• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

We gots our safety

ONEPANTHERSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can be very good and showed he can start in the NFL. He brought an intensity to our secondary last year we hadn't seen in years. He's also hot headed and has a habit of getting fined and penalized at very bad times.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thanks for the input panthersfan!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can be very good and showed he can start in the NFL. He brought an intensity to our secondary last year we hadn't seen in years. He's also hot headed and has a habit of getting fined and penalized at very bad times.

Hot headed is something we need. He will bring a good amount of intensity that our secondary needs. As for the penalties, I think we have already dealt with our fair share from Clark so it's nothing we aren't used to.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read that he has good ball skills, a good blitzer from the secondary, but is prone to missing tackles.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read that he has good ball skills, a good blitzer from the secondary, but is prone to missing tackles.

The only thing that really worries me is the learning curve. Doesn't matter how talented you are if you don't understand Lebeau's scheme. Another thing to worry about is whether Mitchell can fill the "communicator" roll that Clark filled. He cannot fill those shoes if he doesn't fully understand Lebeau's scheme. It is going to take a lot of coaching up on Lake's part, as well as veterans like Polamalu & Taylor.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing that really worries me is the learning curve. Doesn't matter how talented you are if you don't understand Lebeau's scheme. Another thing to worry about is whether Mitchell can fill the "communicator" roll that Clark filled. He cannot fill those shoes if he doesn't fully understand Lebeau's scheme. It is going to take a lot of coaching up on Lake's part, as well as veterans like Polamalu & Taylor.

Seems like an argument to make the scheme less complicated. Also, so rookies can play immediately.

I don't think they would have signed him if they didn't think he could make the calls though.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like an argument to make the scheme less complicated. Also, so rookies can play immediately.

I don't think they would have signed him if they didn't think he could make the calls though.

ATL had been preaching (more or less) about the need to let Butler take over the defense for exactly that reason. The Lebeau-2-year-learning-curve hurts the team when Colbert fails to bring in viable talent to develop, and the transition from clearing out these older vets for younger guys has to be instantaneous. That's 1 of the reasons these older vets have been sticking around as insurance policies for longer than expected.

I don't doubt that he could make the calls, but I think it more goes to show the faith they have in the people surrounding him to speed up the learning process. Not to mention bringing back Will Allen helps a lot if he struggles.

Last edited by a moderator:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mitchell signed, Ike resigned to much less money, Allen resigned, Troy extended reducing his cap hit...still need to see a young CB drafted, but in just a few short days the DEF backfield has gone from the weak link to at worst the deepest part of the team.

I saw on another site that some fans were concerned about Shark's snaps...I think he'll be in a very similar role to LY and will be a bit faster even rather than taking over the starting role and still being somewhat handcuffed by thinking...Mitchell is only guaranteed $5 mil making the signing a lot more affordable than it appears on the surface.

I don't know what this has done to the draft board if anything, but I'm even more curious now to see what direction to go in early....Nix could very well be the guy @ 15.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mitchell signed, Ike resigned to much less money, Allen resigned, Troy extended reducing his cap hit...still need to see a young CB drafted, but in just a few short days the DEF backfield has gone from the weak link to at worst the deepest part of the team.

I saw on another site that some fans were concerned about Shark's snaps...I think he'll be in a very similar role to LY and will be a bit faster even rather than taking over the starting role and still being somewhat handcuffed by thinking...Mitchell is only guaranteed $5 mil making the signing a lot more affordable than it appears on the surface.

I don't know what this has done to the draft board if anything, but I'm even more curious now to see what direction to go in early....Nix could very well be the guy @ 15.

Sharky... I agree. He should still see the same amount of snaps, and I'm sure this offseason will do wonders for his confidence. I could see them pushing Shmarko into the starting roll fast if Poly gets injured again.

Mitchell... I'm glad Colbert/Kahn structured his deal that way. It gives them 2 years to decide if he's the real deal and if they cut him then it's only a $2.85mil cap hit & saves them $15mil in base salary. Smart move!

I'm leaning on either a CB or a WR/TE in the 1st. It just doesn't make sense to me to draft a NT that early when PIT doesn't use that position on the field very much. Basically the 1st pick will definitely indicate which direction they are wanting this defense to go (back to the old, or onto the pass happy D).

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sharky... I agree. He should still see the same amount of snaps, and I'm sure this offseason will do wonders for his confidence. I could see them pushing Shmarko into the starting roll fast if Poly gets injured again.

Mitchell... I'm glad Colbert/Kahn structured his deal that way. It gives them 2 years to decide if he's the real deal and if they cut him then it's only a $2.85mil cap hit & saves them $15mil in base salary. Smart move!

I'm leaning on either a CB or a WR/TE in the 1st. It just doesn't make sense to me to draft a NT that early when PIT doesn't use that position on the field very much. Basically the 1st pick will definitely indicate which direction they are wanting this defense to go (back to the old, or onto the pass happy D).

NT...yep, we've taken the same position here...I thought they might make a play for Soliai, but I didn't realize his value was so high...now with Woods getting this much interest it does make you think they could go that route. I'm still hopeful they pick Ebron if available since D. Johnson is gone to SD.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

get on the wagon

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok you guys are actually right, NT later lets get ebron or evans.....

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has to be an upgrade from Clark and watching all those bad angles he takes and whiffs he makes when going for a big hit instead of just wrapping the damn guy up and tackling.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The swing voter! :suds:

Well if Woods leaves town and Hood signs elsewhere, then the D-Line could really be in trouble. I think at that point they would have to move McLendon to the outside (if he can lose weight) and draft Nix. Regardless of what happens to Kiesel. The D-line would be a gaping hole on the defense.

It still wouldn't be surprised if they decide to let Hood & Woods walk and draft a DE in the 1st. Ealy or Hageman, anyone? Colbert could still have a trick or two left up his sleeve. We'll have to wait and see how the rest of the FA period plays out!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has to be an upgrade from Clark and watching all those bad angles he takes and whiffs he makes when going for a big hit instead of just wrapping the damn guy up and tackling.

Not to mention faster and better ball skills. Hopefully it pans out

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The swing voter! :suds:

Well if Woods leaves town and Hood signs elsewhere, then the D-Line could really be in trouble. I think at that point they would have to move McLendon to the outside (if he can lose weight) and draft Nix. Regardless of what happens to Kiesel. The D-line would be a gaping hole on the defense.

It still wouldn't be surprised if they decide to let Hood & Woods walk and draft a DE in the 1st. Ealy or Hageman, anyone? Colbert could still have a trick or two left up his sleeve. We'll have to wait and see how the rest of the FA period plays out!

Losing Woods does hurt because it only leaves McLendon & Fang as NTs...I'm not terribly concerned about the DEs with Arnfelt and Nick Williams in the fold. imo Keisel is finished, but these events could bring him back into the picture.

That shortfall might give them an urgency to take Nix @ 15, but my hopes are still for the Ark St. kid...Carrethers. Also with Woodley gone, Shaq Barrett is probably moving up in the mind of Colbert unless he can figure out a way to get Van Noy.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just as I was taking a step towards the wagon!...glad to see you see you this side of the fence...lol

I can't make any claims that I know a ton about Nix, but that Bama game just still rings fresh about them just running up the gut on ND...I really do see similar productivity from Carrethers though.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better hit on that NT if you wait. They desperately need one to run Lebeau's D. Doesn't matter who they have in back 7 if they don't have a Big man plugging that middle up and occupying 2 linemen.

I'd love to see them nab Evans if he's still there, but there are a TON of very good WR in this draft and its harder to find a good fit for the 3-4 NT. so I'd grab Nix if he checks out health wise

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better hit on that NT if you wait. They desperately need one to run Lebeau's D. Doesn't matter who they have in back 7 if they don't have a Big man plugging that middle up and occupying 2 linemen.

I'd love to see them nab Evans if he's still there, but there are a TON of very good WR in this draft and its harder to find a good fit for the 3-4 NT. so I'd grab Nix if he checks out health wise

Even moreso if you go NT early don't you think?...That's what really drives my reluctance on Nix...I am grading him almost soley on the NC game vs Bama which isn't fair, but that's a good indication he's not a dominant player.

I just think there are more impact players at that spot in the draft, and PIT needs more impact players.