• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

"why get political when we can get both political and religious?!?"

NorthCoastSteelersFan

Sleep...now.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Godwin's law states, in effect, that Nazism will eventually come up in any internet discussion of sufficient length. It doesn't specify that the comparison will be used inappropriately.

Abortion has been compared to the Holocaust many times, and it shouldn't surprise you that it came up now. It's a fair comparison, especially in the current context. Lots of Germans who lived near the camps claimed not to know what was going on. They looked the other way. And those who call themselves pro-choice, while objecting to the caravan, are no better.

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really. I don't judge other people. Calling people who believe in God, cult members is pretty judgmental though.

Whoa. I didn't say believe in god, I said join a religion; huge difference.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or you could just ignore my idea for how the organization should handle it... :pout:

And I thought we shared a strong bond, being in a cult together and all! :tsk:

NorthCoastSteelersFan

Sleep...now.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't the solution obvious from the Canucks' perspective?

"We will not fire Mr. Donnelly for his actions, since we, as an organization, are neutral on the subject and will take no action to either commend or reprimand his actions in supporting his beliefs."

This ^^^

Unless the singer said or did something to suggest that he was acting on behalf of the organization, or with its blessing, the Canucks should not pick up this hot potato. Endorsing his appearance would alienate a big chunk of the fan base. Punishing him would piss off a different segment.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you!

This ^^^

Unless the singer said or did something to suggest that he was acting on behalf of the organization, or with its blessing, the Canucks should not pick up this hot potato. Endorsing his appearance would alienate a big chunk of the fan base. Punishing him would piss off a different segment.

:high5:

Also, I would word it differently than I did there. Using the word "action" twice in the same sentence is just bad writing. My bad, guys. :burt:

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simple issue...

The guy has every right to perform the Anthem with another organization or at another event barring some exclusive contract with the Canucks.

The Canucks have every right to can him if they feel his views or the perception of his views don't fit with their brand.

Simple.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to leave in a few minutes, so if this thread goes way off the rails, please contact one of your friendly neighborhood mods who no doubt will take the appropriate action.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to leave in a few minutes, so if this thread goes way off the rails, please contact one of your friendly neighborhood mods who no doubt will take the appropriate action.

Hey, is that a shot at me!! ;)

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the religious debate has runs its course, so I'd like to think, no worries.

NorthCoastSteelersFan

Sleep...now.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sticking around 'til page 6. Hell, I'm not militantly anti-abortion, though I'd restrict it severely. And I realize that no die-hard pro-lifer will ever "convert" a die-hard pro-choicer by arguing with him/her, or vice versa. So it's pointless to get into a lather over it on a message board.

I just find it hypocritical that abortion rights advocates would object to the trucks. What you're advocating ain't pretty...it's ugly, and you just don't want people to know/see it. What you are objecting to is dissemination of the truth.

And by "you," I don't mean anyone on here. I'm talking about the protesters who tried to disrupt the start of the caravan.

With that, I take my leave. You nice folks on both sides of the Border, and on both sides of the abortion debate, have a good evening.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, is that a shot at me!! ;)

lol - No, however this is...

derailed.jpg

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think that you do not give Stalin the respect he deserves. Always Hitler with you.

If Stalin was so great, how come people don't compare every perceived slight against free speech to your family getting sent to Siberia to work in the salt mines?

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Stalin was so great, how come people don't compare every perceived slight against free speech to your family getting sent to Siberia to work in the salt mines?

I never said he was so great, dont be a Goebbels and put words in my mouth, just that he was really good and better than Hitler. Hitler couldn't even grow a real mustache, Uncle Joseph had a lovely masculine mustache.