• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Where should top defenders go?

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*Full article attached as .pdf file

ESPN Insider - Bowen: 10 perfect fits for 10 top defensive prospects
By Matt Bowen

Jalen Ramsey is the NFL's next super freak, a defensive back with ideal size (6-foot-1, 209 pounds), sprinter speed (4.41 40 time) and ready-made physicality. Corner? Safety? Nickel? I don't care where you play him; just get this guy on the field and coach him up. He's going to be a star.

But as we discussed Thursday when breaking down the best fits for top offensive prospects, some teams mesh Ramsey's skill set better than others. Which coaching staff can get the most out of the Florida State product who just put on an athletic clinic during the NFL combine in Indianapolis?

Here are the teams that give some of the top defensive prospects in the 2016 NFL draft the best chances to succeed in Year 1.

CB/S Jalen Ramsey: Titans
The Titans need to forget about perceived positional value and pick Ramsey No. 1 overall. He is the top overall player in this class, and he has an extremely rare skill set. The former Seminole has pro size, speed and leaping ability that scouts dream of (41.5-inch vertical, 11-foot-3-inch broad jump). Ramsey's combination of coverage skills and physicality makes him a unique chess piece the Titans can build around in their secondary. The key here? Don't pigeonhole Ramsey based on a specific position. He can play cornerback or safety. He can roll down over the slot or blitz as a dime defender. Just put him in a position to make plays at the point of attack. Like any young defensive back, he has to make the transition. There will be a learning curve on the field, and the Titans would have to ride that wave his rookie season. But working with assistant defensive backs coach Steve Jackson in Tennessee, the best teacher I've been around, Ramsey can develop into an All-Pro. He's a special player.

Honorable mention: Chargers, Cowboys, Jaguars

DE Joey Bosa: Cowboys
Bosa didn't run an elite 40 time at the combine (4.86), but don't kid yourself about the Ohio State product: He's the top pass-rusher in this class, based on his game tape, size (6-foot-5, 269 pounds) and physicality. Bosa is also scheme-versatile. NFL teams can play him as a 4-3 DE, bump him inside to DT or line him up as a DE in a 3-4 front. That's big when he is rushing the passer out of nickel fronts, which are becoming more and more common in today's NFL. With the Cowboys, Bosa would step in to take the place of Greg Hardy at DE and work closely with defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli. That's a beautiful thing. Marinelli is known as a guy who teaches technique and gets the most out of players. Bosa would thrive under his tutelage. The Cowboys need to find some consistency along their defensive front, and Bosa would be a good place to start.

Honorable mention: Chargers, Jaguars, Ravens

View attachment 94692

CB Vernon Hargreaves III: Ravens
Hargreaves is a top-10 talent, a pure cornerback with the footwork, transition ability and ball skills to produce in the pros. The Florida product didn't burn up the 40-yard dash at the combine (4.50), but the tape and his positional workout tell us he plays with great game speed. He is quick to accelerate out of his pedal. Plus, he has the leaping ability and explosive lower-body power (39-inch vertical, 10-foot-10-inch broad jump) to climb the ladder and find the ball with his 5-foot-10, 204-pound frame. In Baltimore, Hargreaves would give the Ravens some much-needed new blood in the secondary. With Jimmy Smith under contract through 2019, the Ravens would have two man-coverage corners for the foreseeable future. That creates flexibility with pressure packages and allows the defense to play matchups. Hargreaves could be off the board before Baltimore picks at No. 6. He has that type of talent. But if he's there when the Ravens are on the clock, it's the right play.

Honorable mention: 49ers, Dolphins, Buccaneers

LB Reggie Ragland: Bears
Ragland carries a first-round grade because of his size (6-foot-1, 247 pounds) and physicality at the linebacker position. The Alabama product ran a 4.72 40 at the combine, and that works when you watch his tape or go back to his performance at the Senior Bowl. Ragland showed some pass-rush ability in Mobile by overpowering blockers at the point of attack. Would it be a reach for the Bears to draft Ragland at No. 11? Not when you look at the desperate need in Vic Fangio's 3-4 defense for a stud at inside linebacker. This unit was soft up the middle in 2015; it allowed 4.54 yards per carry between left and right guard (28th overall). With Ragland, you fix that. Add a downhill linebacker, a player who fills a need and brings immediate toughness to the defense. Fangio knows a thing or two about coaching stud LBs -- remember those 49ers' defenses with Patrick Willis and NaVorro Bowman? -- and Ragland would feel right at home in John Fox's culture in Chicago.

Honorable mention: Jets, Bengals, Packers

DE DeForest Buckner: Chargers
At 6-foot-7, 291 pounds, with long arms to keep blockers at bay (nearly 34½-inches), Buckner fits the mold of a 3-4 DE. Think of Arizona's Calais Campbell: big, strong and athletic, with the length to defeat offensive tackles one-on-one. Plus, he has hands the size of a baseball mitt (11¾ inches). That's ridiculous. Like Bosa, Buckner is going to provide some scheme flexibility, especially in nickel pass-rush situations where he can showcase his explosive power and footwork to get to the quarterback. Move him around to find matchups to exploit. That's the name of the game in the NFL. I can't see Buckner getting out of the top five, and the Chargers would be wise to grab him at No. 3. San Diego is desperate for talented bodies up front, and the upside with Buckner is off the charts. You have to think defensive coordinator John Pagano is lobbying hard for this one.

Honorable mention: Jaguars, Ravens, 49ers

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ramsey: Titans
Bosa: Giants
Ragland: Dolphins.
Buckner: Niners. (Long arms = Niners)
Hargreaves: Raiders (more his range, imo)

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ramsey: Titans
Bosa: Giants
Ragland: Dolphins.
Buckner: Niners. (Long arms = Niners)
Hargreaves: Raiders (more his range, imo)

Who should Titans go with? Tunsil or Ramsey?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who should Titans go with? Tunsil or Ramsey?
I would roll the dice on Ramsey. The only knocks on him are that he doesn't get INTs and he isn't a physical hitter but Florida St basically lined him up like a Michigan St CB on an island frequently like a Dennard and Ramsey was actually quick enough to get back. He'd also break off into zone and he'd leave his man to make plays. Frequently Florida St would blitz him on both run downs and passing downs.

He is the guy people wanted Kenny Vaccaro to be. Much more gifted imo.

I think most conventional wisdom would be to take the offensive tackle, though. I just think that Ramsey is a potentially very special player like a Von Miller or a Khalil Mack.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would roll the dice on Ramsey. The only knocks on him are that he doesn't get INTs and he isn't a physical hitter but Florida St basically lined him up like a Michigan St CB on an island frequently like a Dennard and Ramsey was actually quick enough to get back. He'd also break off into zone and he'd leave his man to make plays. Frequently Florida St would blitz him on both run downs and passing downs.

He is the guy people wanted Kenny Vaccaro to be. Much more gifted imo.

I think most conventional wisdom would be to take the offensive tackle, though. I just think that Ramsey is a potentially very special player like a Von Miller or a Khalil Mack.

The Titans could make a push for Kelvin Beachum in FA to play LT...and free themselves up to take perhaps the best DB prospect since Patrick Peterson....absent of that I think you take Tunsil.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta go with Tunsil vs Ramsey. They made their investment at QB, now protect him. Beachum is an OK option, but if he was remotely on Tunsil's level he wouldn't be leaving Pittsburgh.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta go with Tunsil vs Ramsey. They made their investment at QB, now protect him.
I'm okay with this as long as people are realistic with the notion that Tunsil is probably going to walk in and play RT at best and not LT. The top 2015 Olinemen walked in a played guard. None of the other 1sr rounders had any positive impact to my knowledge. 2014 had Greg Robinson, Jake Mathews and Taylor Lewan so enough said there. Zack Martin walked in and played guard. 2013 had Eric Fisher, Luke Joeckel and Lane Johnson.

This notion that the top guys are going to come in and protect the QB from harm is hilarious to me. The best way to protect Mariota is a run game and Tunsil can help with that. Thats about as far as Id go.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta go with Tunsil vs Ramsey. They made their investment at QB, now protect him. Beachum is an OK option, but if he was remotely on Tunsil's level he wouldn't be leaving Pittsburgh.

Beachum was a udfa I think, not the prototypical size for a LT...Tunsil is considered for #1 overall...idt anyone would try to put Beachum on the same level as Tunsil talentwise.

But, you can make the argument for Beachum or a vet LT in general...so far, everyone is young on that OL...Beachum is starter material with above average production. He'd be the leader of that OL. If you can get him under peak value, and take Ramsey, you have two immediate starters.

If you take Tunsil, you probably have the better long term player, but he's only as good as the nucleus and you still need to fill the back end position.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm okay with this as long as people are realistic with the notion that Tunsil is probably going to walk in and play RT at best and not LT. The top 2015 Olinemen walked in a played guard. None of the other 1sr rounders had any positive impact to my knowledge. 2014 had Greg Robinson, Jake Mathews and Taylor Lewan so enough said there. Zack Martin walked in and played guard. 2013 had Eric Fisher, Luke Joeckel and Lane Johnson.

This notion that the top guys are going to come in and protect the QB from harm is hilarious to me. The best way to protect Mariota is a run game and Tunsil can help with that. Thats about as far as Id go.

Because it's not the norm to stick the highly drafted rookie @ LT out of the gate...that wouldn't deter me from taking Tunsil at 1...but signing a FA LT and using the draft pick on Ramsey is actually more appealing to me. Say you sign a Beachum or a Penn...an established starter...with some coaching up...you have plugged two holes with quality players.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because it's not the norm to stick the highly drafted rookie @ LT out of the gate...that wouldn't deter me from taking Tunsil at 1...but signing a FA LT and using the draft pick on Ramsey is actually more appealing to me. Say you sign a Beachum or a Penn...an established starter...with some coaching up...you have plugged two holes with quality players.
I feel like Tunsil's main advantage is to be a good run blocker in a zone blocking scheme but I don't see elite level strength for a power scheme or elite pass blocking measurements like Tyron Smith's arms that are 2+ inches longer than Tunsil's arms. There is a debate that arm length doesn't really matter but I think Tunsil can be beat on the edge and might struggle against super quick Robert Quinn types. If thats just a blip in game tape I'm watching then he can be a Trent Williams pro bowl type. He could go multiple directions.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is what I would do. They have the money to spend so why not get a guy that day 1 can actually step in and protect your Franchise QB and has actually proven it at this level then you can actually take BPA at 1 depending on what you are looking for. We have seen that OL seems to take the longest to develop in the NFL so you could have 2 Pro Bowl caliber players instead of 1 that won't show it for another 2-3 years.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like Tunsil's main advantage is to be a good run blocker in a zone blocking scheme but I don't see elite level strength for a power scheme or elite pass blocking measurements like Tyron Smith's arms that are 2+ inches longer than Tunsil's arms. There is a debate that arm length doesn't really matter but I think Tunsil can be beat on the edge and might struggle against super quick Robert Quinn types. If thats just a blip in game tape I'm watching then he can be a Trent Williams pro bowl type. He could go multiple directions.

While I like the vet LT FA and Ramsey, the pro Tunsil pick is not bad strategy...realistically this team should not expect to be playoff caliber until '18 at the earliest...3 yrs for the young OL to grow as a unit.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what I would do. They have the money to spend so why not get a guy that day 1 can actually step in and protect your Franchise QB and has actually proven it at this level then you can actually take BPA at 1 depending on what you are looking for. We have seen that OL seems to take the longest to develop in the NFL so you could have 2 Pro Bowl caliber players instead of 1 that won't show it for another 2-3 years.

Yep....imo TN is realistically '18 season away from being a legit playoff contender if you have such a young OL...getting a vet helps establish a leader of the group as well...maybe you can shave off a yr and be more playoff ready in '17.

Ramsey does make sense to give you that legit star caliber talent on the back end of the DEF....TN does need an edge rusher, but there's nobody @1 I would take.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep....imo TN is realistically '18 season away from being a legit playoff contender if you have such a young OL...getting a vet helps establish a leader of the group as well...maybe you can shave off a yr and be more playoff ready in '17.

Ramsey does make sense to give you that legit star caliber talent on the back end of the DEF....TN does need an edge rusher, but there's nobody @1 I would take.
Mariota showed flashes and year 2 is usually when a big jump is supposed to happen. If his receiving corp stays healthy, the pass offense should be competitive. They need a run game and they need to be better at oline and defense but that can be built quicker than 2-3 years. The problem Tenn had with their oline is that they went all in on making it the best and totally failed miserably. But Arizona, New England and Seattle had some pretty major oline issues and they did just fine. Not a deal breaker in making the playoffs in a division with no lead dog.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariota showed flashes and year 2 is usually when a big jump is supposed to happen. If his receiving corp stays healthy, the pass offense should be competitive. They need a run game and they need to be better at oline and defense but that can be built quicker than 2-3 years. The problem Tenn had with their oline is that they went all in on making it the best and totally failed miserably. But Arizona, New England and Seattle had some pretty major oline issues and they did just fine. Not a deal breaker in making the playoffs in a division with no lead dog.

If they get a vet LT, '17 is not unreasonable to have a run at the DIV. But...I think the soph jinx is something to be concerned about because the DCs have a lot more tape and yr 3 was the break out yr.

But either way...they need a playmaker in the front 7 and on the back end to turn that ship around by '17.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The thought process here though is that you can get an OL guy that has proven he can do it in this league well in either Penn or Beachum or say go spend big on Russell Okung. Then let's say they do love Jalen Ramsey as the best player in this draft then you can truly use that pick on him. Corners/Safeties usually translate quicker to the NFL level so you could have 2 high caliber players year-1 instead of hoping to have your OL player develop over a 2-3 year period.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better be sure you're getting the next Peterson and not the next Dee Milliner or Mo Claiborne. Just the fact that they aren't sure whether he's better suited at FS or CB would scare me off #1 for him. How many FS have been picked #1 overall, or even CB for that matter?

I still take Tunsil. The sooner you draft your LT of the future, the sooner he's ready. You can always go get a FS or CB in free agency as well.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better be sure you're getting the next Peterson and not the next Dee Milliner or Mo Claiborne. Just the fact that they aren't sure whether he's better suited at FS or CB would scare me off #1 for him. How many FS have been picked #1 overall, or even CB for that matter?

I still take Tunsil. The sooner you draft your LT of the future, the sooner he's ready. You can always go get a FS or CB in free agency as well.
The Titans are in a weird spot where they are best off trading down even if they are only getting a small fraction of an RG3 deal. If I'm being honest then thats what I would do.

Carson Wentz has the most value in this draft and thats what I would cater to.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I guess I view him like what the Cardinals have in Matheiu in you can move him around depending on the week. I also like guys who have played both safety and Corner in they can see the field in a very different way compared to those stuck at one position their entire college career.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Also for me I watched one game of his and had to stop. I know the Broncos have no chance at getting him so why continue to drool over a kid that my team has no chance. That is all it took though was watching one entire game. Now maybe I watched one of his best games but when I read that he did the very things I saw over his entire college career then it just for me secures that talent.