• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

We should have known the real reason the Patriot employee was called the deflator

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to the Patriots lawyers it was because McNally was losing weight not because he was letting air out of game balls. This clears it all up Brady is innocent. I am sorry for thinking otherwise.

The Patriots have an absurd explanation for why an employee called himself 'the deflator'

The Patriots have an absurd explanation for why an employee called himself 'the deflator' - Yahoo Finance

Lawyers for the New England Patriots have issued a long rebuttal letter defending the team against the Wells report.

In the letter, the lawyers defend locker room attendant Jim McNally and equipment assistant John Jastremski, who sent series of damning texts seemingly discussing their plan to deflate the footballs.

In one text from May 2014, McNally calls himself "the deflator."

According to Patriots lawyers, McNally and Jastremski weren't talking about footballs. In the letter, the lawyers claim that "deflator" referred to McNally losing weight.

The letter calls Jastremski a "slender guy" whose goal was to lift and gain weight. Meanwhile, McNally is called a "big fellow" whose goal was to lose weight. The explanation from the letter:

"They never asked Mr. Jastremski about it in his interview. Had they done so, they would have learned from either gentleman one of the ways they used the deflation/deflator term. Mr. Jastremski would sometimes work out and bulk up — he is a slender guy and his goal was to get to 200 pounds. Mr. McNally is a big fellow and had the opposite goal: to lose weight. “Deflate” was a term they used to refer to losing weight. One can specifically see this use of the term in a Nov. 30, 2014 text from Mr. McNally to Mr. Jastremski: “deflate and give somebody that jacket.” (p. 87). This banter, and Mr. McNally’s goal of losing weight, meant Mr. McNally was the “deflator.” There was nothing complicated or sinister about it."

The letter also provided texts from McNally and Jastremski discussing losing weight:

12:21:46: JM “Whats up dorito dink”
12:22:53: JJ “Nada”
12:22:53: JM “Whens the pong party….im on fire”
12:23:10: JJ “Omg”
12:23:34: JM “Bring it”
16:29:48: JM “You still with your women”
16:29:59: JJ “Yup”
16:33:21: JM “You must have her [omitted out of respect to Mrs. Jastremski]”
16:34:39: JM “You must have a picture of her [omitted out of respect to Mrs. Jastremski]”
16:36:31: JJ “Omg”
16:37:16: JM “You working”
16:37:53 JJ “Yup”
16:39:40 JM “Nice dude…jimmy needs some kicks….lets
make a deal…come on help the deflator”

The letter also claims that one text from McNally, "Chill buddy im just f****n with you…. im not going to espn …. yet," actually referred to McNally joking that he wouldn't get Jastremski in trouble for giving him new sneakers, not the deflated football scandal. Here's the full explanation from the letter:

"The 'espn' reference in this string of jocular texts was part of their banter and related to the 'new kicks.' Mr. Jastremski had made it clear to Mr. McNally over time that his (Jastremski’s) boss would not be happy with him were he to give away sneakers to Mr. McNally. That fact is quite explicit in a number of their texts. (p. 82 — after texting about possibly getting Mr. McNally sneakers and apparel, Mr. Jastremski writes: 'unless Dave [his boss, Dave Schoenfeld] leaves the room tomorrow then it’ll wait till next week'). Getting sneakers or apparel for his friend Mr. McNally, in short, meant Mr. Jastremski would have to do so behind his boss’s back. They teased each other about whether Mr. Jastremski would get in trouble for giving him sneakers. The May 2014 McNally text reference to 'not going to espn' follows his request for 'new kicks,' and was Mr. McNally’s way of saying, in substance: 'Hey, don’t worry about whether giving me those sneakers will get you in trouble — I’ll never tell.'"

The lawyers claim that the NFL investigators had these texts, but never asked Jastremski or McNally about the meaning of them. Had they done so, the lawyers claim, context for "deflator" would have been provided.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do the Patriots really believe anyone outside of New England will buy this?

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
12:21:46: JM “Whats up dorito dink”

how fing old are these guys! Jesus christ

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The deflate comment I can buy because I have heard it used, kind of similar to when someone refers to going to the gym to get "their swell on". They are a teenageresque in style.

Some of the other stuff is a bit of a stretch.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes....they absolutely do. Brady and Belichick literally think they are god's gift to intelligence and everyone else is stupid. It's also very sad that Patriots' fans don't understand that they are not excluded from the stupid category with everyone else. They actually worship people who think they are stupid.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm sure Krafts propaganda butt buddies at the Boston Herald will be running with this on its front page today.

Macho Grande

Would Sacrifice You In An Emergency
The Magumba Bar in Drambuie, off the Barbary Coast
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,889.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Riiiiiiight. Because we guys always give ourselves corny nicknames when we start a diet. "Dude, stop calling me Jim. We've been over this man. When I'm trying to lose weight, call me the deflator."

Not sure what their legal team is thinking on this one. This is just going to add to the embarrassment.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's just for legal reasons-lawyers cover every base. Any way to muddy the waters with any level of doubt, tactic.

My main takeaway from this, omg! They sound like teenagers texting, omg. That phrase is used multiple of times, omg!