• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

well this season is done

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we need to give guys a shot . start wada , britton , clevenger , valencia and schoop . been nice brob , feldman , wilson , alexi , hammel just don't let the door hit you in the ass !!!!

Youngfan9886

Board Nightmare
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not over till its over. We still have 4 against TB which will answer the question for us. After that series we will have 6 games to evaluate players.

Wada - Why evaluate him? We aren't going to resign him....it would be a waste of time to evaluate him now.

Britton - I guess throw him a start. Maybe against Boston.

Clevenger - Yes. He can't be any worse than Wieters right now. Let Wieters sit once we are out of it....it will make his arbitration cost cheaper if he doesn't have more games to hit some meaningless hrs.

Valencia - Hell yes. Start him against lefties and righties. He's going to be 29....time to see what we have. Maybe he could play LF or be our DH.

Schoop - Yes. Start him at 2nd base. Give him some at bats.

I'm not so quick to get rid of Feldman. He's actually been our best pitcher recently....even better than Tillman. I would look to see if we can resign him because you need veteran pitchers too. Our starting pitching actually hasn't been bad once Hammel left the rotation. If you remove his numbers, and guys like Freddy Garcia, and Gausman/Britton/Arrieta.....the quintet of Feldman, Tillman, Gonzalez, Chen, and Norris have pitched to about a 3.88 era which would rank 12th in MLB (2013 MLB Team Pitching Stats - Major League Baseball - ESPN) and 4th in the AL (2013 MLB Team Pitching Stats - Major League Baseball - ESPN).

Basically, if we would have had better pitching when we were mashing in the beginning of the year, we could have built up a big lead and may not be in the situation we are now. Maybe a little bit better relief pitching and we are right there contending for the division next year. Of course, you aren't going to get 50 hrs from Davis again, and Manny may take a step backwards but the potential is there.

NJBuckO's

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they had Norris/Feldman the whole year and JJ was only half as bad as he's been they'd be comfortably in a WC spot now. I'd definately re-sign Feldman. I wouldn't start Britton until they're mathematically eliminated. I wouldn't mind seeing Schoop starting this week, maybe he catches the other teams off guard and hits.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think the wildcards will be rays and indians . we have 2 weeks left and 13 games . we have never had a long winning streak and we want start now . we have 6 red sox 4 rays that is 10 while the indians play w/s stros and twins . hard to go past 2 teams this late in the season . sure if we go and win all 13 we will be in .

pools

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FAR from over we are 2.5 games out of EITHER wildcard now. With the Rangers having lost 6 in a row Tampa and the Rangers have the same record.

3 loss difference we need them to lose 3 more than we do over the final games.

6 team race for the final 2 wildcards Royals are just 3.5 back

pools

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we need to give guys a shot . start wada , britton , clevenger , valencia and schoop . been nice brob , feldman , wilson , alexi , hammel just don't let the door hit you in the ass !!!!

Might be a little hard on Feldman.... he has 6 "quality starts" ( 6 innings with 3 or less ERs) in his last 10. Two of the 4 that were not "QS" were 5 innings 1 ER allowed 4 hits and 3 hits in those 2.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might be a little hard on Feldman.... he has 6 "quality starts" ( 6 innings with 3 or less ERs) in his last 10. Two of the 4 that were not "QS" were 5 innings 1 ER allowed 4 hits and 3 hits in those 2.
feldman isn't worth 6 million dollars . morse has layed an egg for us

pools

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is going his job now.... August 3.14 era and 1.62 in Sept so far.

6 million doesn't effect you or me we aren't paying for it so don't concern yourself with what he makes it has no effect on this team this year...

Morse trade was dumb

Youngfan9886

Board Nightmare
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a good day today.....Twins came back with 4 runs in the 8th to beat TB, Tex lost again, KC lost and NY is still playing a hot Boston. But yeah I see Cleveland getting in.....that division is super weak. I honestly think the AL East teams are going to beat each other up and not make it. Texas and Cleveland, and its a shame for it to be decided because a division is weak.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a good day today.....Twins came back with 4 runs in the 8th to beat TB, Tex lost again, KC lost and NY is still playing a hot Boston. But yeah I see Cleveland getting in.....that division is super weak. I honestly think the AL East teams are going to beat each other up and not make it. Texas and Cleveland, and its a shame for it to be decided because a division is weak.
i think texas is done they have four games vs rays. also have the angels who are playing pretty good . if indians hold their lead vs w/s they will only be back .5 games

Youngfan9886

Board Nightmare
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
feldman isn't worth 6 million dollars . morse has layed an egg for us

You're right. He's probably worth 8M after this good season. And Nolan isn't worth 1M. Maybe we can non-tender him and a couple other worthless players to help pay for Feldman and the 8M contract it will take. Unless you see a better free agent pitcher to sign.....Last thing I want to do is stand pat and throw a young pitcher into the rotation when he hasn't earned it. (ie. Arrieta/Britton etc.)

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right. He's probably worth 8M after this good season. And Nolan isn't worth 1M. Maybe we can non-tender him and a couple other worthless players to help pay for Feldman and the 8M contract it will take. Unless you see a better free agent pitcher to sign.....Last thing I want to do is stand pat and throw a young pitcher into the rotation when he hasn't earned it. (ie. Arrieta/Britton etc.)
yes i think we need to trade gausman , hobgood , drake , ed rod , britton ,berry , wright and the bundy's . just keep running out bp arms as starters like gonzo , chen , hammel and all the other throw away guys . be a shame to raise our arms like the rays and the a's do. but if you are stupid enough to think the o's will ever go much over a 100 million team under sir peter don't blame me .

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
indians only 3 outs away from being only a .5 back 7-1 lead . i think they will have the home game in the wildcard race .

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Here are my thoughts:

Wada: I would probably cut our losses by declining the 2014 option. The "NPB signing" experiment was partly successful in the sense that Chen has been serviceable-- but we don't have to keep Wada as well if he isn't quite as good.

Britton: The jury is still out regarding whether he's going to turn into another Arrieta or another Tillman. I might let him start a game for Gonzalez (due to the injury), Chen (due to his second-half struggles), or Hammel.

Clevenger: Call me crazy, but I might just start him for the rest of September. In fact, if Wieters' regression in defensive ability is real rather than just one bad year, I might not offer arbitration (and just let the Yankees take him as Buck has said).

Valencia: He's hitting hot right now and probably should be the starting DH until further notice.

Schoop: No argument here. Start him at 2B since there's nothing to lose.

Feldman: This might be the classic case of "one good year"-- apparently, FanGraphs thinks that his 3.54 ERA / 1.13 WHIP in 2013 is worth $11.6M (!) Feldman's career stats are 4.57 ERA / 1.36 WHIP, though, which means that he would almost certainly regress in 2014 just like Hammel did this year. I can live with re-signing him, but only if (a) this can be done cheaply, and (b) he's considered a candidate for the #5 spot and nothing higher than that.

Roberts, Betemit, Casilla, and Hammel: I think most people would agree that letting them go is the correct choice.

Last edited by a moderator:

NJBuckO's

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Britton has shown nothing but AAA flashes which don't translate to the Majors, much like Arrieta but younger. When's the last time he won a ML game, last year?He's still young enough that rebuilding team could get him cheaply or in a package deal for something we need next July. I don't see him ever starting another game in Baltimore. Ed Rod excites me alot more, I hope he turns out well. The others who knows, maybe one or two become solid BP arms. Berry and Wright sound promising, Hobgood is still a rehab case. KG and Bundy obviously aren't going anywhere. I'd go with Tillman, Norris, Feldman(?) Chen and Gausman to start the year with MG as the extra. I doubt Bundy starts any games next year.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are my thoughts:

Wada: I would probably cut our losses by declining the 2014 option. The "NPB signing" experiment was partly successful in the sense that Chen has been serviceable-- but we don't have to keep Wada as well if he isn't quite as good.

Britton: The jury is still out regarding whether he's going to turn into another Arrieta or another Tillman. I might let him start a game for Gonzalez (due to the injury), Chen (due to his second-half struggles), or Hammel.

Clevenger: Call me crazy, but I might just start him for the rest of September. In fact, if Wieters' regression in defensive ability is real rather than just one bad year, I might not offer arbitration (and just let the Yankees take him as Buck has said).

Valencia: He's hitting hot right now and probably should be the starting DH until further notice.

Schoop: No argument here. Start him at 2B since there's nothing to lose.

Feldman: This might be the classic case of "one good year"-- apparently, FanGraphs thinks that his 3.54 ERA / 1.13 WHIP in 2013 is worth $11.6M (!) Feldman's career stats are 4.57 ERA / 1.36 WHIP, though, which means that he would almost certainly regress in 2014 just like Hammel did this year. I can live with re-signing him, but only if (a) this can be done cheaply, and (b) he's considered a candidate for the #5 spot and nothing higher than that.

Roberts, Betemit, Casilla, and Hammel: I think most people would agree that letting them go is the correct choice.
i think either patton or matusz will be gone if anyone wants them . patton seems he wasn't able to pitch alot of nights . they are going to start to get good raises and matusz has options

NJBuckO's

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My mistake Britton won a few times this year but I have my doubts about him being consistent long term.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My mistake Britton won a few times this year but I have my doubts about him being consistent long term.
i felt the exact same thing on tillman . one thing about it until we get better called games no pitcher will ever be good enough . atleast he is a tiger killer :laugh3::laugh3::laugh3:

NJBuckO's

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i felt the exact same thing on tillman . one thing about it until we get better called games no pitcher will ever be good enough . atleast he is a tiger killer :laugh3::laugh3::laugh3:

Haha yeah true, if they miraculously make the ALCS he can start a few times.

Youngfan9886

Board Nightmare
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes i think we need to trade gausman , hobgood , drake , ed rod , britton ,berry , wright and the bundy's . just keep running out bp arms as starters like gonzo , chen , hammel and all the other throw away guys . be a shame to raise our arms like the rays and the a's do. but if you are stupid enough to think the o's will ever go much over a 100 million team under sir peter don't blame me .

You're overreacting Ted. Gausman will get his chance, Britton has gotten a couple chances already, and the rest will force their way up if they keep pitching the way they are. But a prospect is just that.....a prospect. You can knock Gonzo all you want, but he is proving to be a serviceable starter in the major leagues. Something that Britton, Arrieta, Matusz etc. haven't proven. You don't remove good starters when they are pitching well, you remove them when they struggle. If Gonzo, Norris, Feldman (if resigned) struggle next year.....then a spot opens up for Gausman and company to prove they have what it takes.