• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who will be the Seahawk starting QB in September?

Who is going to be the starter on day 1?

• Geno Smith

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Drew Lock

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • DeShaun Watson

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Carson Wentz

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jimmy G

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Jordan Love

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • 22' Draft pick

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Somebody else

Votes: 11 28.2%

• Total voters

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if he ends up the starter, I imagine lock will be throwing 20-25 passes a game MAX, they arent going to give him too many opportunities to screw it up.

our draft picks will probably be almost all defense and OL. as it should be.

So basically the same system we've had but with a less accurate and less dynamic QB behind center.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure. They can potentially rebuild the entire team. But we are resigned to mediocre to bad football for the next 2 seasons barring something remarkable like Pete Carroll turns into the QB whisperer and turns Lock into a legitimate starting QB.
I'm a little more optimist and think 2022 will bring mediocre results but 2023 could be similar to the 2012 season and I'd be good with that.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a little more optimist and think 2022 will bring mediocre results but 2023 could be similar to the 2012 season and I'd be good with that.

I would be thrilled with getting back to 2012. I just don't see why we should think that is going to happen. I don't think it is reasonable to expect ANY team to replicate the success the Seahawks had in the 2010-2012 drafts. They were just incredibly successful drafts. And the team hasn't had a draft close to ANY of those drafts since 2012.

And it wasn't just about having great draft position. In 2010 they did benefit by having 2 1st round drafts picks and drafting Okung and Earl. They also drafted Golden Tate, Walter Thurmond and Kam. In 2011 their 1st pick was #25 but they managed to draft KJ Wright, Richard Sherman and Byron Maxwell. Since 2013, they just haven't been able to hit on the big time late round picks or UDFAs at nearly the same rate. Carson was a great pick in the 7th round. You could reasonably argue that the team's best Day 3 pick since 2013 was Michael Dikckson.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So basically the same system we've had but with a less accurate and less dynamic QB behind center.
his arm strength makes him a good fit in the system, he just needs to be a game manager.

I think its clear that wilsons ego had a problem with playing that role.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really want Kaep but I desperately to believe that they have SOMeTHING like a plan

If Russell was the one who pushed the trade, then I think right now they may just still be in "run away from the fire" mode. As the story goes, they had an unhappy franchise QB who was a year away from a contract extension with the QB market just being reset at north of $50M/yr for the top guys. If that was the situation, then I think they're still just catching their breath after avoiding the collision. Now it's time to regroup and figure the shit out.

according to cowherd, the team believes drew lock is their guy. take that for what its worth.

I was a fairly regular watcher of Cowherd until he seemed to be increasingly interested in being hot take guy. A little too much name dropping and carrying on like he has more access than he really does. It could be a Drew Lock year though. He's inexpensive and won't cost us a SB run or anything. Coast a bit at QB this year, see what Lock can do with limited expectations and quality WRs, focus on building talent elsewhere on the roster, then re-evaluate after the season.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
his arm strength makes him a good fit in the system, he just needs to be a game manager.

I think its clear that wilsons ego had a problem with playing that role.

The Seahawks defense set records last year for allowed plays. Ground and pound football requires that your offense can soften the other defense up with a bunch of bruising running plays.

You can't do that if your offense goes 3 and out and then your defense gives up a 11 minute 13 play drive. Which is why the Seahawks ALSO had the fewest offensive plays of any team in football. By a LOT. Essentially the Seahawks defense played an entire game of football and the Seahawks offense played one fewer game than any other team. NO TEAM can succeed with such stark disparities.

If people want to believe that Russell Wilson is the reason for that, so be it. Makes no sense to me though. Russ didn't play on the defense.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Seahawks defense set records last year for allowed plays. Ground and pound football requires that your offense can soften the other defense up with a bunch of bruising running plays.

You can't do that if your offense goes 3 and out and then your defense gives up a 11 minute 13 play drive. Which is why the Seahawks ALSO had the fewest offensive plays of any team in football. By a LOT. Essentially the Seahawks defense played an entire game of football and the Seahawks offense played one fewer game than any other team. NO TEAM can succeed with such stark disparities.

If people want to believe that Russell Wilson is the reason for that, so be it. Makes no sense to me though. Russ didn't play on the defense.

last year wasnt the first time we had issues keeping the offense on the field

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Russell was the one who pushed the trade, then I think right now they may just still be in "run away from the fire" mode. As the story goes, they had an unhappy franchise QB who was a year away from a contract extension with the QB market just being reset at north of $50M/yr for the top guys. If that was the situation, then I think they're still just catching their breath after avoiding the collision. Now it's time to regroup and figure the shit out.

Aaron Rodgers publicly demanded to be traded last offseason. He said he would never play for the Packers again. Another MVP later and a monster contract signed and he seems pretty happy with his situation.

Of course the Packers have focused on giving him an environment to succeed. Can we really say that the Seahawks have done that with Russ? We had a mediocre OL in 2020 with no depth and we decided to trade for Gabe Jackson and draft a tackle in the 7th round.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
last year wasnt the first time we had issues keeping the offense on the field

Yes. This has been a persistent problem. PC always wants to establish the run early. But you can't do that if your defense is bad. It's just that simple. It is the reason why this team has been stuck in the same place basically since Sherman blew out his Achilles.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aaron Rodgers publicly demanded to be traded last offseason. He said he would never play for the Packers again. Another MVP later and a monster contract signed and he seems pretty happy with his situation.

Of course the Packers have focused on giving him an environment to succeed. Can we really say that the Seahawks have done that with Russ? We had a mediocre OL in 2020 with no depth and we decided to trade for Gabe Jackson and draft a tackle in the 7th round.
Yeah, Rodgers raised a LOT more ruckus than RW did and got rewarded with the biggest contract ever, while Russell is being blamed for having ego problems, not waiving his no-trade, never really wanting to be here, etc. Sorta funny how that goes.

My point was not to figure out who shot John with the trade but instead to muse where maybe PC/JS's mindset is right now so soon after a pretty big trade. We want them to have a sophisticated plan, but they might still be just trying to pick up the pieces and gather themselves after quite an explosion.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't envy the Packers situation at all.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Rodgers raised a LOT more ruckus than RW did and got rewarded with the biggest contract ever, while Russell is being blamed for having ego problems, not waiving his no-trade, never really wanting to be here, etc. Sorta funny how that goes.

My point was not to figure out who shot John with the trade but instead to muse where maybe PC/JS's mindset is right now so soon after a pretty big trade. We want them to have a sophisticated plan, but they might still be just trying to pick up the pieces and gather themselves after quite an explosion.

And I guess this is really why I have lost any faith in this organization right now. Because EVERYTHING points to PC/JS making the decision to move Russ because they wanted to move on from him. And that screams arrogance on their part. And, IMO, this speaks to their slapdash moves over the past few years.

Trade for Sheldon Richardson for a 2nd round pick. Let him walk the next offseason
Trade for Clowney for a 3rd round pick plus Jacob Martin. Let him walk the next offseason.
Trade for Jamal Adams for 2 1st round picks.

That's 4 draft picks we've given up and we STILL haven't solved our pass rush issues. They did make a nice move for Carlos Dunlap but he's a part timer at this point in his career.

They took all these big swings and basically whiffed on all of them. But instead of accepting responsibility for that, they decide to get rid of Wilson so they could recoup draft picks?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't envy the Packers situation at all.

They've won 39 games in the regular season over the past 3 years. 13-3, 13-3, 13-4. The Seahawks have won 13 games all of 2 times in our history.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if he ends up the starter, I imagine lock will be throwing 20-25 passes a game MAX, they arent going to give him too many opportunities to screw it up.

our draft picks will probably be almost all defense and OL. as it should be.
If that is the case (and it does seem to be true) then the team desperately needs 2 HBs who can take the extreme contact but avoid injury. This need is a key to PC's offense but unless you have a freak of nature like Marshawn it doesn't appear to be a realistic goal.

Did you see pics of Carson? He is in incredible shape. Yet, he can't stay healthy.
Penny was even worse. His teammates support him and state that he was finally healthy but for a guy who got injured if you looked at him sideways it seems a little suspicious that he suddenly was able to produce right when his contract was up.

Also, yes, the picks should be OL and D (and maybe a HB) but if you think that is what will happen then you haven't been paying attention to PC/JS drafts!
Expect the unexpected!

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've won 39 games in the regular season over the past 3 years. 13-3, 13-3, 13-4. The Seahawks have won 13 games all of 2 times in our history.
Due to weaker division AND Rogers being a better QB than RW... They could end up having 75 million a year into their QB and WR - I definitely would not envy that...

Reactions: MrS

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Due to weaker division AND Rogers being a better QB than RW... They could end up having 75 million a year into their QB and WR - I definitely would not envy that...

Well certainly having an elite QB under a rookie deal is preferable to having an elite QB on a max deal. But you know what is worse than both? Not having a competent QB.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, yes, the picks should be OL and D (and maybe a HB) but if you think that is what will happen then you haven't been paying attention to PC/JS drafts!
Expect the unexpected!

Just don't reach, thats all I want.