• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What will it take to get to a NC?

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since the game on Monday, I have heard many contemplate on VT football and what should be done to get to the next level (getting to and winning a NC). I personally think it involves hiring a set of coordinators within our offense who can establish some level of balance within our team. They don't have to be as gifted as Foster and his staff, but at least execute to the level where they are reliable.

When you speak to people who know college football (i.e. Bill King on Rivals Radio) and ask them about Tech, they will tell you our formula for winning is special teams and defense. And that it's not in our DNA to have a sexy offense. Well personally I could care less about a sexy offense and I think that is sometimes confused when people talk about where we are at with Stinespring. I just think we need a reliable coordinator.

Thoughts?

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
My problem with our offense is that I don't think any of the coaches are utilizing the talent there.

We were told the offensive line was the most athletic we've seen. They are also experienced in most positions to provide a cohesive. And yet the couldn't stop a thing. It could be that Boise was stacking the box, but their dline was running around us. This year was Newsome's guys, but I question his ability to coach them.

Then there's O'Cain. Another guy who has done a poor job at developing QBs, letting Tyrod regress before he could progress. I'd like to see what he can do with Logan Thomas and see if it takes him as long to develop as it did with Tyrod. Couple that with his inability or lack of willingness to recruit.

And then there's Stinespring. I don't think that he can't call a good game, but that he can't do it consistently. His inability to end the game on Monday was just another reason why I can't get my hopes up with VT. They cannot overcome the offensive burden placed by its coaches to seriously make a national title run.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my problem with stinespring is he over thinks himself over and over again..

every season he calls a million draw plays.. well draw plays dont work at all when you have very little passing game..

i also cant, for the life of me, figure out why he doesn't roll tyrod out more often.. guys best attribute is his mobility, and he leaves him in the pocket.. the 3rd and 8 play with 2 minutes left should have been tyrod rolling out to the right, seeing if he had an easy completion, or taking off.. i dont care how predictable that is, thats what it should be.. there's a reason its predictable.. either that or a bubble screen which worked for 5-10 yards just about every time we ran it on monday

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohhh the irony...

What a waste of talent on our offense. Our OL still looks horrible - circa 2008 timeframe. Are there any coaching ramifications from this debacle?

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm wondering if they'll ever 'get it' when it involves the O-line. If we're going to be a power rushing team, we've got to recruit the talented linemen coming out of high school. UVA has been able to get very good linemen over the years, while we seem to settle for recruiting TEs and hopefully bulking them up so that they could be a more agile OL. Has that worked yet? No.

Every year it seems our QB is running for his life and our RBs are trying to make something out of nothing. This year is nothing different. Can't run the ball when you're constantly seeing 2 defensive players in your face as soon as you get the ball. Granted, BSU's defense is very good, but they were getting in the backfield with utter ease. JMU should not have been able to do the same. I know both teams have been loading the box to stop the run, but teams have been doing that for years.

There have been a ton of mental mistakes in each facet of the game. That is NOT VT football. I don't mind losing to another team when we're playing the way we should be and they're obviously the better team. I just can't stand losing when we're beating ourselves with penalties, turnovers, missed tackles, and poor special teams. The players only meeting that TT called after the game will hopefully right the ship and show these guys that there is still a lot to play for (including an ACC title and BCS berth), it will just take a lot of work. Is everyone willing to put that amount of work (heart) in or will they toss in the towel 2 games in? If they have any respect for TT (which I believe they do), then I expect the team to turn it around.

As to the original question regarding what we have to do to seriously compete for and win a NC:

1. recruit a stable offensive line (every NC has one)
2. recruit a true pocket passer (won't need a dual threat if he doesn't have to run for his life due to #1)
3. better playcalling (specifically the redzone - it has been horrid for too long)