• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

whats your take ?

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so with brian matusz being left off the team this series. what does it tell us about next year ? i have been thinking for a long time matusz is a goner next season . reason being his cost as a loogy is very high . they can spend it on trying to keep miller .

2 what do you think about cruz ?
i think cruz will give the o's a great chance to sign him . i would be worried about length of the deal .

3 someone may over pay for young so he maybe gone next year .

4 i think sir peter will pay or re do nicks contract . i will be shocked if the greek god will ever wear another teams uni .

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so with brian matusz being left off the team this series. what does it tell us about next year ? i have been thinking for a long time matusz is a goner next season . reason being his cost as a loogy is very high . they can spend it on trying to keep miller .

i think cruz will give the o's a great chance to sign him . i would be worried about length of the deal .

4 i think sir peter will pay or re do nicks contract . i will be shocked if the greek god will ever wear another teams uni .

I think the main reason Matusz was left off the roster is they wanted to justify Ubaldo's ridiculous contract so they had to keep him on the roster so Matusz was the odd man out in terms of long relievers. I think he'll resign as it probably wouldn't take too much to re-sign him I wouldn't think.

2. I think Cruz legitimately wants to stay here. It'll just depend on what his asking price is whether or not he actually does. Because I can see plenty of teams willing to pay a high enough price to get him to leave. If he does leave, I'd like to use that money towards keeping Miller or giving Wieters or Davis a long term contract.

3. I can see Young leaving. He's almost like the Robert Horry of MLB. Would love to keep him as a solid bench player though.

4. I agree with this. I think Nick likes it in Baltimore and the fans like having him in Baltimore. I'd be shocked if something isn't done and he goes somewhere else.

all4ripken

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe Matusz is gone, and I think the writing has been on the wall for a while now. His usage in the 2nd half of the season certainly dwindled. That being said, I'd still like to see him get another crack at starting (wishful thinking), but that would all depend on the rotation going into next year, which at this point seems very crowded. Frankly, he isn't worth his contract for a situational lefty that he has become.

I think they HAVE to attempt to resign Cruz. And frankly, I don't think anyone is going to offer him a 5-year+ deal given his age (34, will be 35 mid-season next year) and the whole steroid deal. I think the O's could get him in the 3-year $45-48mil range.

True, but you can't invest much in a guy who mostly pinch-hits. It's a shame that he's a liability in LF as everyone knows how clutch he has been for them offensively this year in very limited opportunities. I'm sure he would have DHed a lot more often this year if Cruz weren't such a liability in the field as well...

I'm not 100% sold on this. I'd like Nick to finish his career with the O's, but obviously not for $17mil next year for a guy who hits around .280 with 15 hrs. Stellar D, but without the prototypical offensive stats for a RF, his contact NEEDS to be reworked in order for him to stay.

All that being said, I'm still riding the wave and enjoying this season/postseason. It's kind of depressing to think about who we will lose next year, so I try to live in the now with this team.

Elginbaylor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Matusz was left off because Tigers' only lefty is their catcher. Royals have 4 lefties in their lineup including the 2 guys who just hit game-winning homers so expect Matusz and maybe T.J. to be back next round.
Miller is probably gone. He'll get a fat contract to be a closer somewhere.

2. Don't know why they only gave Cruz a 1 year deal for $8 mil when DH was such a hole last year. Cruz and J.J. Hardy will each get $15 mil qualifying offers. That's $30 mil right there.

3. Young is probably gone with the emergence of Steve Pierce and improved play from Lough. I don't get how this dude managed to accumulate a -0.9 defensive WAR in 18 games.

4. Markakis' batting + fielding stats are not that good for a corner outfielder. A Lough/Pierce platoon is much better. But I expect Markakis to be back since he's a leader on the team. Maybe $8 mil~ $10 mil a year.

Our $10 million starting five rotation is gonna get really expensive the next few years. So either the Orioles win the World Series and Sir Peter pays up, or some key guys won't return.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Matusz was left off because Tigers' only lefty is their catcher. Royals have 4 lefties in their lineup including the 2 guys who just hit game-winning homers so expect Matusz and maybe T.J. to be back next round.
Miller is probably gone. He'll get a fat contract to be a closer somewhere.

2. Don't know why they only gave Cruz a 1 year deal for $8 mil when DH was such a hole last year. Cruz and J.J. Hardy will each get $15 mil qualifying offers. That's $30 mil right there.

3. Young is probably gone with the emergence of Steve Pierce and improved play from Lough. I don't get how this dude managed to accumulate a -0.9 defensive WAR in 18 games.

4. Markakis' batting + fielding stats are not that good for a corner outfielder. A Lough/Pierce platoon is much better. But I expect Markakis to be back since he's a leader on the team. Maybe $8 mil~ $10 mil a year.

Our $10 million starting five rotation is gonna get really expensive the next few years. So either the Orioles win the World Series and Sir Peter pays up, or some key guys won't return.
i can see the o's letting both davis and matt walk or traded next year . simple reason they haven't been worth their pay this year . jj is the key one we have to keep him atleast 2 more years .

stealth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Young stays he was clutch all season.....I would ask Davis to take a cut in pay as well as Jimenez (restructure some contracts). If the Os win the world series they will have leverage to ask. Miller definately stays, the key is to keep as many of the players that got you to the postseason. Flaherty, Schoop, Hundley Joseph are trade bait. With Weiters comeback if any you keep a catcher. De Aza is a keeper but DD has to draw some lines somewhere

NJBuckO's

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keeping JJ, Miller, Cruz and Delmon over MW and Davis(who seems like a 30 hr guy most years). I'd like Wieters back but not at a huge cost, the problem is if they are in the playoff race next August they'll keep him through the year then get nothing. Walker could maybe replace Davis F/T in 2016.

stealth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keeping JJ, Miller, Cruz and Delmon over MW and Davis(who seems like a 30 hr guy most years). I'd like Wieters back but not at a huge cost, the problem is if they are in the playoff race next August they'll keep him through the year then get nothing. Walker could maybe replace Davis F/T in 2016.

forgot about walker and Buck didnt seem too upset with Davis' suspension...."the rules are the rules and everyone knows them"

I saw Pearce 3 years ago keep him as well .....great utility player

NJBuckO's

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
forgot about walker and Buck didnt seem too upset with Davis' suspension...."the rules are the rules and everyone knows them"

I saw Pearce 3 years ago keep him as well .....great utility player

And I think that will hurt him in managements eyes going forward. Luckily Pearce is signed through next year which is nice. Paredes I'm not sure, but De Aza is.

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think prioirty number 1 should be to resign Hardy, then probably Miller. Matusz will probably be gone.

Markakis and Cruz only probably stay around if they don't want a ton of money. We have De Aza who can play right and Pierce in left with Davis/Walker at first. If we keep hardy then we can keep Manny at 3rd.