• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

West Virginia scoring guard Eron Harris transferring

wvu_man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After a breakout sophomore season, West Virginia guard Eron Harris has decided to transfer.
“I have enjoyed my time at West Virginia University the past two years, but I want to transfer closer to home,” Harris said in a statement. “I want to be closer to my family, especially being around my little brother.”
Harris, a 6-foot-3 guard from Indianapolis, averaged 17.2 points and 3.5 rebounds this past season for the Mountaineers. He shot 42.2 percent from 3-point range. Harris put up at least 20 points in 11 games, but was slightly inconsistent down the stretch.
“We have enjoyed Eron and his contributions to Mountaineer basketball,” head coach Bob Huggins said. “Of all people, I certainly know what it is like to be closer to family and friends, that's why I did it as a student-athlete then as a coach.”
Expect Harris to be a sought-after transfer, given his scoring ability.

This REALLY sucks guys :noidea:

wvu_man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SMH...This is horrible news. I wonder what the ACTUAL reason is? I was really excited about next year with Holton and Macon coming in. I have mixed feelings about Huggy. I think that he's a great coach but is it possible that his best days could be behind him? A lot of kids these days doesn't have thick skin like they used to and don't take the screaming, yelling, and cursing as motivation like they did back in the day. Let's hope that Staten hangs around or we could be in for another LONG season.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow....tough last couple of weeks.

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ouch... This certainly bears watching. If there's another mass exodus Huggs is in trouble.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SMH...This is horrible news. I wonder what the ACTUAL reason is? I was really excited about next year with Holton and Macon coming in. I have mixed feelings about Huggy. I think that he's a great coach but is it possible that his best days could be behind him? A lot of kids these days doesn't have thick skin like they used to and don't take the screaming, yelling, and cursing as motivation like they did back in the day. Let's hope that Staten hangs around or we could be in for another LONG season.

I happened to be taking the same flight as the Robert Morris basketball team when they went to NY to play (and beat) St. Johns. I was able to talk, briefly, with the HC about how he coaches his team and he said that you need to now what motivates not just your team, but each individual player. A one size fits all approach no longer works with kids today. Andrew Toole will be on somebody's radar soon as he has turned out a good product at RMU.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, I wont miss his "defensive skills" but the kid could shoot it...when unguarded....:tsk:

Im still giving Huggs until the end of next season before I go ballistic but boys, If we get another year of losing to horrible VT types, conference tourney and NIT one and done beat downs and players not qualifying and pouting..and quiting on the team mid game?

I'm callin' for his head, enough is enough.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely the worst possible news. Not sure where this program is going but my expectations for next year has just swooned.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I have questioned the leadership of Huggins since our days together at CBS. Some called me out on it. I questioned his leadership on this site. Some called me out on it.

There are many problems with the WVU basketball program. But, Harris ain't the first player to transfer and cite family issues.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guiess the thing I am finding hard to understand is with the returners and the addition of Holton and Macon we would have been a top 25 team going into next year...how can you not get a kid to stay for that? He put two years into the program and it looked like next year it would finaly pay off and he bails? :noidea:

DBAR4WVU

Blue & Gold until I die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DCWV4life: " how can you not get a kid to stay for that? He put two years into the program and it looked like next year it would finaly pay off and he bails?"

My thoughts exactly when I first heard this disappointing news. Most kids would like to be closer to home, but they go where they feel they can learn, play, win and feel a part of something bigger. It may be time to admit that there is something not right internally in this program/team. I'm not saying it's the coach, but something isn't right and hasn't been for some time. As stated earlier - if we see another mass exodus of players (even 2 or 3 key guys) over the next few months, Huggy could be done.

It is a truly sad turn of events.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is amazing to me that this does not get more press in the local papers of what is going on with Basketball program...what a friggin double standard there is in that state....Dana WINS the Orange Bowl just two years ago..Sets records likely never to be broken any time soon..and the masses want him out...Huggins hasn't done shizza in the last 5 years except repeatedly run kids out of the program and because he's "one of us" he gets a life time pass...ridiculous..

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DCWV4life: " how can you not get a kid to stay for that? He put two years into the program and it looked like next year it would finaly pay off and he bails?"

My thoughts exactly when I first heard this disappointing news. Most kids would like to be closer to home, but they go where they feel they can learn, play, win and feel a part of something bigger. It may be time to admit that there is something not right internally in this program/team. I'm not saying it's the coach, but something isn't right and hasn't been for some time. As stated earlier - if we see another mass exodus of players (even 2 or 3 key guys) over the next few months, Huggy could be done.

It is a truly sad turn of events.

I think that it is about time that Huggins admits that this game has passed him by and he can no longer relate to and motivate his players. We could be a top 25 team with just the guys who have transferred out in the past 3 years. Something is very wrong and Huggs does not deserve to be the highest paid employee of the State of West Virginia anymore. I was ready to say OK one more year, but if lose our best players every year, we will never do well. I watched 1.5 games this year and it was all that I could take.

Is Ben Howland still looking for a job?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A side note to next season's outlook...

Jonathan Martin@JonathanKMartin [ame="[MEDIA=twitter]448454810971275265[/MEDIA]"]59m[/ame]
Hmm... @AdamZagoria: Along w/ LaQuinton Ross, hearing Montrezl Harrell, Rodney Hood and Juwan Staten will all declare for the Draft.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jonathan Martin@JonathanKMartin 59m
Hmm... @AdamZagoria: Along w/ LaQuinton Ross, hearing Montrezl Harrell, Rodney Hood and Juwan Staten will all declare for the Draft.

Looks like it is back to the drawing board.

At least we have the Rifle team.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jonathan Martin@JonathanKMartin59m

This is the worst possible thing that could happen for a couple of reasons...one he is not ready for the NBA second we are losing our top two scorers for reasons other than graduation.

bad day indeed.

DBAR4WVU

Blue & Gold until I die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does this constitue another season of mass defections? When guys who aren't ready for the NBA delare early and others leave to be "closer to home" rather than stay and fight to win ...... something is rotten in Morgantown. This team is unraveling and there seems to be no end in sight.
Does the administration wait for coaching staff to start leaving to step in? Or is it all up to Huggy to fix it or resign?

Wonder how Marshall will do next season?? :noidea:

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone think it is possible that Erin Harris decided to leave because he knew Staton was declaring for the NBA? Rumor has it that Staton is going to declare which I see as a colossal mistake. He is not ready for the NBA. Needs 1 more year of refinement in the area of 1) 3 point shooting and 2) free throw shooting. Now, is the program dead? No, but it is a setback for sure. I don't think you can start pointing fingers at coaches in this case unless you had more evidence to back it up. Losing these 2 players may have legitimate reasons beyond what we all may think.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree on Staten, he needs to develop that 3 point shot and imo his passing a lil more as well for another year IMO to become a bona fide NBA ready prospect and pretty exciting to think of what kind of college player he will be if he can improve as much next year as he did this year from last.
That would lessen the Harris blow quite a bit, his points will be missed but then we may have scoring coming from Macon and Holton and co. if they get eligible. His "defense" will not be missed nor will his pouting when things went bad.
It would be nice to see Huggs and co. pull a rabbit out of a hat late now with a good transfer pick up or prep player of our own.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
btw somebody correct me if Im wrong but Staton can declare all he wants as long as he doesn't sign with an agent and return right? Didn't Jones do that a few years ago?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
btw somebody correct me if Im wrong but Staton can declare all he wants as long as he doesn't sign with an agent and return right? Didn't Jones do that a few years ago?

You are correct. I think he has until April 15th to change his mind. KJ did exactly the same thing.