• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What could have been for the Rockets

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
n Kevin McHale's first year as the Rockets' head coach, he helped guide Houston to a 34-32 record in the lockout-shortened season, surpassing all expectations. Like so many other teams, Houston was planning to make a splash in the summer of 2012, hoping to score Dwight Howard via trade or Deron Williams via free agency.

Instead of hitting it big, Rockets general manager Daryl Morey completely struck out, and instead decided to settle for a pair of above-market-value contracts to restricted free agents Omer Asik and Jeremy Lin.

As it turned out, Morey pulled off the genius trade to get James Harden a handful of months later, and then pried Howard away from the Los Angeles Lakers the following summer. All is well that ends OK, I guess.
However, did Morey's dreams of bringing in Williams and Howard keep him from retaining the biggest bargain of the summer of 2012?

Houston spent the first half of its up-and-down 2011-12 season with Kyle Lowry as its point guard, and the Villanova product was en route to a career year before going down in early March with an injury. Before getting hurt, Lowry averaged 15.9 points, 7.2 assists, 5.3 rebounds and 1.8 steals a night for the surprising Rockets, nearly earning his first All-Star bid.

Meanwhile, Goran Dragic played second fiddle to Lowry, averaging just 7.5 points, 3.4 assists and 20.1 minutes per game up until Lowry went on the shelf. When Lowry went down, though, Dragic took the team by the horns, and pushed it to new heights. During Lowry's absence, Dragic averaged 18.5 points (52% FG and 44% 3pt), 8.8 assists and 2.0 steals per game.

When Lowry was finally ready to return to the lineup, McHale did his best to ease him back into the rotation, but ultimately decided to keep Dragic as the starter. Within a week, Houston started to fade, dropping six games in a row and falling out of contention. It was clear that Lowry's return had messed with the chemistry, and it was later reported that Lowry was unhappy with his reduced role.

We'll never know how much Lowry's negative attitude actually affected the team (although, I'm of the belief it cost it a playoff berth), but, either way, Houston entered the offseason with a number of decisions to make. Morey wanted to grab a couple stars and abandon most of the surprisingly competitive roster; he was only able to do the latter.

Morey traded Lowry to the Toronto Raptors for 50 cents on the dollar, amnestied Luis Scola and dealt Samuel Dalembert to move up a few spots in the draft. But, worst of all (in retrospect), he let Dragic walk in free agency. At the time, it wasn't clear whether the Phoenix Suns had made the right move offering Dragic, who had only started 36 games in four seasons, $30 million over four years, but time has validated the move.

What if Morey would have offered the three-year, $25 million contract to Dragic instead of Lin (which actually could have happened)? More importantly, what if Dragic would have accepted the deal and stayed in Houston?

Y! SPORTS

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dragic is better than Lin. Would have had him for cheaper as well.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston has a good team, but what I have believed is just like Yao Ming and McGrady they have a good team that contends, but falls short in the playoffs and if you remember the Rockets won something like 25 games in a row - it was very impressive. I still am going to stay with that because Jeremy Lin is not that good. They just don't have the role players to count on in clutch time in my opinion

dwcmwa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ROFL at the Rockets overpaying Lin (the worst player in the league) AND Asik.

Two very dumb decisions by their management.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Asik is worth the $8.3m a year, Lin obviously not but for over seas jersey sales I am sure that was pretty profitable.

HOU could have been really sick, but they might be back on their way. What if they add a Melo, Bosh or LBJ this offseason?

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, though Linsanity had been extremely popular that year, it was before the Rockets got Harden and they were desparate for that one good player that would be stupid enough to join their team

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the biggest question of them all....can they possibly hold on to Chandler parsons with the contracts of Lin and Asik? I think not. Either they take the team option this upcoming year, and he becomes an UFA the year after, or they don't take the team option and he becomes a restricted free agent(giving them the CHANCE to match any offer). At some point, Chandler Parsons is going to get a fairly big contract from someone, and I don't think it's going to be the Rockets

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some teams are making all the wrong moves, and are in deep trouble

Some make right and wrong moves

Some make all the right ones

In general, in the Western Conference, Houston is mostly making the right ones. Pheonix seems to be another. WC teams in general are getting stronger and wiser.

Its clear which ones are getting dumber as well

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rockets have sold more than enough Lin jerseys in China to pay that money back ten fold. And yes this have very much to do with them getting Lin

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lin is still a good player.

You can make much better 'what ifs' with a lot of other teams (Blazers, OKC, Memphis, T'wolves, Pistons, Suns, etc) so it is what it is at this point. Houston got Howard and Harden and now there fate has totally changed. You have to move good players if you never bottom out.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry but have to disagree with you there. Half that, MAX!

I would like to see the days for 20 to 30 million a year contracts vanquished with a max of 8 to 12 year. It is rediculous to allow players to be signed for 8 million a year when they don't bring home that many wins. He is a good player though and worth about half - I agree on that

LAKERSUSCBAM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait, don't they have the "best" Center in the league?? We do know Shaq doesn't think he is and he's right....if it were Shaq at D12's age/prime with HOU, they'd be tearing up the WC by now

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rockets have sold more than enough Lin jerseys in China to pay that money back ten fold. And yes this have very much to do with them getting Lin

That's a good point actually because they also had Yao Ming and so now they have a history of signing Chineese players from their country which will make them a popular team in China

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry but have to disagree with you there. Half that, MAX!

If he wasn't 7 foot then I would agree but he is and there is a huge premium on that non teachable skillset.

I would like to see the days for 20 to 30 million a year contracts vanquished with a max of 8 to 12 year. It is rediculous to allow players to be signed for 8 million a year when they don't bring home that many wins. He is a good player though and worth about half - I agree on that

It is the owners that should take a pay cut, not the players. I do not think there should be a max contract. If a player is deemed worthy of $70m a year and they want to fill every body else out with league mins then so be it. You can kiss rings goodbye but I bet the seats would be sold watching a Kobe, Melo, or LBJ score 50 each night and go 20-62 on the season.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Managing a winning team post CBA agreement is a challenge I think Houston is doing well