• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 5: Virginia Tech @ Cincinnati (in Landover, MD) (Sept. 29, 2012)

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

robV703

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, we put Exum (and other DBs) on an island with no kind of help vs Cinnci because we were rushing 5-6 nearly every play. Its pretty hard to cover that way. Especially on the plays we didn't get home.

Are you suggesting we should try something different, like rolling our coverage? I liked our defensive philosophy. Unfortunately Munchie kept his head in the game. I was very impressed with him.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Also, we put Exum (and other DBs) on an island with no kind of help vs Cinnci because we were rushing 5-6 nearly every play. Its pretty hard to cover that way.

Been doing it all year. We have played way too much 1 on 1 with our DB's and they have been exposed. The problem is that our LB's cant cover good enough to give them help and the DL is getting no pressure in the backfield. If our LB's could cover and the DL could pressure we could give some safety help overtop. A mentally and physically 100% Edwards would be a huge help to our D.

HokieChamp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Slight change of subject:

Is anyone here close to any major boosters and know how they feel about everything? Don't want names or anything, just curious what they might be saying about our coaching situation and if they're possibly putting pressure on Weaver and Beamer to make changes.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

Is anyone here close to any major boosters and know how they feel about everything? Don't want names or anything, just curious what they might be saying about our coaching situation and if they're possibly putting pressure on Weaver and Beamer to make changes.

Define major. I dont personally know anyone that is donating 6 figures annually or anything but i know a bunch of HC members, several golden hokie and above. Im sure there have been tons of calls and emails sent but you have to remember that for every one person that sees the problems there is another (especially in the older crowd) who has blind faith because of where the program was 20+ years ago. If this year continues to slide (and i pray it doesnt :pray:) i think you will see some pressure put on Weaver/Beamer but i dont think it will be on the level that some are calling for. Now if no changes are made and we have 2 bad years.... who knows but a large percent of season ticket holders have only been around for winning seasons so im not sure how our fanbase reacts to that.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

Same as the rest of us: dissapointed. I've never heard of any real movement or pressure in the last decade or so, this year being no different. The AD and team admin judges their reactions and makes changes to keep the money coming in. Like the upgrades to club seating, player access, etc. It's not like donors kick open Weaver's office door with a case full of money and demand firings. Unless other people know different boosters than my peeps know...

Last edited by a moderator:

robV703

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mostly Foster quotes:
HokieHaven.com - Foster Livid On Execution, Performance

Doesn't sound like we'll be seeing Exum move, or much of Edwards in the near future.

If Bruce keeps playing well at backer (he had been having trouble before having a great game vs Cincinati) then we have the luxury of waiting until Tariq is 100% recovered. I still think we are better off with Tariq than Tyler although he's been playing his ass off.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, we put Exum (and other DBs) on an island with no kind of help vs Cinnci because we were rushing 5-6 nearly every play. Its pretty hard to cover that way. Especially on the plays we didn't get home.

most discouraging part of the team IMO.. the defensive line was supposed to be able to generate a ton of pressure without having to blitz.. they either aren't playing well or they were just really overrated

or are you guys saying that since our LBs are weaker in coverage, we're blitzing them since they'll be useless in coverage anyway? if that's the case, we aren't getting NEARLY enough pressure

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
most discouraging part of the team IMO.. the defensive line was supposed to be able to generate a ton of pressure without having to blitz.. they either aren't playing well or they were just really overrated

or are you guys saying that since our LBs are weaker in coverage, we're blitzing them since they'll be useless in coverage anyway? if that's the case, we aren't getting NEARLY enough pressure

Tyler is not very good in coverage and Taylor is good, but not as good as the Backer should be. He's just too big to be an effective backer on a consistent basis. It places a great deal of pressure on the whip and secondary, both of which are pretty young.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I keep seeing comments on how the hold on Beiro was a bad call. It sure looked like he was pulling on the guy's jersey when he got outside position. I thought you couldn't pull on a jersey

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW, It looks to me like every VT game I have watch there are multiple "missed" calls on what I consider a hold against the opposing team. Wit that being said, I think different officials let different things go?? Not making any excuses for the way the team has played. But I think there have been several "non-calls" against PItt and Cinci that IMO, should have been holding.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I keep seeing comments on how the hold on Beiro was a bad call. It sure looked like he was pulling on the guy's jersey when he got outside position. I thought you couldn't pull on a jersey

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can grab on the jersey as long as your hands are on the inside of the defensive players body. Beiro had his hand inside and made a textbook block IMO. Terrible call.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
FWIW, It looks to me like every VT game I have watch there are multiple "missed" calls on what I consider a hold against the opposing team. Wit that being said, I think different officials let different things go?? Not making any excuses for the way the team has played. But I think there have been several "non-calls" against PItt and Cinci that IMO, should have been holding.

It goes both ways. We've had calls that helped us win, especially against UNC and GT. Bad calls are going to happen, it's human nature. But great teams find a way to overcome those bad penalties. 1-2 plays may highlight a game, but the game is really not going to come down to 1-2 plays when there's 60-80 others on the field.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
It goes both ways. We've had calls that helped us win, especially against UNC and GT. Bad calls are going to happen, it's human nature. But great teams find a way to overcome those bad penalties. 1-2 plays may highlight a game, but the game is really not going to come down to 1-2 plays when there's 60-80 others on the field.

I definitely agree. Bad calls happen all the time, and teams must accept and adapt. When it's our team's turn, we can only hope that there is time on the clock to play the hand they're dealt. If there's time, it's on our guys to play through.