• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why is NBA Home Court Advantage in Decline?

Why is NBA Home Court Advantage in Decline?

• Slower pace of play (fewer whistles, less of a ref impact)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nba_HaberstrohHCAchart_576x324.jpg

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure if refs have become better at being unbiased to the home team, or just certain refs hate certain player/teams regardless of whether they are at home or on the road.

When Rasheed played for the Pistons and Crawford was reffing the game may as well started with the opponent up 2 points and Rasheed with a T; road/home it didn't matter. (Maybe not the best example as a lot of that WAS on 'Sheed, but you get the point).

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went with technology and more parity. I would also add "friendlier scheduling" as well. By friendlier scheduling, I mean that there a fewer back to backs and there are no back to back to backs like there were back in the day.

Back then there were times when players would play 3 games on consecutive nights in 3 different cities and were taking commercial flights to get there.

Now, back to back games don't happen all that much and with better accommodations and chartered flights, players are more rested for games.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure if refs have become better at being unbiased to the home team, or just certain refs hate certain player/teams regardless of whether they are at home or on the road.

When Rasheed played for the Pistons and Crawford was reffing the game may as well started with the opponent up 2 points and Rasheed with a T; road/home it didn't matter. (Maybe not the best example as a lot of that WAS on 'Sheed, but you get the point).

To be fair, Joey hates errbody. I know Lakers fans haven't been the only one's who cringe at the thought of Joey reffing their teams games. Heck, he T'd up Timmy for laughing when he wasn't even in the game. :lol:

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the way it should be if the games are being called correctly.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tanking has a lot to do with it- the difference between the great teams and bad teams- if their was parity home court would probably be a BIGGER FACTOR- since teams would be more evenly matched- and thus maybe home court swings it

lets just take the Cavs and Sixers for example---- the Cavs can win both home and on the road because they are great--- the Sixers are not even good enough to protect their home court

- the DISPARITY between good and bad is so much, that home court does not matte as much- if THERE WAS PARITY- home court would likely be more important

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you guys that said parity- can someone give me an explanation how that actually would practically come into play to limit home court? I just dont see it....I think the high disparity in talent would have the effeect of degrading home court morethan parity....

I seriously want to hear the argument though.....see what i am missing that a few ofyou thought...i tried to think it out and just couldnt get there....

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh..it held fairly steady until this year. I'd want to see another year or two of evidence to see if it ticks back up. It could just be an outlier. There's a couple of other outliers on that chart and you'll notice it goes back up a year or so later.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you guys that said parity- can someone give me an explanation how that actually would practically come into play to limit home court? I just dont see it....I think the high disparity in talent would have the effeect of degrading home court morethan parity....

I seriously want to hear the argument though.....see what i am missing that a few ofyou thought...i tried to think it out and just couldnt get there....

Before putting much though into it... it seemed to make sense that more parity = less HCA. It was something that just felt right, intuitively.

The more I think about that, though, the less it makes sense. Its hard for me to come up with a logical explanation of how parity would be related to HCA at all.

This is a post from kenpom from 10 years ago. He crunched some numbers (college basketball - parity by conference) and decided that there was no connection between parity and HCA.