• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

why arent we talking about this?

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesnt sound sad, I've been there before. I cant help but to think that you'd be doing a little better if the Devils werent playing like shit right now

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Bottom line is when he needs to make the big save moose makes it. so far marty hasn't. blame the defense offense or whatever. Moose has bailed his team out more then Marty. no denying that

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I played goal my whole life. All the way up to the Q and a game in the coast, I coach and scout goalies for a living. I know I haven't seen it all, but I've been around the game and position especially enough to know its in and outs.
And as far as the team aspect goes its a confidence thing. The team plays better in front of moose because they are more confident in front of moose. It's that simple. Teams will always play better and more relaxed in front of the goalie they are more comdortable having in net.

As far as the issue of 'well if they played better in front of him well..' a game like tonight, and there have been SEVERAL of them this year are the counter arguments to that. One if those goals tonight (on marty) you can attribute to the team not givi g great support to him, and even with that 2 of them were bad goals.

He's constantly on his ass or stomach. It's just sloppy goaltending on a consistant basis. At this point ive gotta say the team doesn't have confidence in front of him for a reason.
Even when they done fuck up routine stoppage shots are going in.

This is spot on. I am not a goalie coach but Marty spends way too much time flopping around. He doesn't get back up as fast as he used to. Believe me I am sure the coaches are having heart attacks when marty is laying on the ice stacking his pads in the air making the save. Sure to the fans those saves look pretty but that technique should be last resort only.

Maybe that's why team plays better with Moose. He is more conservative and usually in good position even on rebounds.

I know it's tough for many to see or admit this. None of us are really in position to criticize arguably the greatest of all time, but it's obvious to me he isn't the same and the team doesn't play the same in front of him. He should have stopped 2 out of 3 last night. Hell, opposing goalies seem to make those saves.

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottom line is when he needs to make the big save moose makes it. so far marty hasn't. blame the defense offense or whatever. Moose has bailed his team out more then Marty. no denying that

Its almost like the save % state though...Marty has had to do it more times, facing less shots. More shots seem to get through on Moose (not in goal, but that arent blocked) and normally those of the weaker variety. Alot of shots while Marty's in seem to go wide, or blocked when its controlled play but he also seems to get alot more breakaways coming his way than Moose.... this team boggles my mind with that.

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Way more confident.

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That looked like another boardline call where the call on the ice should have stayed....

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So which of you is going to make the thread shitting on Moose for this goal? Is that Jet allowed to crash into moose and through checking him push the puck in? I don't know what the rule is.

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, it looked like the ref had to find the puck, if he lost it....shouldnt the play have been dead?

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm just waiting for the "Shit on Moose" thread.. C'mon someone get on that.

skrillex26

Keep It On Ice
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hmm, in regards to this thread i must agree that Marty's free pass thing is getting to me. We all know how amazing he's been but like rko said that's just looking backwards to the past and that's just pointless.

I also don't wanna hear the team never play in front of him, if on a given night that is the case again like rko said it's because clearly at times at least they are not confident when Marty's behind them.

And also on that point while the team does have to show up and play as well as poss in front of the goalie, the goaltender is still the most important position, and so even if they're playing well and scoring 3 goals if the goalies sliding around letting in 5 it means nothing.

I know it's harsh to pin it on one person but the goalie does have to take that responsibility I'm afraid, Obviously there are times when you can't blame the goalie fully. But Marty seems to get away with any criticism a bit too easy i do agree with that.

If the goalie cannot bail the team out when they need it most then the team is just deflated and anxious. There's no way they can play relaxed and well like that in my opinion.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hmm, in regards to this thread i must agree that Marty's free pass thing is getting to me. We all know how amazing he's been but like rko said that's just looking backwards to the past and that's just pointless.

I also don't wanna hear the team never play in front of him, if on a given night that is the case again like rko said it's because clearly at times at least they are not confident when Marty's behind them.

And also on that point while the team does have to show up and play as well as poss in front of the goalie, the goaltender is still the most important position, and so even if they're playing well and scoring 3 goals if the goalies sliding around letting in 5 it means nothing.

I know it's harsh to pin it on one person but the goalie does have to take that responsibility I'm afraid, Obviously there are times when you can't blame the goalie fully. But Marty seems to get away with any criticism a bit too easy i do agree with that.

If the goalie cannot bail the team out when they need it most then the team is just deflated and anxious. There's no way they can play relaxed and well like that in my opinion.

Well when it comes right down to it there have been about 5-7 games this year when the team has totally shat the bed. Marty was in net for at least 5 of them. So the question really is do you think that's because the team doesn't like playing in front of him. I think that's a stretch.

skrillex26

Keep It On Ice
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well when it comes right down to it there have been about 5-7 games this year when the team has totally shat the bed. Marty was in net for at least 5 of them. So the question really is do you think that's because the team doesn't like playing in front of him. I think that's a stretch.

Yeah they have but the goalie CAN (Not saying they should) keep a team in a game. If a team is playing terrible which we have this year, if the goalie's on their game they can give the team a chance even when they really shouldn't have one.

But if the goalie is playing really bad like i said before it makes no difference how well the team play because if he lets a crapload in we're gonna lose. That's why i think the goaltender's so important.

That's aside from the fact that again regardless of how the team plays or how many shots they face the goaltenders job when it comes down to it is to stop the puck from going in the net. I'm not saying they should be invincible of course but Marty hasn't been playing as a good goaltender should, at all. That's not even a great goaltender, not even good lately.

So he should be allowed to be criticized.

After all, Kovalchuk isn't doing his job as well as he should be which is to score a ton of goals and we still pick at him.

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just waiting for the "Shit on Moose" thread.. C'mon someone get on that.

I mean listen the reason i started this thread is because Marty has consisrantly underperformed. It's not abput shitting on anyone.

Even by that logic Saturday game let's face it, has not been the moose we've seen for the most part this year. If he starts playing awful 80% of the time hes in net too, then ill give him his thread.

I created this thread because so many people are afraid to say hey marty, your playing terrible, or evrn that he needs to play better. Yet its painfully obvious. Even if it was a forward or d man wed be going holy shit get him off the ice (im looking at you Andy Greene). I just don't see why on a day to day basis, at this age why Marty shouldn't be held to the same standard as every other player.

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just think it's fucked up the team plays well for Moose but not Marty, maybe they feel they NEED to play tighter/better with Moose than Marty, but it's not right.

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's actually probably more the other way around. Throughout my entire hockey experience the team will play better and more relaxed in front of who they feel is the better goalie.
Typically youll see the tension in their game in front of the goalie they're less confident in.

Look at the winnipeg game. It was one of moose' sitter games weve ever seen him play in a devils uni, but overall I thought the team played very well.

It is fucked up, I'm just saying youll typically see it (in varying degrees) on every team

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I've always tried to hold Marty accountable. His job bottom line comes down to who gives you the best shot at winning a game. So far itsbeen moose. I don't want to hear well the defense plays poorly in front of marty. Bottom line is ur job is to keep the puck out of the net 50 shots or 15. I never hear marty step up and take the blame. All these playoff flops wasn't becauss the devils can't score its just the goalie at the other end outplayed broduer. If playoffs started today i want moose to start.

I do not think this team can move forward until marty retires

DevFan60

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like that we urgently need to get young talented goalie and replace one or both of our goalies. Stability is not there. They can perform well in 2-3 games then screw up next 2-3 games. Look how Tim Thomas is playing now. He is not young, but B's should be satisfied with his performance. He stopped 44-45 Penguins shots last night. This is what we need from our goalies in their age.

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like that we urgently need to get young talented goalie and replace one or both of our goalies. Stability is not there. They can perform well in 2-3 games then screw up next 2-3 games. Look how Tim Thomas is playing now. He is not young, but B's should be satisfied with his performance. He stopped 44-45 Penguins shots last night. This is what we need from our goalies in their age.

Bingo

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He looked really young on those saves from Kessle, jeez. He really does just pull it out out of his ass sometimes

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bingo