• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 2 Conference Power Rankings

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I'll preface by saying this doesn't need to be a "rub the SEC's nose in it" turd flinging fest, but please by all means make it that if you see fit.

Post your top 5 and give one or two reasons why for each one.

Mine are based on the coaches poll only because I'm too impatient to wait for the AP. (Maybe it came out as I'm doing this write up. Plus I don't know if there will be a massive discrepancy between the two and even if there is, it's early in the year so don't get your panties in a bunch.

*Updated slightly for AP poll, could be discrepancies, don't have time to edit all of this.

Mine:

1a. SEC - Let's be real. One week does not make a season. Unless they really cannibalize each other into oblivion, they're guaranteed to have a spot in the playoff this year. Deserved or not, they still have 7 teams in the top 25 including the team to beat in all of college football.

1b. B1G - Five teams safely in the top 25 (Wiscy 16) including 4 in the top 10 and 2 in the top 5, and one knocking on the door of the top 25 (cough cough). Focus on the Wisconsin win if you like, but as a whole the conferences top half took care of business easily week 1 and barring a let down game for Ohio State vs Oklahoma, there aren't really any tough non con matchups left I can think of for the B1G schools currently in the top 25 unless you count MSU vs Notre Dame. A B1G team could feasibly lose 2 games and still make the playoff.

3. ACC - This ones tough because they are just so top heavy. Clemson should cruise through their schedule, and FSU looks fully reloaded. A 1 loss Clemson or FSU definitely makes the playoff and I definitely see one of those two doing that. The playoff implication and two top 5 teams is literally the only thing keeping this conference from being at the bottom of the totem pole. If FSU or Clemson drop a game, this conference drops a notch.

Oh boy, it gets a little ugly from here, and It's really Oklahoma's fault.

4. PAC 12 -
PAC 12 - Record vs; SEC: 0-2
Record vs. Big Ten: 1-1
Record vs. Power 5: 2-3
Record vs FBS: 4-4
Record vs. FCS: 3-1

Nuff said really. PAC 12 might need an undefeated team, or 1 loss at the minimum to make the Playoff. Stanford looks like the only team capable of doing that at the moment.

5. Big 12 - It's Oklahoma and everybody else. The biggest jump is always from week 1 to 2, and i still believe OU could be a real good ball club... You can point to them having more teams in the top 25 than the Pac 12 and and ACC combined, but that's kind of the point. Does anyone really believe OU goes undefeated from here on out after Saturday? And beyond that, does anyone really believe Texas will only drop 1 more game with a true Freshman quarterback? TCU and This conference could really cannibalize itself. Who knows, maybe something crazy happens and TCU runs the table. Their only non con "test" left is to slap around an Arkansas team who just escaped disaster with a 1 point win over Louisiana Tech at home, but this just further illustrates the dire straits the Big 12 is in at this point.

Last edited:

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. SEC - Still had a good showing in week 1.
2. B1G - Here based off of Wisconsin beating LSU. Really haven't been tested yet
3. ACC - Big win for FSU, had UNC beaten UGA I would have probably put them #2
4. Big 12 - KSU losing to Stanford in a game in which they trailed by only a td in the 4th should be seen as a positive. Texas over ND keeps them from the bottom spot.
4. Pac 12 - Really missed on all of their opportunities. USC/UCLA both lose, Oregon State loses to Minnesota and Arizona loses to BYU. Also Wazzu, considered a top half of the conference team lost to an FCS team.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I'll preface by saying this doesn't need to be a "rub the SEC's nose in it" turd flinging fest, but please by all means make it that if you see fit.

Post your top 5 and give one or two reasons why for each one.

Mine are based on the coaches poll only because I'm too impatient to wait for the AP. (Maybe it came out as I'm doing this write up. Plus I don't know if there will be a massive discrepancy between the two and even if there is, it's early in the year so don't get your panties in a bunch.

*Updated slightly for AP poll, could be discrepancies, don't have time to edit all of this.

Mine:

1a. SEC - Let's be real. One week does not make a season. Unless they really cannibalize each other into oblivion, they're guaranteed to have a spot in the playoff this year. Deserved or not, they still have 7 teams in the top 25 including the team to beat in all of college football.

1b. B1G - Five teams safely in the top 25 (Wiscy 16) including 4 in the top 10 and 2 in the top 5, and one knocking on the door of the top 25 (cough cough). Focus on the Wisconsin win if you like, but as a whole the conferences top half took care of business easily week 1 and barring a let down game for Ohio State vs Oklahoma, there aren't really any tough non con matchupseft I can think of for the B1 lG schools currently in the top 25 unless you count MSU vs Notre Dame. A B1G team could feasibly lose 2 games and still make the playoff.

3. ACC - This ones tough because they are just so top heavy. Clemson should cruise through their schedule, and FSU looks fully reloaded. A 1 loss Clemson or FSU definitely makes the playoff and I definitely see one of those two doing that. The playoff implication and two top 5 teams is literally the only thing keeping this conference from being at the bottom of the totem pole. If FSU or Clemson drop a game, this conference drops a notch.

Oh boy, it gets a little ugly from here, and It's really Oklahoma's fault.

4. PAC 12 -
PAC 12 - Record vs; SEC: 0-2
Record vs. Big Ten: 1-1
Record vs. Power 5: 2-3
Record vs FBS: 4-4
Record vs. FCS: 3-1

Nuff said really. PAC 12 might need an undefeated team, or 1 loss at the minimum to make the Playoff. Stanford looks like the only team capable of doing that at the moment.

5. Big 12 - It's Oklahoma and everybody else. The biggest jump is always from week 1 to 2, and i still believe OU could be a real good ball club... You can point to them having more teams in the top 25 than the Pac 12 and and ACC combined, but that's kind of the point. Does anyone really believe OU goes undefeated from here on out after Saturday? And beyond that, does anyone really believe Texas will only drop 1 more game with a true Freshman quarterback? TCU and This conference could really cannibalize itself. Who knows, maybe something crazy happens and TCU runs the table. Their only non con "test" left is to slap around an Arkansas team who just escaped disaster with a 1 point win over Louisiana Tech at home, but this just further illustrates the dire straits the Big 12 is in at this point.

Why does it matter if a team runs the table vs its own conference, if you are rating conferences against each other? Not sure how Bama running the table in the West makes the SEC a stronger conference. I would actually say the opposite makes sense. The most telling games are the out of conference games when making the comparison, unfortunately there are so little of them.

After week 1 its hard to put anyone ahead of the Big 10. SEC was 6-6 in games this weekend, not including SoCar v Vandy. There is no way to put them at 1a.. It may work out that way, but that is wild speculation.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does it matter if a team runs the table vs its own conference, if you are rating conferences against each other? Not sure how Bama running the table in the West makes the SEC a stronger conference. I would actually say the opposite makes sense. The most telling games are the out of conference games when making the comparison, unfortunately there are so little of them.

After week 1 its hard to put anyone ahead of the Big 10. SEC was 6-6 in games this weekend, not including SoCar v Vandy. There is no way to put them at 1a.. It may work out that way, but that is wild speculation.

I'm trying to EASE the SEC posters here into their new reality, not dump a bucket of cold water over their heads.

You don't EVER wake up a person who's sleepwalking.

giphy.gif

qu2h2S.gif

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd just like to see them play better competition. The LSU win was great, obviously, for the B1G. Iowa and Michigan playing dreadful non conf schedules is unfortunate because we won't be able to see what they can do OOC. We'll get that a little bit in week 2 with PSU/Pitt, UNC/Illinois and Cincy/Purdue. And the following week will tell us even more with MSU/ND, OU/OSU, Duke/NW, Oregon/Neb and even under the radar games New Mexico/Rutgers and WMU/Illinois. Also Indiana plays Wake Forest week 4.

I will say this is the first time in a long time the B1G didn't suffer any "bad" losses. I don't think losing to what could be the best team in the MAC from a middling B1G team is "bad" IMO.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
your little 1990s program is going to look so foolish on your own account when the Oregon Ducks destroy them. You have subtly made jabs at the Ducks not being good.

Just

wait.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2. B1G - Here based off of Wisconsin beating LSU. Really haven't been tested yet
4. Big 12 - KSU losing to Stanford in a game in which they trailed by only a td in the 4th should be seen as a positive. Texas over ND keeps them from the bottom spot.
4. Pac 12 - Really missed on all of their opportunities. USC/UCLA both lose, Oregon State loses to Minnesota and Arizona loses to BYU. Also Wazzu, considered a top half of the conference team lost to an FCS team.

Dafuq were you watching tho...

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn.

Brasky, that was a fantastic post that I didn't see coming from you. No offense, but I'm very impressed. I could change some things, but 100% see where you are coming from.

Well done.:clap:

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah the Big 12 and ACC were a toss up, but I just based it on which one was more likely to keep Houston out of the playoff.

Understood..

I will be more interested in the conference rankings after week 3 which is when majority of the OOC games are completed.

Honestly, I hope Houston makes it just to shake things up a little. Too bad they didn't schedule one more power conference team to cement their positioning in the rankings.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
your little 1990s program is going to look so foolish on your own account when the Oregon Ducks destroy them. You have subtly made jabs at the Ducks not being good.

Just

wait.

latest

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big10 looks better thus far, but teams will improve as the year goes on and it wouldn't be a big surprise to see the SEC move back up. But right now, I think the Big10 looks better than the SEC.

ACC is top heavy and the Pac12 and Big12 seemingly will slap fight for the last spot in the playoffs.

Tune in next week for a completely different outlook.

xpuctaqpGT

Modern Major General
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sagarin ratings: (With conferences with multiple divisions I averaged the two division scores)

#1. SEC 80.51

#2. Big 12 79.36

#3. PAC 77.69

#4 ACC 77.32

#5. B1G 76.31

This means a "generic" Big 12 team would be a favorite over a "generic" ACC team by 79.36 - 77.32 = 2.04 points.

There's not a lot of separation between the #1 and #5 conferences. (Only 4.2 points).
As a comparison the AAC has a rating of 67.00. Even an "generic" ACC team would be a 10.32 point favorite over them.

This is only week 1. And Sagarin doesn't start to get accurate until about 5 weeks in when more teams have played each other.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who knows, maybe something crazy happens and TCU runs the table. Their only non con "test" left is to slap around an Arkansas team who just escaped disaster with a 1 point win over Louisiana Tech at home, but this just further illustrates the dire straits the Big 12 is in at this point.

Well so much for that theory. Why you do dis Big 12?

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No trying to nit-pick your post, but the SEC is a 1 horse race. I hear a lot of people saying UM is untested and may not amount to much.. I don't agree. I've watched them and they are fast and athletic. That gives the BIG 4 or 5 teams that are right up there above LSU, who is probably still 2nd best. Bama aside, I don't see the SEC matching up well with the BIG.