• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why can't the Rays and A's get their own new stadiums if the Braves can?

DieHardForever397

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Atlanta Braves have officially announced that they'll be moving to Cobb County in 2017 to build a new stadium. But I hear A's and Rays fans are quite upset because those two franchises have been dying to build new ballparks and then all of a sudden we hear this news about the Braves getting a new ballpark, and they are tearing down Turner Field as well? PS I meant to add in the Texas Rangers could use a new ballpark as well, I've heard speculations of the Rangers putting a retractable roof on their stadium because of the hot Texas heat in the summertime, makes sense. Ballpark in Arlington is not old, but it's not new either. Maybe they'll tear that down one day too since Turner Field will be torn down for good. :agree:

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Atlanta Braves have officially announced that they'll be moving to Cobb County in 2017 to build a new stadium. But I hear A's and Rays fans are quite upset because those two franchises have been dying to build new ballparks and then all of a sudden we hear this news about the Braves getting a new ballpark, and they are tearing down Turner Field as well? PS I meant to add in the Texas Rangers could use a new ballpark as well, I've heard speculations of the Rangers putting a retractable roof on their stadium because of the hot Texas heat in the summertime, makes sense. Ballpark in Arlington is not old, but it's not new either. Maybe they'll tear that down one day too since Turner Field will be torn down for good. :agree:

What was the reason for the Braves new home? Did they just want to move? It definitly seems weird to build a state-of-the-art ball park, then move a few years later...

Ballpark at Arlington opened in 1994. That is still new.

For that matter - Tropicana isnt that old, either. It was just not built for baseball...

The A's definitely need their own place...

DieHardForever397

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes you are absolutely right but have you seen where the A's an rays play? Their are two things that these two troubled MLB franchises don't have in common with the other MLB teams in baseball. The rays play in a domed stadium, the last domed stadium that's currently standing in baseball. And the A's are the last team in baseball that share the same stadium with another team-the Oakland Raiders.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes you are absolutely right but have you seen where the A's an rays play? Their are two things that these two troubled MLB franchises don't have in common with the other MLB teams in baseball. The rays play in a domed stadium, the last domed stadium that's currently standing in baseball. And the A's are the last team in baseball that share the same stadium with another team-the Oakland Raiders.

Braves also were able to get close to 50% of the stadium to be publicly funded....not all teams can get that type of deal and support. I don't know the specifics with the A's and Rays situation, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's the hindering factor.

Last edited by a moderator:

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What was the reason for the Braves new home? Did they just want to move? It definitly seems weird to build a state-of-the-art ball park, then move a few years later...

Ballpark at Arlington opened in 1994. That is still new.

For that matter - Tropicana isnt that old, either. It was just not built for baseball...

The A's definitely need their own place...

What do they always say in real estate? Location, location, location!

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In the Tampa area, there is the eternal chicken or egg question... Ball park - or fans?

If they build a new field, will they get more fans?

I'd like to see the fans first.... Show them you'll support the team, then they'll get a new park. It makes me so sad that the team is very good, even with the low payroll, yet no one goes to the games.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the Tampa area, there is the eternal chicken or egg question... Ball park - or fans?

If they build a new field, will they get more fans?

I'd like to see the fans first.... Show them you'll support the team, then they'll get a new park. It makes me so sad that the team is very good, even with the low payroll, yet no one goes to the games.

Basically...we just saw the Marlins try it and even in their 'all in' year, they were 12th in the NL in attendance.

DieHardForever397

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But answer me this how can the braves get a new stadium in Cobb county, tearing down turner field which has only been staring for like 17 years..but the rays and A's clearly have two of the worst stadiums in Major League Baseball. Why can't they build their new ballparks let's say by 2016.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The A's want to build their stadium in Giants Territory. The Giants won't let them. I think the Marlins screwed things up for the Rays. It's to bad, but that's how the cookie crumbles sometimes.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But answer me this how can the braves get a new stadium in Cobb county, tearing down turner field which has only been staring for like 17 years..but the rays and A's clearly have two of the worst stadiums in Major League Baseball. Why can't they build their new ballparks let's say by 2016.

Becasue Cobb country decided to sell their taxpayers a bill of goods, and gave the Braves a sweetheart deal.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, public financing is a major hindrance.

1. Turner Field was not owned by the Braves...they were tenants. The stadium was originally built by the municipality for the 1996 Olympics, and afterwards they rented it out to the Braves. It's not as if the Braves built the stadium themselves than 20 years later decided they want to tear it down and build a new one.

2. Braves for their new stadium are getting $300 million in public funds
New Atlanta Braves stadium calls for $300 million in public funds - Washington Times

3. The Rays have very little support for any type of public funding for a new ballpark. Earlier this year, a poll of Tampa residents resulted in just 12% supporting public funding for their ballpark
Poll: Little support for public funding of new Tampa Bay Rays ballpark | News

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really can't equate the three situations.

Cobb residents decided to fund a park for the Braves. The Braves are in dire need for a change in their financial situation. Having a nice park in the middle of a shit-hole neighborhood, coupled with the loss of TBS, has crippled that franchise.

The As had horrible ownership for a long time that got them into a number of very bad long-term agreements. Signing away any claim to SJ over to the Gians in '93, while neighborly, was financial suicide. Allowing Alameda to bend them over in order to appease Al ruined a very nice stadium. Selling their broadcast rights to the Giants was also a boneheaded move. Now they are acting like spoiled children in order to reap the benefits of the 20+ years of work the Giants have invested into the SJ market.

Florida is just not very good baseball country. The weather in the summer is painful, and not enough people are from the area to identify with te local team (there are more Yankee fans in the TB area than Ray fans). No way they will get the support of the citizens to build a new stadium less than 20 years after building the Trop.

I agree it is weird to see Turner Field retired so soon, but the arguments against it have more to do with the surrounding area than the field itself. There was just bad city planning applied during and after the park was built.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont forget that teams that put their own money into their ballparks are doing so with the incentives of reduced property taxes. The politicians promise and dont deliver and teams feel they are doing more for county taxes collected at the ballpark and should not have to pay.

Dont know what the atlanta situation is, but there are always reasons to move.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and not enough people are from the area to identify with te local team (there are more Yankee fans in the TB area than Ray fans). No way they will get the support of the citizens to build a new stadium less than 20 years after building the Trop.

That's all you needed to say about why Tampa can't get a new stadium. No one in the area gives a fuck about the Rays. The only games they have a chance of coming close to selling out are when the Skanks are in town or if the Rays make the playoffs.

DieHardForever397

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What will eventually happen with the A's and Rays if they cannot afford to build a new stadium by let's say 2020? Even though the rays lease doesn't expire until 2027-awwww that really sucks to play in Tropicana field that long.

Bulldog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Braves also were able to get close to 50% of the stadium to be publicly funded....not all teams can get that type of deal and support. I don't know the specifics with the A's and Rays situation, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's the hindering factor.

The A's want to build a stadium in San Jose but the rights to the area belong to the S.F. Giants and their owner will not waive them to allow the A's to build. Talk about being petty, it's not like they are going to lose any great fan base.