• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What draft decision will the Lions regret most?

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone of us are armchair GMs! If we were not we would have nothing to say or argue about. So looking at the draft in retrospect what move will the Lions regret the most?

Keep in mind every move would create a ripple effect so it really has to be about one move. For example if you thought Malcolm Brown would be a better fit then thats about it. You can't say it would change who we could have taken later in the draft as everyone's picks would change after that change.

For me passing on D.J. Humphries in the first. With Ramirez to play the guard the right tackle spot could have been filled with a guy I am starting to think is one of the top 3 O-Lineman in the draft.

VulturesRule

Nothing To See Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not drafting a developmental QB in a later round. No specific round in mind, no specific developmental guy but seeing that brought into the culture.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What was the guys name we drafted last overall years ago...."Toone"? That dude actually played a little lmao........Why not draft a 1st round talent in the 7th round and roll the dice........Risk vs Reward.......Guessing since he wasn't drafted and his agent said if "he wasn't drafted in the first 3 rounds Collins wouldn't sign"

Messed up situation, who did the Lions take with there 7th round pick? I'm guessing Collins would have been the better risk........

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Passing on Jarrett may have been a bad idea. I battled on him or Coleman. Grady won out.

What sucks is may not find out for a few years on who haunts us. May find out by week 4 also.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Collins if innocent.......hahah

Yes, but in the end that will haunt 31 teams all together.

I realize most players were passed over by 31 teams at some point. However a first round grade becoming a UDFA will sting many teams.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The most glaring possibility to regret something is obviously AA over Coleman in round 2.
Even if Coleman was off the board, drafting Abdullah wasn't something I'd ever worried aboot happening.

Signing Zenner takes some of the sting out. But there were so many guys available in the 2nd, I'm still at a loss as to why Mayhew pulled the trigger on stubby fingers.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really want to know what they saw in Gabe Wright. Trading a pick to get him could for sure be their biggest regret. I really don't care what the draft experts say about someone...because usually that amounts to a pile of beans. Again...curious about what they know that may have affected his unimpressive senior season. Was he playing through an injury all year?

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really want to know what they saw in Gabe Wright. Trading a pick to get him could for sure be their biggest regret. I really don't care what the draft experts say about someone...because usually that amounts to a pile of beans. Again...curious about what they know that may have affected his unimpressive senior season. Was he playing through an injury all year?
Gabe Wright may have been a first-rounder as a junior, but shaky technique dropped him, Mel Kiper says | MLive.com

Per Kiper, technique is an issue.

"Gabe Wright was outstanding two years ago, he was an outstanding player in 2013. Had 8 1/2 tackles for loss, three sacks, really flashed what I thought was first or second-round ability," he said. "Those numbers dropped across the board. Senioritis, whatever it was. You'd have thought he would've gone high based on talent, his athletic prowess jumps out at you."

Wright played in all 52 games during his four-year career at Auburn, never missing time due to injury.

He was also one of the strongest defensive linemen at the NFL Combine, putting up 34 bench press reps -- ranking No. 2 at his position.

The Lions gave up a third round choice in 2016 to move up Saturday and snag Wright, and if the team can clean up his technique and make him more consistent, then analysts believe this could be a successful move.

"Until his technique catches up with his talent, you'll have some wild fluctuation in terms of production," Kiper said. "His stock dropped as a senior, nowhere close to what it was as a junior."

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I remember talk of him coming out last year and being one of the top prospects at DT if he did. Hoping Washburn and Austin can turn him into something special. Hopefully the issue was just technique and not laziness. Otherwise we have Fairly part 2.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First regret, Mayhew making the picks. 2nd, the DT we took when I thought better players were there without even trading away a 2016 pick, although I was all in favor of a move like that pre-draft given the 3rd comp next year.

3rd, and my biggest, another draft where we took no risk on players with huge upside potential in the later rounds. Passing on the Oregon CB when we soooo badly need help there just adds to my belief that he has no vision whatsoever and blows ass as a GM

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First regret, Mayhew making the picks. 2nd, the DT we took when I thought better players were there without even trading away a 2016 pick, although I was all in favor of a move like that pre-draft given the 3rd comp next year.

3rd, and my biggest, another draft where we took no risk on players with huge upside potential in the later rounds. Passing on the Oregon CB when we soooo badly need help there just adds to my belief that he has no vision whatsoever and blows ass as a GM

I can definitely agree with Olomu. Cleveland took him right behind us and may have got a steal. He will have all season to recover.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure this regime has the time to afford a luxury pick who can sit on the bench for a year and heal up. Win now or go home.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure this regime has the time to afford a luxury pick who can sit on the bench for a year and heal up. Win now or go home.

We've been saying that for a few years about this regime. Two of the last three drafts -- we have had next to no production from those classes as rookies. Out of the 2011, 2012 and 2014 drafts -- the only player who made any type of real impact is Titus Young as a rookie.

Thank goodness for the 2013 draft class. :)