• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

why are people blaming zherdev

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
this is getting annoying. every site i go to people seem to be saying gagne will be traded because of zherdev. then they explain why it does not make sense to trade a 2 way player like gagne for a minus player like zherdev.

seriously, i feel like i need to educate some writers. the flyers had to make a move either way. before we signed zherdev we would have had to have moved at least hartnell. since that did not seem to be an option the only logical players were gagne and carter. as much as i would like to keep gagne and trade carter because i think we can get more for carter, i can see why the flyers want to keep him.

the point is, gagne was going to be moved anyway. zherdev is not the reason he is being moved. i have no idea why these writers are trying to make this negative. he was picked 4th overall in a great draft for a reason.

also, i am a little sick of people saying we can not compete with leighton. leighton was in net for us in the finals and the team lost to a stacked team. so the same flyers team that went to the finals only got better and somehow people think we can not get back because leighton is our goalie. as much as i would like to get another goalie i would be ok with this team because we now have what i think is the best defense in the nhl. also, our offense might not even take a hit without gagne. jvr, giroux, and zherdev should add goals. not to mention briere should be at center which helps and hartnell should have a better year. also, leino will start on the team. our blue line could probably even add more goals.

anderwho2513

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gagne is more of a solid 3-way player.

Good offensively, gets back defensively, and he makes several stops in the trainer's room along the way.

Zherdev's $2M for 80 games > Gagne's $5.25M for 50-60 games. End of story.

SuperFlyer13

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is getting annoying. every site i go to people seem to be saying gagne will be traded because of zherdev. then they explain why it does not make sense to trade a 2 way player like gagne for a minus player like zherdev.

seriously, i feel like i need to educate some writers. the flyers had to make a move either way. before we signed zherdev we would have had to have moved at least hartnell. since that did not seem to be an option the only logical players were gagne and carter. as much as i would like to keep gagne and trade carter because i think we can get more for carter, i can see why the flyers want to keep him.

the point is, gagne was going to be moved anyway. zherdev is not the reason he is being moved. i have no idea why these writers are trying to make this negative. he was picked 4th overall in a great draft for a reason.

also, i am a little sick of people saying we can not compete with leighton. leighton was in net for us in the finals and the team lost to a stacked team. so the same flyers team that went to the finals only got better and somehow people think we can not get back because leighton is our goalie. as much as i would like to get another goalie i would be ok with this team because we now have what i think is the best defense in the nhl. also, our offense might not even take a hit without gagne. jvr, giroux, and zherdev should add goals. not to mention briere should be at center which helps and hartnell should have a better year. also, leino will start on the team. our blue line could probably even add more goals.

I like Leighton, I really do. He was great last year. this post says exactly how I feel.

Leighton, IMO, is just a cheaper version of Nabokov. Yea, he'll look good for a while, then have a few off games, and then he'll follow it up with a great performance that gets marred by one or two horrible goals at the worst possible time. And before you know it, we're back in the same situation that we're always in: turning to Jack (or whatever your poison might be) and saying, "Maybe next year."

Go ask a Sharks fan if that's not how their last few years with Nabokov have went.

This was posted by Anderwho in another thread and hits the nail right on the head!

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
so you are comparing nabokov to leighton? nabokov who has a history of not playing well in the playoffs although neither does his team. and leighton does not let in horrible goals at horrible times. yes the last goal was bad and now everybody acts like all he does is let in weak goals. seriously, go back and watch his games. he looks like any other goalie to me. he has great games with some not so great ones which every goalie does. look at any goalie in the league and they do the same thing. just look at any of our series in the playoffs. you say eager had a goal that leighton should have stopped? look at brieres goals on brodeur and rask. 2 of the better goalies in the league. very similar.

and i do not even think people were saying, well if only we had a goalie. i think people were saying, wow leighton saved our season. i think the reason we lost in the finals was we had no defense except for the top 4. that and the fact that we were just outmatched by a great team.

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going into Leightons first game with our boys, I had no opinion of the guy. I just wanted to see him make the occasional big save and stop all the easy ones. I gotta tell ya....I watched all of Leighton's games this year too and I seen him let in some very weak goals. Too many to make me feel comfortable at all times with him back there.

I am not confident in his abilities to carry this team when and if it's needed.

Having said all of that BS....the guy is very good and an adequate back up that we should keep around for a few years......and no matter how many excellent d-men we sign on to protect him.....he's just not strong enough to be a number 1 goalie.

Of course, the Flyer's options are very limited this off season and that stud goalie just isn't in our cards right now, so I guess we'll see soon enough what he's truly made of.

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
yea i can understand why saying a goalie who made it to the cup finals and got 3 shutouts in the series before that would not be able to get you there again.

seriously, great teams with average goalies are better than average teams with great goalies. ask the rangers.

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's your opinion and I respect that.

Now, return the favor and do the same for me.

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe they feel that they have to justify their own opinions all the time and they get tired of it.

I guess.

...and, I'm not angry bro. I have my precious sleeping daughters legs across my lap on the couch and I'm watching the Phils win (just now!! sweeeet!) and talking shit on a message board with my laptop.

All is great here. :)

SuperFlyer13

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so you are comparing nabokov to leighton? nabokov who has a history of not playing well in the playoffs although neither does his team. and leighton does not let in horrible goals at horrible times. yes the last goal was bad and now everybody acts like all he does is let in weak goals. seriously, go back and watch his games. he looks like any other goalie to me. he has great games with some not so great ones which every goalie does. look at any goalie in the league and they do the same thing. just look at any of our series in the playoffs. you say eager had a goal that leighton should have stopped? look at brieres goals on brodeur and rask. 2 of the better goalies in the league. very similar.

and i do not even think people were saying, well if only we had a goalie. i think people were saying, wow leighton saved our season. i think the reason we lost in the finals was we had no defense except for the top 4. that and the fact that we were just outmatched by a great team.

Look, obviously nobody else is entitled to their opinion except you okay, feel better now? I guess I would take you a little more serious if you weren't saying in another thread how you would take Turco as an upgrade over Leighton! Thats all we have been saying and you have been on our asses for it. FUCK LEIGHTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!