• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who's really "tanking"?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw some article a week or so ago that apparently stated how the Lakers could get VW. I didn't even bother to read it.

I wonder if he saw that same article.

Probably.

But like who writes something like that?

Truly amazing levels of delusion.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Wembanyama Wildness has made this more of a thing this year, with all the jokes and talk about teams tanking left and right. But thinking about it, are that many really doing a full Process-style tank? For one thing, tanking doesn't improve your odds like it used to. And really, a lot of teams are just bad, or just in that phase of their cycle:

Spurs: these guys have been bad for a couple years now, are they really tanking though? All they did was trade their best player before having to pay him, and they clearly decided they weren't ready to or didn't want to build around him. So that's not a tank

Jazz: this looks like a team that (correctly) decided their 2 high priced stars weren't getting them very far, so they decided to trade them for lots of picks and rebuild. This is smart team management but it's not tanking. And you can't really call it that unless it goes on year after year.

Pacers: seems more like Spurs/Jazz than a deliberate 'tank'. This is where they are in the cycle.

Kings, Magic: doesn't feel like tank jobs, just perennially bad teams

Thunder: this to me is closest to an actual tank job, because they've been at it for a while and they routinely sit guys for no reason other than to lose games.

Rockets: similar to Thunder, sitting Wall all year, etc.
Sugarcoat it anyway you want, but the Pacers are tanking. They suck. Albeit had no other choice with all the injuries and ineffectiveness the last 2.5 seasons… Probably the worst team in the NBA right now.

Benn Mathurin is probably our second best player but Carlisle doesn’t trust him to start. Love the kid and he has big potential, but it might be (most likely) a maturity thing.

If nothing else with the team going nowhere it will allow Carlisle to experiment with different lineups to find potential.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably.

But like who writes something like that?

Truly amazing levels of delusion.

I'm almost tempted to find it just for a good laugh. There's probably some set of circumstances that are less likely than me winning the lottery that if they all happened in a certain order would result in the Lakers having the #1 pick and someone decided to write an article about it. lol

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,393.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't lose that badly to the Wiz without Beal! #FireCasey
I agree the wizards are like the best team at your local gym on pick up basketball night

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
teams who aren't even at the minimum salary floor can probably be included on this list.