• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why are the Braves leaving Turner Field?

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've only been there 16 years? Do they think a new stadium will generate more fans? I've never been to Atlanta, but apparently Turner Field is in the downtown area and the new stadium won't be, which I think would hurt attendance if anything. What gives? Turner Field is a nice stadium (at least when it's not covered in trash). The Phils could be in CBP for the next 50 years. I don't get why they're abandoning it so quickly.

sallynemo

whole lotta shaking
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I lived in Atlanta area for 48 years...I never really felt safe walking around that area after a night game...I don't think the new stadium in Cobb County (it's maybe 12 miles from turner field) would make me feel that same way.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you mean "walking around that area after a night game?" The parking lot? How bad can it possibly be? I find that reasoning hard to agree with. There must be some other thinking that went into the decision.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you mean "walking around that area after a night game?" The parking lot? How bad can it possibly be? I find that reasoning hard to agree with. There must be some other thinking that went into the decision.

It's an African American-rich community in that area near Turner Field, that's what I've heard

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's an African American-rich community in that area near Turner Field, that's what I've heard

What the fuck. This statement is filled with so much racial stereotyping. I may be bitter about being called racist myself, but seriously that is some prejudiced thinking.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I lived in Atlanta area for 48 years...I never really felt safe walking around that area after a night game...I don't think the new stadium in Cobb County (it's maybe 12 miles from turner field) would make me feel that same way.

I'm not sure why you would feel uncomfortable. It's not like you're walking out of the stadium alone. You're walking out with the other 1500 people that attended the game.....

sakau2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm very familiar with atlanta.

turner field is a decent and relatively new park, but there are some issues with it.

first of all, there is no easy access via public transportation to the stadium. the parking situation is pretty bad. and there is really not much in the immediate vicinity of the field. i haven't been to that many MLB parks, but the area around turner field is nothing like wrigleyville for instance.

there really, really, really needs/ed to be a MARTA (subway) stop at or near the park, but there isn't.

and one of the big points is this:

heat-map.jpg

this is a map with the red dots representing a ticket sold to the braves games. currently turner field sits at the south end of downtown. the new stadium is much closer to the majority of season ticket holders and fanbase in general.

do i still think this could be an enormous waste of taxpayer money? yeah. do i see the arguments for moving the stadium to the new location? yeah.

one intersting aspect is the county that it is being moved to (cobb) has resisted for years to allow MARTA (the mass transit in atlanta) to expand to their county for fear of bringing in "unsavory" people. i don't really agree with that line of thinking, but it is their county and if they enjoy sitting in traffic on I-75, that's their business. it would be nice, imo, if they expanded the MARTA into the northwest suburbs and put a stop at the new turner field location. but that doesn't appear likely to happen.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cobie, you're actually good now. I just disrespected the Hispanic community in the Carmona thread. What with all the job taking from immigrants and murdering from blacks, it's hard not to be hateful. I'm feeling it now after your comment. Expect some Clint Eastwood-Gran Torino type shit from me for the rest of the night.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been to the Turner field area once. It's in a residential area of average to less than average housing. I read that Atlanta not only wants a new stadium with easier transportation access as described above, but they want to develop the adjacent area with eateries and shopping. You can't do that with Turner Field. This should help with attendance because the fans will have a better experience. And developers will like the money. Sounds like the way to go.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm very familiar with atlanta.

turner field is a decent and relatively new park, but there are some issues with it.

first of all, there is no easy access via public transportation to the stadium. the parking situation is pretty bad. and there is really not much in the immediate vicinity of the field. i haven't been to that many MLB parks, but the area around turner field is nothing like wrigleyville for instance.

there really, really, really needs/ed to be a MARTA (subway) stop at or near the park, but there isn't.

and one of the big points is this:

heat-map.jpg

this is a map with the red dots representing a ticket sold to the braves games. currently turner field sits at the south end of downtown. the new stadium is much closer to the majority of season ticket holders and fanbase in general.

do i still think this could be an enormous waste of taxpayer money? yeah. do i see the arguments for moving the stadium to the new location? yeah.

one intersting aspect is the county that it is being moved to (cobb) has resisted for years to allow MARTA (the mass transit in atlanta) to expand to their county for fear of bringing in "unsavory" people. i don't really agree with that line of thinking, but it is their county and if they enjoy sitting in traffic on I-75, that's their business. it would be nice, imo, if they expanded the MARTA into the northwest suburbs and put a stop at the new turner field location. but that doesn't appear likely to happen.

This makes sense. Good info, thanks for the post.

And by the way fuck your Braves.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't that the map they found in Wayne Williams' pocket when they arrested him?

sakau2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This makes sense. Good info, thanks for the post.

And by the way fuck your Braves.

fwiw, i don't have a rooting interest in baseball. i actually grew up disliking the braves because that's how my dad trained me. he trained me to dislike all the atlanta pro teams because it took away coverage from his alma mater, georgia tech.

as an alabama native, i'm pretty indifferent to pro sports, but i enjoy seeing the braves and falcons flounder.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fwiw, i don't have a rooting interest in baseball. i actually grew up disliking the braves because that's how my dad trained me. he trained me to dislike all the atlanta pro teams because it took away coverage from his alma mater, georgia tech.

as an alabama native, i'm pretty indifferent to pro sports, but i enjoy seeing the braves and falcons flounder.

Your father is a good man.