• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who's on the coaching hot seat as of week 5?

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a tricky situation. Hard to let go of the guy that made them relevant, but at the same time may also be holding them back. Are they enough of a name brand to succeed without him?

Unfortunately for Hokie fans, I'm not sure that there are very many big names that would come to Blacksburg. If you lose Beamer, it could actually be a step backwards in recruiting if you don't get a big name to replace him. Beamer was killing the recruiting trail there, but he had a system that worked well with the guys he brought in IMO.

The best chance the Hokies have is to get a guy who is an "up and comer" to coach your team, because I think the alternative will be an older coach who may be past his prime.

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I feel like a hypocrite for posting his name, I always say you have to give a coach 3 years but Texas may just have to make an exception.
It's not a crazy thought. A winning program with an impatient fanbase, plus no real signs of progress.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I guess that would be a better thread; Who's the next great coach that isn't a HC now? Who do you go after to replace these guys?

Yep. And I honestly do not follow it all well enough to say anything about who that might be.

Carolina, South, is generally the place where coaching careers go to die. It's not a stepping stone program and it's certainly not a destination program. We don't get the young up-and-comers; they get picked off by bigger programs all the time. And we don't get the established guys that have done great at another P5 school; they go to another blue blood or they stay put.

We get the guys that will never amount to anything, or the re-treads who came out of retirement and thought "it would be funny if I coached THERE..."

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, picking the coach of the black hole programs of Eastern Michigan and New Mexico State are always good bets.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I feel like a hypocrite for posting his name, I always say you have to give a coach 3 years but Texas may just have to make an exception.

I still think they will find a way to get rid of him, without having to look like the bad guys who didn't give him enough time to succeed. I think you may see a team like Miami fire their coach at season's end, and ask for permission to talk to Strong. IMO, he would be a great fit in Miami. Then Texas lets him out of his contract, and can then find someone new. Strong may want to get out of town anyway at that point.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he loses to Carolina he will not be permitted to go home and pack his things.

Losses to all 3 South Carolina, Vandy and Kentucky = I think so but wasn't said. They feel they are improved and just have to figure out how to win/finish games. If they slide back in those games, I don't think they will feel the same.

My source is someone inside the AD, but also have to understand they aren't generally going to talk negative about the program or people within it(don't even like to ask negative questions honestly). I've heard about Dooley, but only after the fact. He says Butch will be back next year and what I said about finishing games. If he was on the hotseat, I figure it would have been along the lines of - he needs to win and he needs to win now.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't have to be smart to be rich, I guess.

The Columbia Money can get in line behind the Austin Money and the Lincoln Money for the next fantabulous coaching hire

Lincoln money won't pay both Pelini and Riley and a NEW Coach. Nebraska will stick with Riley as long as he wins 5 games is my prediction. Although, on the Nebraska board I predicted Riley ti be 4-8 back in December 2014. Riley's history is that some top team will overlook his horrid team(Michigan State, Wisconsin, Northwestern) and Riley gets an upset.

I think Nebraska owes Pelini $1,500,000 per year or so for the next four years.

Wisconsin is stinging from how bad they played against Iowa(offensively) and Stave usually kills Nebraska. Northwestern and Nebraska have been good games so I don't think Northwestern overlooks Nebraska. That leaves Michigan State to be upset by Riley.

Eichorst has got to be on the hot seat though. If Riley puts Nebraska back into the 1950's with his coaching, the last time Nebraska was 2-3 was in 1959(although 1961 is close enough). Last time Nebraska was 2-4? 1959 with 1961 a close call. Nebraska's next three games are against all top defenses, Nebraska has not done well against Miami and Illinois, no reason to believe that flinging Tommy Armstrong and Danny Langsdorf(why run when you can throw) are going to fare any better against those defenses.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Losses to all 3 South Carolina, Vandy and Kentucky = I think so but wasn't said.

No way they lose all three, but I can see Kentucky blowing past them.

Vandy still Vandy.

StickItIn

Gobbledygooker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately for Hokie fans, I'm not sure that there are very many big names that would come to Blacksburg. If you lose Beamer, it could actually be a step backwards in recruiting if you don't get a big name to replace him. Beamer was killing the recruiting trail there, but he had a system that worked well with the guys he brought in IMO.

The best chance the Hokies have is to get a guy who is an "up and comer" to coach your team, because I think the alternative will be an older coach who may be past his prime.

You would think that since VT doesn't have to pay off a long list of coaching failures that the admin could easily pony up for a decent name. But I think you're right about who they could pull given how cheap they are.

As much as it grates some fellow Hokie brethren, I think RichRod is our best hope for a smooth non-sucky transition.

rolltide14_0

~V--I--P~
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,833.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta think Malzahn's seat is getting hot, and if he finishes how I suspect, he might be out.

Last season they have 5 losses, this season will be worse. They have almost certain losses against Bama, Uga, A&M, and Ole Miss. That's 6 losses there, and its 50/50 whether or not they beat UK and Arky. Auburn could easily be 6-6 or 4-8. They might give him another year, but idk.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leach isn't going anywhere. I know some people who are real close to that program and Leach is still highly regarded.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Charlie Strong is out of a job after the RRSO. I think Paul Johnson's seat is heating up quickly. He's about to be 0-4 in the ACC and still has Florida State and Georgia on the schedule. Tech was hyped so much that many people thought they had a chance to win the ACC, or at least the Coastal division. Now it's looking like they may miss bowl season altogether.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holgorsen could be sitting hot if we lose Saturday. A loss saturday and we are likely 3-4 heading into November. Add in loses to tech and k-st and maybe a texas team that has had our number and we miss on a bowl. He could be gone.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100% we need to fire Beamer

Whatchu talkin bout?

We have absolutely top of the line facilities, a fanbase that drastically wants to win, a strong amount of NFL alumni, VA, NC, SC, GA, DC, FL recruiting grounds/pipelines, and have a fantastic AD who isn't afraid to open the wallet.

I would bet we go the 'up and coming' route, but it's completely false to say VT couldn't attract and pay a $4 mil/year coach.