• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who has leverage in the Suh contract talks?

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if it means we can't sign decent free agents?.

To a certain extent, yes. I like our house talent, think Caldwell will get them developing further and faster than we have seen. Teams that build their core or large portions of their teams via free agency are not as consistently good as those that have an eye for talent and develop those players. The Lions should be focused on the latter. Mayhew brought in talent and Schwartz and company failed to turn that wins. Caldwell has to better with that or we won't see changes.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get your point but how many times has a team signed an Albert Haynesworth only to watch the guy under perform and become an anchor?

Lots, but I don't see that happening with Suh. He's an animal out there and seems to really love playing. I can't see him cashing in and then coasting.

Fairley on the other hand... yeah.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To a certain extent, yes. I like our house talent, think Caldwell will get them developing further and faster than we have seen. Teams that build their core or large portions of their teams via free agency are not as consistently good as those that have an eye for talent and develop those players. The Lions should be focused on the latter. Mayhew brought in talent and Schwartz and company failed to turn that wins. Caldwell has to better with that or we won't see changes.

I think what you post may be true but it's outside the point in that why sign him now?

He plays 2014 under his contract and he risk a serious injury. He signs a hometown friendly contract extension then yes it's worth the risk for a discount.

Wait and pay market value what Suh wants right now and take a risk he leaves.

IMO I take the risk he is willing to leave. If he goes we still get his cap space.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think what you post may be true but it's outside the point in that why sign him now?

He plays 2014 under his contract and he risk a serious injury. He signs a hometown friendly contract extension then yes it's worth the risk for a discount.

Wait and pay market value what Suh wants right now and take a risk he leaves.

IMO I take the risk he is willing to leave. If he goes we still get his cap space.

I think your question kind of answers itself. If he gets to free agency he is long, long gone. Some sorry franchise with a ton of cap space like the Browns will pay him well above what market value would dictate just to bring in his star power. If we want to keep him it has to be now.

The consolation prize, as you pointed out, is at least a lot of extra cap space and a comp pick at the end of the 3rd round...