• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who Will Get The Rights To Shohei Otani?

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brings up a good question: Can a player play two non conflicting positions ... ie ... pitcher and DH?

Physically hitting and pitching ARE conflicting.
Somebody mentioned Joe Maddon's use of pitcher Travis Wood as a pinch hitter. Is it a coincidence he has only been able to stay healthy enough to pitch 200 innings once in 8 years while producing very little as a PH ?

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somebody mentioned Madden's use of Wood as a pinch hitter. Is it a coincidence he has only been able to stay healthy enough to pitch 200 innings once in 8 years ?
Travis Wood is also a glorified Loogy looking at his splits. *yea Royals*

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Travis Wood is also a glorified Loogy looking at his splits. *yea Royals*

I'm not at all sure ''splits'' are worth the effort to compile them. A straight forward look at his stats shows a pretty good pitcher who can't stay healthy. My question is did his being used as a hitter damage his arm or shoulder.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is she Asian? I love Asian chicks

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somebody mentioned Joe Maddon's use of pitcher Travis Wood as a pinch hitter. Is it a coincidence he has only been able to stay healthy enough to pitch 200 innings once in 8 years while producing very little as a PH ?

Maybe someone else will know if there is a rule against playing both pitcher and DH. Just for you edification conflicting was use in a manner that both positions are not play at the same time. If it is legal to do so, when a pitcher is removed from the game does is his playing DH also removed.

I know that you can decline to use a DH and let your pitcher bat, but that not what I am asking.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not at all sure ''splits'' are worth the effort to compile them. A straight forward look at his stats shows a pretty good pitcher who can't stay healthy. My question is did his being used as a hitter damage his arm or shoulder.
I did not see or am aware of any harm in limited time.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
22 year old right handed pitcher in Japan

Plays for the Nippon Ham Fighters NPB Pacific League in Japan

6 foot 4 inches tall......215 pounds

averages 11.2 strikeouts per nine innings

fastest pitch 102.5

And he is also a power hitter.....OPS of 1004...22 Home Runs in 382 plate appearances

He hits to all fields

Is Japan's Babe Ruth headed to the Majors?
i dont trust the japanese. seen too many come and not live up to the hype (daisuke) or come with arm trouble (tanaka).

hopefully this kid is the real deal.

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd prefer the Yankees go after Darvish this winter (if available), let someone else roll the dice on this kid.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's named after a couple of local Jap restaurants.

Otani was a hibachi steakhouse really close to me that had a long run, but folded about a decade ago.

Shohei is a sushi place a little north of me. On the higher-end of sushi joints for NE Ohio. Really consistent quality, but not too adventurous on their offerings.

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe someone else will know if there is a rule against playing both pitcher and DH. Just for you edification conflicting was use in a manner that both positions are not play at the same time. If it is legal to do so, when a pitcher is removed from the game does is his playing DH also removed.

I know that you can decline to use a DH and let your pitcher bat, but that not what I am asking.
DH can't be your pitcher. DH has to be someone else.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's my understanding the new MLB CBA has a rigid salary cap for international players who are under the age of 25. It would mean that Otani wouldn't get the "BIG" money. He seems not to care. If he wanted the "BIG" money he would have to wait until he's 25. He seems to want to play here next season.

correct. some guy was on Rome's show saying that him waiting this long probably cost him close to $100 million.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The DH Rule[edit]
There are a few peculiarities to the DH Rule (rule 6.10 of the Major League Baseball Rules):

• The DH is optional. A team may decide to bat its pitcher and not use a designated hitter in a game where it would normally be used. A few instances were Ferguson Jenkins on October 2, 1974 for the Texas Rangers against the Minnesota Twins; Ken Holtzman on September 27, 1975 for the Oakland A's against the California Angels; Ken Brett for the Chicago White Sox on July 6, 1976 at the Boston Red Sox; and Brett again on September 23, 1976 for Chicago against the Twins. Rick Rhoden, a pitcher, was a DH on June 11, 1988 for the Yankees against the Baltimore Orioles in a game in which he was not pitching.
  • The DH can play in the field, but once a manager decides to play him on defense, the pitcher immediately takes over the batting spot of the defensive player which the DH replaced (unless there are multiple substitutions, in which case the manager can decide where the pitcher will bat). The team then forfeits the use of the DH for the rest of the game. This happens a few times every season, and sometimes results in a pitcher being forced to bat in an AL game.
  • The DH spot is locked in the order. If the DH bats, for example, fifth in the order, no substitution can be made to move him to fourth or sixth, or anywhere else.
  • Any substitute for the DH, including pinch hitters and pinch runners are automatically considered to be the new DH, and the restrictions outlined above apply to them as well. These substitutes are listed in the boxscore as "Smith ph-dh" or "Smith pr-dh". This is how a number of AL pitchers end up with games as DH in their statistics: these are almost always the result of being used as a pinch-runner for the DH.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The DH Rule[edit]
There are a few peculiarities to the DH Rule (rule 6.10 of the Major League Baseball Rules):

• The DH is optional. A team may decide to bat its pitcher and not use a designated hitter in a game where it would normally be used. A few instances were Ferguson Jenkins on October 2, 1974 for the Texas Rangers against the Minnesota Twins; Ken Holtzman on September 27, 1975 for the Oakland A's against the California Angels; Ken Brett for the Chicago White Sox on July 6, 1976 at the Boston Red Sox; and Brett again on September 23, 1976 for Chicago against the Twins. Rick Rhoden, a pitcher, was a DH on June 11, 1988 for the Yankees against the Baltimore Orioles in a game in which he was not pitching.
  • The DH can play in the field, but once a manager decides to play him on defense, the pitcher immediately takes over the batting spot of the defensive player which the DH replaced (unless there are multiple substitutions, in which case the manager can decide where the pitcher will bat). The team then forfeits the use of the DH for the rest of the game. This happens a few times every season, and sometimes results in a pitcher being forced to bat in an AL game.
  • The DH spot is locked in the order. If the DH bats, for example, fifth in the order, no substitution can be made to move him to fourth or sixth, or anywhere else.
  • Any substitute for the DH, including pinch hitters and pinch runners are automatically considered to be the new DH, and the restrictions outlined above apply to them as well. These substitutes are listed in the boxscore as "Smith ph-dh" or "Smith pr-dh". This is how a number of AL pitchers end up with games as DH in their statistics: these are almost always the result of being used as a pinch-runner for the DH.

Good info ... Thank you!!!

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont trust the japanese. seen too many come and not live up to the hype (daisuke) or come with arm trouble (tanaka).

hopefully this kid is the real deal.

Also they lied and bombed Pearl Harbor, I don't forget that shit.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
correct. some guy was on Rome's show saying that him waiting this long probably cost him close to $100 million.

Not really up to him.

The team has to post him.

And it cost the team a nice chunk of change as well.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Tigers will obviously outbid everyone. Book that shit.