• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What could have been.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
B Marsh, M Forte, M Bennett, J Ratliff plus draft picks used to replace these guys. If we still had these players and used our draft picks at other positions, we would be a much better team today. This is what is bugging me. This is where I lose some faith in Pace. I'm NOT here to whine but to look back a little at what could and should have been. I do think we have upgraded the coaching staff and the depth of the team overall, but losing all our playmakers will keep us down a few more years. I did not need to be this way. We lost major talent and replaced them with cheaper less talented players. I will give a third year to this rebuild before I start bitching but all is not well in Chicago. We are doing some things right and some thing wrong, But I am not convinced we are better off now then 3 years ago. We went from having a few stars with scrubs around them to no stars with better medium players across the board. We are younger but are we better??

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, they are going to tell you that its gonna take time to clean up this mess Emery left this team with, dont let the great move for their franchise quarterback cloud the legacy of the shit job Emery did. They will forget about the Ray McDonald fiasco, where the GM put the owner in a hard place by having him give final approval.

Personally, I still believe Fox has the say and is directing this whole deal, so its the pair of them that I am holding accountable. A great coach like Fox should have been able to find a way to deal with Marshall, not just run the problems away. They whine about Marshall needing to go just about as much as they whined that Jay had nobody to throw the ball to last year.

Pace is learning on the job, his formal training was watching Loomis do what Peyton told him to do. Thats the only reason he deserves some slack right now, so when he is thrown to the curb, lets remember who hired him.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off. Brandon Marshall was not on Pace's watch. I repeat. Marshall was gone before Pace got here.

J. Ratliff has always had issues. What happened with him had NOTHING to do with Ryan Pace, that shit is on Ratliff 100%. Plus, where are all his suitors? He must be starting for someone? Oh wait, no team has picked him up since his little tirade.

Forte and Bennett were shrewd business moves. That's about it. Two big-named players, past their respective primes, dumped at just the right time IMO.

Bears have arguably, the best coaching staff in the league and they are ABSOLUTELY KILLING IT so far this offseason.

Yet, here we are.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
B Marsh, M Forte, M Bennett, J Ratliff plus draft picks used to replace these guys. If we still had these players and used our draft picks at other positions, we would be a much better team today. This is what is bugging me. This is where I lose some faith in Pace. I'm NOT here to whine but to look back a little at what could and should have been. I do think we have upgraded the coaching staff and the depth of the team overall, but losing all our playmakers will keep us down a few more years. I did not need to be this way. We lost major talent and replaced them with cheaper less talented players. I will give a third year to this rebuild before I start bitching but all is not well in Chicago. We are doing some things right and some thing wrong, But I am not convinced we are better off now then 3 years ago. We went from having a few stars with scrubs around them to no stars with better medium players across the board. We are younger but are we better??

We will find out. I do like the moves, wasn't feeling that strongly the Bears should keep a pass catching RB which was the best part of Matt's game. The younger RB's are better runners from scrimmage to my eyes. Bennett didn't want to be here last year, forgetting this year. To me that was evident as well. If he is happy in NE, look out. The defensive moves this year, I'm really happy about. Our D, at least on paper, will not be as soft as it was last year.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Noon... I asked myself some of these questions when this latest regime change came to Chicago. Why do these guys deserve my fandom? Why should they get the golden pass that age, high cap values, and off field behavior shouldn't effect them?
When I thought of it honestly- They shouldn't... THEY DIDN'T WIN... At all. (of course there was many factors that lead to losing games, but these key players didn't help.)
I liked Marshall (his first two years) Bennett's "black unicorn" schtick was interesting/funny for awhile. Ratliff's skill, strength, and perceived leadership of a the Dline was great. Until it wasn't.
All these guys COST A LOT of money!! And they are all tipping the age scale in the wrong direction.
IF the BEARS were coming off multiple playoff seasons and winning more- I could understand keep some of these guys- but they simply didn't. It was time to move on.
While all performed well on the field for the most part, each of their last seasons in Chicago was a down year and filled with injury...ALL three of these guys also portrayed attitudes that didn't benefit the team. Each badmouthed the coaching staff and/or teammates. All had off field issues that effected the team and divided the fan base.

*Matt Forte will go down as one of my all time favorite Bears. And his situation, for me, is a little different. I would have loved to have him back, at a lesser price. With his injury last year I can see the need to move on in a position that is easier to replace with late round picks or bottom feeder FA's that are MUCH cheaper. (I also see a better line with Long back at G and the new RT making the running game better for fresher/younger RB's)

I don't know if Pace is going to find the right guys to replace them. But I'm gaining faith that he can. MUCH more than Angelo and waaay more than Emery. It's never easy to move on from established vets that still have some game left, finding that timeline when skills diminish and performance doesn't reflect pay is always difficult.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 questions I would like you guys to answer. 1. Are we a better team right now, compared to 2 years ago? 2. If we kept BM, MF, Bennett and used our 1st rd pick on Def would we be a true playoff team this year? Take into account I mean with our current team, adding back these 3 players. Again I am far from bitching or complaining. I'm just asking the questions we all should.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off. Brandon Marshall was not on Pace's watch. I repeat. Marshall was gone before Pace got here. ( Did not know that, I must admit)

J. Ratliff has always had issues. What happened with him had NOTHING to do with Ryan Pace, that shit is on Ratliff 100%. Plus, where are all his suitors? He must be starting for someone? Oh wait, no team has picked him up since his little tirade. (Ratliff fked Ratliff. I know that.)

Forte and Bennett were shrewd business moves. That's about it. Two big-named players, past their respective primes, dumped at just the right time IMO. (shrewed business moves for the Jets and Pats, we kinda got fucked. MF did not want big money and he would have taken less here. In Bennet we lost a top TE to move up two rounds to a 4th rd pick. I disagree with us making shrewd moves with these players.)

Bears have arguably, the best coaching staff in the league and they are ABSOLUTELY KILLING IT so far this offseason. (totally agree, we are doing some very good things.) (And some dumb ones IMO.)

Yet, here we are.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*Matt Forte will go down as one of my all time favorite Bears. And his situation, for me, is a little different. I would have loved to have him back, at a lesser price.

He was making 8 per, he took 3/12 from the jets. Is that Lesser price enough? The choice was to slam the door shut, not leave it open with a call us with your best offer if you want to see what is out there and then decide to stay. In my opinion, Matt deserved that. There was no major move made other than bringing back Rodgers again who was immediately hurt last year and did not do much anyway. Could have done 6 million next year then three and three, or five four and three, but instead, no negotiation at all for a model citizen.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OMG dude... Why does everything have to have some conspiracy theory to it?
You over simplify and than over exaggerate what you perceive are slights.
When you say "slam the door shut" you make it out be some pissed off thing that the Bears were being mean! They simply moved on... and to clarify my statement... I wouldn't have been opposed to bringing Matt back... But I'm not disappointed they didn't either. Even that $12M would be money best spent elsewhere. You rather have a 30 year old Forte for 3 more years or a 26 year old Travathan? Because that could have been the difference.
How about the 4 or 5 more guys on one year deals they will eventually sign to fill depth going forward.
It's business dude. AND just so you understand, THEY DIDN'T Have to make a move at RB those guys are already in the building on rookie contracts! If they want to sign another younger vet, I'm fine with that too, but I don't think you need a superstar RB in the NFL.
Good luck cheering for the Jets. J.E.T.S Jets, jets, jets!!

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 questions I would like you guys to answer. 1. Are we a better team right now, compared to 2 years ago? 2. If we kept BM, MF, Bennett and used our 1st rd pick on Def would we be a true playoff team this year? Take into account I mean with our current team, adding back these 3 players. Again I am far from bitching or complaining. I'm just asking the questions we all should.
Were we a good team with those guys? Even when they were younger and more productive?

Yes, I believe we are a better team now.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off. Brandon Marshall was not on Pace's watch. I repeat. Marshall was gone before Pace got here.

J. Ratliff has always had issues. What happened with him had NOTHING to do with Ryan Pace, that shit is on Ratliff 100%. Plus, where are all his suitors? He must be starting for someone? Oh wait, no team has picked him up since his little tirade.

Forte and Bennett were shrewd business moves. That's about it. Two big-named players, past their respective primes, dumped at just the right time IMO.

Bears have arguably, the best coaching staff in the league and they are ABSOLUTELY KILLING IT so far this offseason.

Yet, here we are.

I could not have said it better. I share the same optimism, milkshake.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Noon... The Bears are better than two years ago. The coaching staff is better, they have arguably a much better GM (at least it sure seems so), and they are getting key players that are young with upside in the future. Second question is yet to be seen, but I suspect we will be pleasantly surprised this season to see these young guys playing their guts out.

I am very excited about this team.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OMG dude... Why does everything have to have some conspiracy theory to it?
You over simplify and than over exaggerate what you perceive are slights.
When you say "slam the door shut" you make it out be some pissed off thing that the Bears were being mean! They simply moved on... and to clarify my statement... I wouldn't have been opposed to bringing Matt back... But I'm not disappointed they didn't either. Even that $12M would be money best spent elsewhere. You rather have a 30 year old Forte for 3 more years or a 26 year old Travathan? Because that could have been the difference.
How about the 4 or 5 more guys on one year deals they will eventually sign to fill depth going forward.
It's business dude. AND just so you understand, THEY DIDN'T Have to make a move at RB those guys are already in the building on rookie contracts! If they want to sign another younger vet, I'm fine with that too, but I don't think you need a superstar RB in the NFL.
Good luck cheering for the Jets. J.E.T.S Jets, jets, jets!!

All I asked was if 3/12 was a low enough price for the Marcus Allen of our time who has not been beat to hell before 30? Last year it was we would not have gotten Amos if we kept Marshall, always looking for the excuse. Now you are saying every dollar of Forte's contract went to Travathan? I thought there was a shitload of cap space to sign these 4-5 million dollar guys.

Yes, we have not won with those guys, we have not won with the quarterback either, and now the guy that was responsible for half the offense is gone too.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yet, here we are.

I agree with this. Getting rid of Marshall was a terrible move, but it wasn't on Pace's watch. So far, Pace seems to be doing a solid job in sharp contrast to Emery.

The big test will be whether Langford pans out. If we got rid of Forte for a below average starter (who is gonna be 24-25 next year, so he's not exactly a prospect), that will lower my opinion of Pace quite a bit.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is the def better = yes. Is the O better = no. Is the coaching staff better = yes. Is the STs better = no. I'm not trying to be negative here guys but fixing the Def and screwing up the offense is not that great for me. If the O leads the league in 3 & outs, then the fixed Def will be worse then ever. Seems like you boys have no qualms about any moves made. We do have a much better schedule this year so I see a better record. My problem on a whole is we are losing major talent on one side of the ball and adding talent to the other side of the ball. That equals zero net gain for me.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We lost Bennett and Forte. Bennett missed allot of last season and he wasn't really even missed as Miller stepped up and had a great season. Is Miller as good as Bennett? Prolly not, but hes cheaper and not a constant headache. Forte was great for us. HOFer IMO. But he missed some games last year and is on the wrong side of 30. Langford showed enough last year, to warrant being on the field. Maybe not every down yet, but between him and Carey and Rodgers, the RB position doesn't bother me too much. I think RBs are a dime a dozen across the league. Do Denver or Carolina have a back as good as Forte? The answer is no.

I think we've already improved our oline by moving Long back to Guard, and more could happen thru the draft. And I think the hope is that getting White on the field improves our WR group right there.

I don't see the O taking some big step back. Theoretically, they should be better being it the 2nd year in the system.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with this. Getting rid of Marshall was a terrible move, but it wasn't on Pace's watch. So far, Pace seems to be doing a solid job in sharp contrast to Emery.

The big test will be whether Langford pans out. If we got rid of Forte for a below average starter (who is gonna be 24-25 next year, so he's not exactly a prospect), that will lower my opinion of Pace quite a bit.

I dont understand why people keep saying the Marshall move was not on Paces watch. Pace was hired in January, Marshall was traded in March. Who made that trade? All we got was the fifth round pick which turned into Amos, but we also gave the jets a 7th in the process.

I just do not agree with anyones perception of Forte. I think they missed alot last year not playing Langford and Forte together enough. Forte could have split out like he usually did and gotten a linebacker matchup.

Is the def better = yes. Is the O better = no. Is the coaching staff better = yes. Is the STs better = no. I'm not trying to be negative here guys but fixing the Def and screwing up the offense is not that great for me. If the O leads the league in 3 & outs, then the fixed Def will be worse then ever. Seems like you boys have no qualms about any moves made. We do have a much better schedule this year so I see a better record. My problem on a whole is we are losing major talent on one side of the ball and adding talent to the other side of the ball. That equals zero net gain for me.

Took away alot of Cutlers weapons, hoping Jeffrey will stay on the field this year and White plays well. But teams are not going to be game planning for Langford like they did Forte. Even Payton was used as a decoy in the super bowl. The only thing I am happy about is none of these players were given 8-10 million per year like the Allen and Houston signings. That makes me feel better about these linebackers we got and seeing the lesser named guy had more tackles that Trev, makes me think he is more of the solid pickup. I did like what Jones gave our team on the inside though, being an undrafted free agent, but he should cycle in enough. Our defensive line problems was that all the tackles were playing end last year, it wasnt like a 3-4 with one nose tackle and two big ends, it was like three tackles, and getting around them was not a big problem. Still think Sutton and Ferguson still have upside and having Hicks to actually play DE should help the inside game.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Google it AI. Marshall has played two seasons with the Jets, Pace has been here for one. Marshall was traded in 2014. Pace hired in 2015.