the ball at that point without a hit it would have been called incomplete, not a fumble every single time.

If Burfict knew what he was doing, then Shazier knew as well.

You could make a good case that that was at least a foul. I was surprised nothing was called. For some reason though runners don't have the same protection. So I don't know.

Still doesn't justify Burflict's action, right?

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could make a good case that that was at least a foul. I was surprised nothing was called. For some reason though runners don't have the same protection. So I don't know.

Still doesn't justify Burflict's action, right?

No, Burfict's action is pretty much inexcusable, he should have done more to pull up...

Irony - though - everybody now complaining about Burfict... yet many people are quiet about Shazier, and also thought Eagles' fans should not complain about Suggs going after Bradford's knees in the preseason. Both of those were equally dirty plays as what Burfict pulled here...

And yes, I do think a lot of the outrage about this hit has to do with the players (and teams) involved, and there is very little consistency. And - again - officiating incompetence played a massive role in the outcome of this game (both times in favour of the Steelers).

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should of got more.... repeat offended.
Burfict has been a known sociopath since he was in college. I honestly hate to see him play, even with all that talent, because I just have a feeling he's going to eventually hurt someone so bad that the damage will be permanently crippling.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burfict has been a known sociopath since he was in college. I honestly hate to see him play, even with all that talent, because I just have a feeling he's going to eventually hurt someone so bad that the damage will be permanently crippling.

And people thought it to be odd when two years in a row his hits have put Le'veon Bell on the shelf!!!

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regarding the Shazier hit.

Do people think that the league should enforce the rule as written? Enforcing the rules as written would have certainly led to a penalty for Shazier.

However there would be a lot of unintended consequences. For instance, as written the rule would pretty much end power running games.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, Burfict's action is pretty much inexcusable, he should have done more to pull up...

Irony - though - everybody now complaining about Burfict... yet many people are quiet about Shazier, and also thought Eagles' fans should not complain about Suggs going after Bradford's knees in the preseason. Both of those were equally dirty plays as what Burfict pulled here...

And yes, I do think a lot of the outrage about this hit has to do with the players (and teams) involved, and there is very little consistency. And - again - officiating incompetence played a massive role in the outcome of this game (both times in favour of the Steelers).

Sure. inconsistency is always a problem and little things like the player being hit are in there as factors as well.

But the bottom line is that, that particular play was so obviously a cheap shot that he deserves all he can get.
As others have said elsewhere, this wasn't his first time.

Although the more the discussion is going on, the more it's clear that the Steelers should have been penalized more. They were no angels (particularly the coaches) in pushing the envelope. They should at least be fined.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regarding the Shazier hit.

Do people think that the league should enforce the rule as written? Enforcing the rules as written would have certainly led to a penalty for Shazier.

However there would be a lot of unintended consequences. For instance, as written the rule would pretty much end power running games.

The problem with running backs is that there really IS a lot of spurious contact when some backs are pounding it into a crowd. Some backs do still use their heads as a way to pound into a defenders mid-section or something.

(i.e Steven "The Iron Man" Ridley with Bernard Pollard in a Pats/Ravens playoff game. Head on collision for both. Ridley goes down like a sack of potatoes ;))

I'm not saying something can't be done but it is more complicated and probably one of the reasons that rule hasn't been addressed.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as it's OK to nail a receiver after he becomes a runner I'm good with it. We get closer to flag football every year.

Think about that running backs straight arm thing they are allowed to do. Anybody else.......

It all evens out.