• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

WARRIORS TRADE WRIGHT FOR PICK FROM PHILLY

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just when Marcus said he had no value. BOOM. Now we can re-sign Rush and get a player or two. FUCK YEAH!

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not thrilled with the move, but totally understandable. I thought Wright performed well in relation to his contract and would have been totally fine if we went into the season with him on the roster. That being said the Warriors now have some financial flexibility. Signing Rush is obviously a big deal, and after that we should have anywhere from 3-4M to sign a back up big or PG.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MT2 correcting previously stated pick as compensation. Says we're receiving a draft and stash player Philly had. No names so far.

shaffdogg76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with Mr. Thompson's assertion that the Warriors have been shut out of free agency because of a lack of cap space.

They have been shut out of free agency because players still have no desire to play here.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with Mr. Thompson's assertion that the Warriors have been shut out of free agency because of a lack of cap space.

They have been shut out of free agency because players still have no desire to play here.

How much can they accomplish with 2 untradeable contracts (Biedrins and Jefferson), and 4M before the tax line? This is also pre-Rush signing.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does this mean Barnes is pretty much a lock to start?

shaffdogg76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much can they accomplish with 2 untradeable contracts (Biedrins and Jefferson), and 4M before the tax line? This is also pre-Rush signing.
The Biedrins contract doesn't need to be on the books. The same holds true for RJ.

But accepting the fact that those wonderful contracts are on the books - Andre Miller, Jason Kidd, and Brandon Roy chose to play elsewhere. Nash didn't seem to express any interest in coming to this up and coming franchise either.

Having said that, I am interested to see how the Rush negotiations play out. The Warriors should let the market set the price and match the offer (if reasonable). Hopefully, they don't use the extra wiggle room under the tax, created by trading D. Wright, to overpay Rush in $$ or years.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think it's his job to lose, as long as he demonstrates starter skills during summer league and training camp.

The biggest thing that excites me about Barnes is his mid range game. Its such a lost art in the NBA today. You don't see many college players come into the league with that game in their repertoire already.

I also love the fact that he'll be asked to focus on playing lock down defense. He has all the tools to be that type of defender. I remember when he first came to college that was one of the raves about him. He got away from that mindset, now he can get back to it. Music to my ears :music:.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6ev8Fofk7c

The tools are there!

Last edited by a moderator:

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think we see Jefferson start if he comes in to camp in decent/good shape. Barnes will get the Klay Thompson treatment from last year and get solid minutes in the beginning but have Jefferson start and finish games. We could see Barnes take over in the second half, but I think the team will opt to start the vet over the rookie.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Biedrins contract doesn't need to be on the books. The same holds true for RJ.

But accepting the fact that those wonderful contracts are on the books - Andre Miller, Jason Kidd, and Brandon Roy chose to play elsewhere. Nash didn't seem to express any interest in coming to this up and coming franchise either.

Having said that, I am interested to see how the Rush negotiations play out. The Warriors should let the market set the price and match the offer (if reasonable). Hopefully, they don't use the extra wiggle room under the tax, created by trading D. Wright, to overpay Rush in $$ or years.

Shaff - You said, "The Biedrins contract doesn't need to be on the books. The same holds true for RJ."

But in the NBA, all veteran contracts are guaranteed (with rare exception - neither player applies to those exceptions). The Warriors cannot just dump these deals and go sign players.

If you want to go back in time and debate the merits of acquiring Jefferson for Stephen Jackson or using the amnesty clause on Biedrins instead of Charlie Bell, that's already been discussed, argued, flogged and left for dead on the side of the road. The bottom line is that both ARE under contract and until the Warriors find another team dumb enough to take those deals in a trade, both players will remain Warriors for the foreseeable future.

Miller, Nash, and Roy were not discussed as FA targets for the Warriors because the Warriors could not afford the price that any of those players were asking. Kidd publicly stated that his desire was to win, and since Golden State is in a rebuild process, winning is not likely here.

You cannot expect the Warriors to go after guys they cannot afford.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shaff - You said, "The Biedrins contract doesn't need to be on the books. The same holds true for RJ."

But in the NBA, all veteran contracts are guaranteed (with rare exception - neither player applies to those exceptions). The Warriors cannot just dump these deals and go sign players.

If you want to go back in time and debate the merits of acquiring Jefferson for Stephen Jackson or using the amnesty clause on Biedrins instead of Charlie Bell, that's already been discussed, argued, flogged and left for dead on the side of the road. The bottom line is that both ARE under contract and until the Warriors find another team dumb enough to take those deals in a trade, both players will remain Warriors for the foreseeable future.

Miller, Nash, and Roy were not discussed as FA targets for the Warriors because the Warriors could not afford the price that any of those players were asking. Kidd publicly stated that his desire was to win, and since Golden State is in a rebuild process, winning is not likely here.

You cannot expect the Warriors to go after guys they cannot afford.

I typed out something very similar, though not as eloquent, and hit delete, delete, delete. Well said Cam.

shaffdogg76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cam - I am pretty sure the Warriors are not in a rebuild process primarily because of the fact that the Warriors have never been "built" which makes rebuilding impossible.

And alternatively, because of the words of our brazen new owner where he guaranteed the playoffs.

I am equally certain that the provisions of the CBA that allow teams that are actually attractive to free agents to consummate sign and trade deals for quality free agents apply to the Warriors as well.

Phoenix seemed pretty willing to trade Steve Nash anywhere he wanted to go to repay him for his year's of service, so willing that they traded him to a division rival.

Therefore, I will stand by my original statement that "I disagree with Mr. Thompson's assertion that the Warriors have been shut out of free agency because of a lack of cap space.

They have been shut out of free agency because players still have no desire to play here."

Also Brandon Roy was very much discussed as a free agent target. The Warriors GM had two meetings with him. Roy chose to spend his winters in Minnesota instead of the Bay Area, yikes.

Andre Miller was also discussed, at least by those tasked with covering the team for a living, as a potential free agent target as well.