• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who's really "tanking"?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Wembanyama Wildness has made this more of a thing this year, with all the jokes and talk about teams tanking left and right. But thinking about it, are that many really doing a full Process-style tank? For one thing, tanking doesn't improve your odds like it used to. And really, a lot of teams are just bad, or just in that phase of their cycle:

Spurs: these guys have been bad for a couple years now, are they really tanking though? All they did was trade their best player before having to pay him, and they clearly decided they weren't ready to or didn't want to build around him. So that's not a tank

Jazz: this looks like a team that (correctly) decided their 2 high priced stars weren't getting them very far, so they decided to trade them for lots of picks and rebuild. This is smart team management but it's not tanking. And you can't really call it that unless it goes on year after year.

Pacers: seems more like Spurs/Jazz than a deliberate 'tank'. This is where they are in the cycle.

Kings, Magic: doesn't feel like tank jobs, just perennially bad teams

Thunder: this to me is closest to an actual tank job, because they've been at it for a while and they routinely sit guys for no reason other than to lose games.

Rockets: similar to Thunder, sitting Wall all year, etc.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for the Thunder, I really think the verdict is still out. The last 2 seasons have been bad with 24 and 22 wins but the year before they were above .500. And of course everyone knows about the decade run before that. I cant really call anything they have done thus far this season tanking. Holmgren was horrible luck. SGA and Giddey both have actual injuries, but I don’t think they are very bad. If they aren’t playing in a few games I’ll be pissed like a lot of other people around here. I expect close to 30 wins this season, and then above .500 again starting next season.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean the spurs could’ve traded him last year or next year…

They just happened to do it the year suck dick for Vic is a thing?

Kings are trying to win…becuase they’re the kings

Someone will come from the back as well

My favorite was the year mil tried to gear up to make the playoffs…and picked second

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt the Pistons are tanking. But they’re 1-4 now, and it’s not nail biters they’re losing.

Just a really young team, that can’t play defense.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for the Thunder, I really think the verdict is still out. The last 2 seasons have been bad with 24 and 22 wins but the year before they were above .500. And of course everyone knows about the decade run before that. I cant really call anything they have done thus far this season tanking. Holmgren was horrible luck. SGA and Giddey both have actual injuries, but I don’t think they are very bad. If they aren’t playing in a few games I’ll be pissed like a lot of other people around here. I expect close to 30 wins this season, and then above .500 again starting next season.

All I know is that the Thunder aren’t terrible with SGA and Giddey.

If they somehow landed Vic?

And added Vic and Holmgren next year?

Sky is the limit. Might actually be a better core than KD, Russ, Harden, Ibaka. I think the pieces could actually fit reasonably well too.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt the Pistons are tanking. But they’re 1-4 now, and it’s not nail biters they’re losing.

You can't lose that badly to the Wiz without Beal! #FireCasey

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only 3 teams left that haven’t won a game. Orlando, Sacramento and Russ & the gang.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Wembanyama Wildness has made this more of a thing this year, with all the jokes and talk about teams tanking left and right. But thinking about it, are that many really doing a full Process-style tank? For one thing, tanking doesn't improve your odds like it used to. And really, a lot of teams are just bad, or just in that phase of their cycle:

Spurs: these guys have been bad for a couple years now, are they really tanking though? All they did was trade their best player before having to pay him, and they clearly decided they weren't ready to or didn't want to build around him. So that's not a tank

Jazz: this looks like a team that (correctly) decided their 2 high priced stars weren't getting them very far, so they decided to trade them for lots of picks and rebuild. This is smart team management but it's not tanking. And you can't really call it that unless it goes on year after year.

Pacers: seems more like Spurs/Jazz than a deliberate 'tank'. This is where they are in the cycle.

Thunder: this to me is closest to an actual tank job, because they've been at it for a while and they routinely sit guys for no reason other than to lose games.

I don't think tanking requires a year after year sequence. To me, tanking is trying to lose, whether by roster construction or intentional poor play.

Continuing to give Russ important minutes is borderline tanking lol. Lakers' brass doing so without even having a chance in the lottery really (both they and the Pels would need to miss the playoffs due to a swap).

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only 3 teams left that haven’t won a game. Orlando, Sacramento and Russ & the gang.

So much for that hot Kings preseason.

The only bonus for the Lakers is a relatively tough schedule for those 3 losses (GS, Clips, Blazers), same as the Kings. Knicks/Celtics/Hawks/Pistons for the Magic is a rung down.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers are tanking for the Pelicans…nvm they are just bad :D

Things are really bad in Lakerland right now. It's like they can't do anything right since getting Westbrook. So even if they would try to tank they'd probably fuck that up.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers are tanking for the Pelicans…nvm they are just bad :D

Hey, if the Pels miss the playoffs too.....

200.gif

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, if the Pels miss the playoffs too.....

200.gif

I know you are joking, but there was a Laker fan who was posting a couple weeks ago about how LA could get Vic.

Even if the Lakers and Pelicans somehow got picks 1 and 2 (pretty much impossible) the Pelicans would swap with LA and take Vic at 1.

So no.

No chance.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A lot of pieces coming together. It's probably not the worst thing ever if they do suck lol. But it would seem on paper this team should win at least 30 games.

But they are losing to teams that aren't even good.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know you are joking, but there was a Laker fan who was posting a couple weeks ago about how LA could get Vic.

Even if the Lakers and Pelicans somehow got picks 1 and 2 (pretty much impossible) the Pelicans would swap with LA and take Vic at 1.

So no.

No chance.

I saw some article a week or so ago that apparently stated how the Lakers could get VW. I didn't even bother to read it.

I wonder if he saw that same article.

Picklerick 2.0

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The sixers.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I openly admit Ive been tanking for about a year and a half

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can’t wait for the pels to get Vic or scoot

Then we can say the lakers broke the league lol