• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What the fuck are the Braves thinking- interested in Chris Sale?

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Braves Should Be Wary of Becoming the Diamondbacks | FanGraphs Baseball

"They’ve had talks with teams about trading for still another starter, most notably Chris Sale, 27, a native of Lakeland, Fla. The five-time All-Star left-hander is under contractual control for three more seasons at below-market rates — $38 million total in that three-year span including two option years — and has finished in the top five of the American League Cy Young Award balloting for four consecutive seasons after finishing sixth in his first season as a starter in 2012.

The Braves have also inquired about the Rays’ Chris Archer and Athletics’ Sonny Gray, but Sale is their focus, a person familiar with the situation said.

The price for Sale could be enormous, likely a package including multiple top prospects. The Braves have said they’re not at a point in their rebuild where they’re ready to trade top prospects to fill in gaps, but to get an ace they seem at least willing to consider changing that plan."

This article will be right if this shit happens. 2016 Diamondbacks == 2017 Braves

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While all things in passing glow, when put to action it often doesn't go glowingly. This doesn't really make a ton of sense unless there are some prospects they aren't high on internally have currency elsewhere. If true, that raises other questions, but that's ultra speculative here. I am always shy to come down hard on teams flirting with these situations like the Braves just because it strangely worked out for my team, but that's probably not good methodology when running a baseball team.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're really going in on after their 2nd half performance, aren't they? The problem is, most of the players responsible for their abysmal first half are still on the team. Even with Sale, that pushes most of their projections to, what, ~76 wins?

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bit of a surprise for them to be after Sale. Would he want to stay there though? The Braves could be good in a few yrs. but for right now they don't look much better than the White Sox.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a fan of going after Sale. We made a lot of good trades to rebuild our farm system, and I'm not in favor of selling the farm for Chris Sale.

We're not contending this year, a successful season would be finishing close to .500, which is possible, and the second half of last season gave me hope we can be competitive(competitive, not contenders).

Only decent prospect I wouldn't mind trading would be Mallex Smith. I think we either need to trade him or trade Markakis. I'm fine with either, but there's really not room for both.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This article will be right if this shit happens. 2016 Diamondbacks == 2017 Braves
Chris Sale>Shelby Miller

A key difference IMO. They definitely want to open their new ballpark with a flourish. Stockpiling young arms for a couple years now, it may be time to use some of those chips. Sale, at 27 and with a very friendly and controllable salary would be an exciting get. The offense was very good after the allstar break but the concern for next year was pitching. Getting a couple decent innings eaters like Dickey and Colon paired with Teheran and Sale would be a solid rotation to go with an improved offense.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there was a lot more reason to be skeptical about Shelby's performance going forward than there is with Sale, not to mention Sale is a much better pitcher to begin with.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Sale>Shelby Miller

A key difference IMO. They definitely want to open their new ballpark with a flourish. Stockpiling young arms for a couple years now, it may be time to use some of those chips. Sale, at 27 and with a very friendly and controllable salary would be an exciting get. The offense was very good after the allstar break but the concern for next year was pitching. Getting a couple decent innings eaters like Dickey and Colon paired with Teheran and Sale would be a solid rotation to go with an improved offense.

they're also relying heavily on some of those hitters to sustain their 2nd half performances. Freeman's a very good player, but he probably won't hit that well (177 wRC+, .389 BABIP). Inciarte probably won't hit .341/.396/.440 (.387 BABIP) either. Kemp gives most of his offensive contributions away with his horrid defense.

Atlanta Braves Leaderboards » 2016 » Batters » Dashboard | FanGraphs Baseball

the offense might not be as bad as the first half would suggest, but they still project to have one of the worst offenses in the NL next year. Only the Phillies, Padres and Brewers are currently projected to score fewer runs.

Depth Charts » Projected Standings | FanGraphs Baseball

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see little reason to go all in now, especially in this seller's market.

I like what they did. They might be able to flip some of those guys at the TD anyway to add more bats to the farm. Ride out the process for one more year.

But damn did that Oliviera trade come back to bite them. They could trade Wood right now for a pretty decent bat or some hitting prospects. And they wouldn't have money tied up in HO or Kemp.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But damn did that Oliviera trade come back to bite them. They could trade Wood right now for a pretty decent bat or some hitting prospects.
I am not so sure Wood's value would net much right now. He is coming off two injury plagued seasons -pitching 70 and 60 innings the past two seasons.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not so sure Wood's value would net much right now. He is coming off two injury plagued seasons -pitching 70 and 60 innings the past two seasons.

this is incorrect. Wood pitched 189.2 innings in 2015. He pitched 70.1 innings with the Dodgers after the midseason trade. He did miss significant time this year though.

He's a young pitcher almost making league minimum, though he is arbitration eligible after next season. He isn't a FA until 2020.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is incorrect. Wood pitched 189.2 innings in 2015. He pitched 70.1 innings with the Dodgers after the midseason trade. He did miss significant time this year though.

He's a young pitcher almost making league minimum, though he is arbitration eligible after next season. He isn't a FA until 2020.
Mea Culpa on that one. I liked him as a Brave. Apparently some in the organization felt his delivery was potentially problematic from a health (elbow) standpoint. His delivery is also what makes him deceptive IMO...

I am not defending the Olivera trade. It was Coppy's only Donkeyfucktarded move since he has been the GM.

Amazing they were able to unload him and actually get production from Kemp (.519 SLG and .855 OPS). Freeman also thrived with Kemp protecting him.

I wonder if Wood will eventually be a more effective bullpen arm..?

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Braves have been surprisingly aggressive. They must really be trying to put on a show in their new park or something

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what the Braves are doing. Garcia likely isn't going to do much for them but they also didn't give up much for him.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Braves have been surprisingly aggressive. They must really be trying to put on a show in their new park or something
Dickey
Colon
Garcia

Who wouldnt be excited:suds:

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what the Braves are doing. Garcia likely isn't going to do much for them but they also didn't give up much for him.

Gant and Ellis have potential. Gant showed signs in the Majors last year.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's adorable.
I dont care about the braves but I can't stand that chop. Once or twice is whatever but it just goes on and on and on and on. The playoffs were so painfaul.