• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

when going to the yard, you guys ever come in contact with

sfsportsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this guy who hangs out in the parking lot(not the on-site lot, but the one right next to the bridge, across embaracadero from that big pier where they did the x-games, and other events). awful explanation but i dont know the street names.

anyway, he'll stop cars as they're exiting the lot and say his car broke down, he ran out of gas, no one will help him. its the same story every time.

he got me last season one game, and me being the idiot i am, gave him a couple bucks. then later that season he used the same bit on my dad. so far this season he's tried me 3 times, and i've told him he's used it on me before. last night i had my window down and he did his usual bit, throwing his hands up to try to stop you as you drive by. my window was down, so i was like "i know, i know, it happens every night."

I just want to see I'm not the only one whos fell for this dudes shtick. :rollseyes:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't hate the playa, hate the game!

I used to get pissed at pan-handlers. I would yell at them (in my head, not out loud) telling them to get a job, yada yada.

Then, I extended the conversation in my head to include a thoughtful response from them (I know, I am weird like that) and their response floored me.

Imaginary "he" told me that he makes a ton of money panhandling, makes his own hours and doesn't have to put up with a BS boss. If he were to go get a job at McDonalds, he would make about 1/3 the money AND pay taxes on it AND live by someone else's schedule AND put up with a 19 year old stupid manager.

Shit, putting it that way, where do I sign up?

BTW, this is pretty close to how it actually went in my head...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So now I get more pissed at the people giving money to panhandlers than anything.

They have yet to give me a good imaginary explanation for THEIR actions...

sfsportsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^lmfao.

tbh, it is true, and im sure that dude makes a good chunk of change, considering he's there every night. i would just have a hard time begging and running the risk of someone i know seeing me.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never give money to pan-handlers. Years ago I used to, but 99% of the time they are lying (or using it to buy drugs). Instead, I'll offer to give him some food (or buy him a bottle of water when it's really hot). At that point it's VERY obvious whether they really need the money : he hungry guys who really need help say yes right away. I've had guys insisting they need the *money*, not food. So I say no and walk away. If they follow and argue I say "hey man - other people screwed it up for you. I've had people ask for money for gas at the gas station and then they drive away without buying any gas. I've had people ask for money for food and 3 minutes later I see them in the store buying a six-pack. Because of that, I just don't give money anymore. Sorry."

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once at a gas station, a guy approached me.

Him: "See that van down the street? My van. My wife's pregnant. I got robbed. I'm trying to get to XXXXXXX. Can you give me a couple bucks for gas?"

Me: (feeling particularly Christian and generous) "I will do you one better. If you bring your van here, I will fill it with gas."

Him: "Well, the van has run out of gas. My wife's pregnant. My kids are sick. I got robbed. I'm trying to get to XXXXXXX. Can you give me a couple bucks for gas?"

Me: (feeling particularly Christian and still generous) "No problem. You get in the van and steer, and I will push it here to the gas station, and I will fill it with gas."

Him: "Well, that's nice of you. But my wife's pregnant. I got robbed. My kids are sick. My parents need me. I'm trying to get to XXXXXXX. Can you give me a couple bucks for gas?"

Me: (feeling less Christian and less generous) "Did you hear me? I will push your van here. All you have to do is steer. To fill your tank would be over $40 (back in the day). And you are passing that up for a couple of bucks? I WILL FILL IT WITH GAS."

Him: "I need a couple bucks for gas. My wife's pregnant. I got robbed. My kids are sick. My parents need me. I lost my job. I'm trying to get to XXXXXXX. Can you just give me a couple bucks for gas?"

Me: (done) "Evidently you don't understand English, are bad at finances, or just a scam artist, or all three. See you around. Hope things work out for your wife.

:L:L:L:L

A Darwin Award Winner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In grad school, I was copying some papers at Kinko's. Heard a guy going from person to person giving a hard luck story about being sick, losing a job, needing to get back to Alabama. (I was in Pasadena.) Could he get a few bucks for a bus ticket?

Some friends of mine and I walked with him to the Pasadena bus station (a few blocks away). We bought him a ticket, and gave him some money for food. We pray for him. He thanks us profusely. We go away feeling good about ourselves.

Two months later, I am at the same Kinko's. I hear the same story behind me. I turn around, and it is the same guy. (Surprise, right?) I say, "Didn't we put you on a bus to Alabama two months ago? What the heck are you doing back here?!?!?"

His jaw dropped, then he moved at warp speed to get out of there.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I was about 8 years old, my mom and I were at the store. After coming back out to the car, a guy was walking up to us and proceeded to tell his story (which I vaguely remember) and asked for some money. My mom said the typical "no sorry yada yada yada...". As he walked away I asked my mom why can't we just give him my candy bar that I begged her for. After she paused and thought about it, she called him back and offered him the candy bar (didn't want me interacting with him). She handed it to him and he took one look at it and threw it on the ground and walked away, muttering some harsh words. I was extremely confused.

My mom gave me a little lesson about how these guys usually want money for the wrong reasons and how it's better to give them something useful (I don't think even she was expecting that kind of reaction though).

Now, living in Eugene I'm still trying to figure out what angle these guys have. There are a TON of beggars here. But I feel like it's not like the city where most are just trying to take your money, and it rains a lot here and gets really cold in the winter time. They also use dogs, which is a soft spot for me. At the same time, drugs are a major issue here and they are probably the reason people are on the streets anyway. And I swear I've seen the same dog with like 4 different people.

A few months ago though, I was in my car at a stop light and it must have been 30 degrees outside and getting colder. There was a man on the corner, so I called him over and gave him my car blanket, and he thanked me. 2 days later at the same stop light, I see the guy wearing the blanket I gave him. He saw me and gave me a thumbs up. Made my day. Moral of the story, I'm going to stock up on blankets.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I was about 8 years old, my mom and I were at the store. After coming back out to the car, a guy was walking up to us and proceeded to tell his story (which I vaguely remember) and asked for some money. My mom said the typical "no sorry yada yada yada...". As he walked away I asked my mom why can't we just give him my candy bar that I begged her for. After she paused and thought about it, she called him back and offered him the candy bar (didn't want me interacting with him). She handed it to him and he took one look at it and threw it on the ground and walked away, muttering some harsh words. I was extremely confused.

My mom gave me a little lesson about how these guys usually want money for the wrong reasons and how it's better to give them something useful (I don't think even she was expecting that kind of reaction though).

Now, living in Eugene I'm still trying to figure out what angle these guys have. There are a TON of beggars here. But I feel like it's not like the city where most are just trying to take your money, and it rains a lot here and gets really cold in the winter time. They also use dogs, which is a soft spot for me. At the same time, drugs are a major issue here and they are probably the reason people are on the streets anyway. And I swear I've seen the same dog with like 4 different people.

A few months ago though, I was in my car at a stop light and it must have been 30 degrees outside and getting colder. There was a man on the corner, so I called him over and gave him my car blanket, and he thanked me. 2 days later at the same stop light, I see the guy wearing the blanket I gave him. He saw me and gave me a thumbs up. Made my day. Moral of the story, I'm going to stock up on blankets.

:agree: :thumb: :amen: :angel:

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing. If you talk to real people who have bad luck, don't have a job or money. They are too embarrassed to walk around and ask people for money. Ironic in a way

notmyfault

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The panhandlers angle is a) drugs/alcohol, b) food on occasions, and c) they have some type of mental illness -- whether that is drug-related, or born into, I'm not sure.

But I'd bet my house on it that the above angle is right on for the majority (70%+) of the panhandlers.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used to walk around SF with $4 or so in quarters for panhandlers. About ten years ago I heard a rabbi on NPR explain how giving these folks money is actually NOT a mitzvah (good deed) but rather continues the cycle of poverty and is incredibly disrespectful. He explained that a true mitzvah would be to work at a food bank or donate to a nonprofit that gets people off the street. I've never given money to beggars since, but I do participate in an org that feeds people and I do donate to several such orgs.

Works for me.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used to walk around SF with $4 or so in quarters for panhandlers. About ten years ago I heard a rabbi on NPR explain how giving these folks money is actually NOT a mitzvah (good deed) but rather continues the cycle of poverty and is incredibly disrespectful. He explained that a true mitzvah would be to work at a food bank or donate to a nonprofit that gets people off the street. I've never given money to beggars since, but I do participate in an org that feeds people and I do donate to several such orgs.

Works for me.

My former church in inner city Los Angeles used to give out food every Friday. Usually about 3,000 pounds. We'd get it from the Los Angeles Regional Food Bank, local grocery stores like Vons and Ralphs, and local bakeries. It was all run by volunteers, and it was a great blessing to the folks we served: low income, seniors, homeless.

I think you can do more by contributing to an organization that helps the needy, (the rabbi was wise), but I also don't think that let's us (me?) off the hook for meeting personal needs, if appropriate. I will not give people money, but I will buy folks a meal, and try and sit with them through the meal and listen.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That is a great story. Thank you for that.

‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Mt 25:40

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You mean you haven't bought one of Frog's joke books to support his heroin habit?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean you haven't bought one of Frog's joke books to support his heroin habit?

You mean the world's funniest joke book!?

Hell no :rollseyes:

picture-2.png