• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why did we draft an OLB?

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just about every board I saw had us taking a CB. Why did we draft Ryan Shazier instead of Darqueze Dennard, who was still on the board and later drafted by the Bengals?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good question...to start Tomlin has said he's going to play ILB, which makes sense based on his size.

This part is just my theory...they've been coveting a smaller, faster player with size to defend TE/RBs in sub pkgs vs passing looks. I think they played Troy in that spot a lot LY with mixed results especially when team ran against that DEF.

Spence imo was initially targeted for a role like this...although they say he's cleared to play, no one is sure what he's capable of. Williams is better with the play in front of him. Running a 4.3, I think Shazier will see time on the field this year playing DEF.

I can support the argument for Dennard, but at best a rookie CB would been a ST player if they could not crack the top 3. They use Shamarko in dime a lot.

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good question...to start Tomlin has said he's going to play ILB, which makes sense based on his size.

This part is just my theory...they've been coveting a smaller, faster player with size to defend TE/RBs in sub pkgs vs passing looks. I think they played Troy in that spot a lot LY with mixed results especially when team ran against that DEF.

Spence imo was initially targeted for a role like this...although they say he's cleared to play, no one is sure what he's capable of. Williams is better with the play in front of him. Running a 4.3, I think Shazier will see time on the field this year playing DEF.

I can support the argument for Dennard, but at best a rookie CB would been a ST player if they could not crack the top 3. They use Shamarko in dime a lot.

Listening to the presser on it, they said they got him basically for speed as he ran the 40 in 4.3 so he's faster than JM - who was just drafted by the Browns.

We need to generate some sacks as we haven't been getting those - mostly to an over paid and out of shape LeMarr Woodley - I just would have felt better with us drafting a shut down corner.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listening to the presser on it, they said they got him basically for speed as he ran the 40 in 4.3 so he's faster than JM - who was just drafted by the Browns.

We need to generate some sacks as we haven't been getting those - mostly to an over paid and out of shape LeMarr Woodley - I just would have felt better with us drafting a shut down corner.

Ok...so my theory was in the ball park...he will make that sub pkg a lot better than playing Williams on passing downs or Troy playing out of position.

CB...jhmo...I don't think there was a true shutdown CB in this draft...barring injury, whomever they draft @ CB this year is going to be a ST guy and maybe some dime work...hopefully ready to take over one of the top 3 slots in '15. I think that guy is still on the board.

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok...so my theory was in the ball park...he will make that sub pkg a lot better than playing Williams on passing downs or Troy playing out of position.

CB...jhmo...I don't think there was a true shutdown CB in this draft...barring injury, whomever they draft @ CB this year is going to be a ST guy and maybe some dime work...hopefully ready to take over one of the top 3 slots in '15. I think that guy is still on the board.

I hope you're right. The weakness of our defense is the passing game.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope you're right. The weakness of our defense is the passing game.

A combination really...the run DEF was weaker LY but it wasn't so much against the base 3-4 teams were running...the sub pkg that took Williams off the field and moved Troy to ILB was vulnerable against the run...with a bigger player (Shazier) in that slot you hope they are better vs the run.

The pass DEF I hope got better @ FS, and I didn't think I would ever say this this, but Allen, Gay as the 1 & 2 CBs and Ike the 3rd is not that bad. Ike is not totally finished, but I think they now realize he can't be man up on the #1 WR anymore.

SJ20

F U Kovy/Parise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crazy!

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we need to have a feared D again

Indeed...one of the best things the NLFPA/Owners did was the rookie salary slotting...made it much easier to get guys signed and in camp.

Obviously we need some young players to step up on DEF to be a playoff caliber team this season...J Jones needs to take a big step, but with Tuitt looking very athletic to pair up with Heyward...I think the ILB blitz will be more effective if those 3 DL guys can wreck havoc...I feel really good about the draft this year and the direction on DEF overall...Idk if the future CB starter opposite Allen is on the roster yet, but in '2015 Thomas should be ready to take over for Troy.

Not feared yet, but building back.