• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

VT offensive changes?

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw this on another board and thought it was interesting. Thought you guys would want to see it as well. Just curious to see any thoughts folks might have. Maybe the buzz about LT comparisons to Cam Newton aren't too far off.

"Very excited about something Bud said last night at the NOVA event.
He mentioned that the offense will invovle the QB more in the running
game than we have in the past. Meaning, true read-option plays like
you saw at Auburn last year. This takes advantage of Logan's size,
speed, and athleticism. Tyrod's running mainly consisted of bailout
runs. We did a have a few plays that appearded to be read-option but I
am not so sure that there was a read (see 4th and goal against UVA
that was stuffed) and, if so, it looks like we hardly practiced it."

BdozerVT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I personally love the idea...just fear for LTs health. We don't know how durable he is yet. One of the reasons Tyrod didnt run very much in 2009 was because they coaches werent comfortable with the backup, Ju-Ju.

So...he DOES seem built like a tank. If he take it, I hope we do it!

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Anyone else see the kid from Oregon on espn showing their read option buck play?

They put one RB in the slot and the QB/RB are in the traditional shotgun set, @ the snap the QB has the option to hand it to the RB on the dive, if not he can read the DE and take it either between tackle and guard or around the end, if the DE is crashing he can also pitch it to the slot/rb who is basically running a sweep pattern.

I'd love to see VT run some plays like that. JO@RB DW in the slot and with LT's strength and speed he's going to be a handful in the 2nd and 3rd level. I guess you could just as easily run the play with roberts in the slot and any of the RB's. Maybe we start to see some pulling guards also?

If we do decide to start running more spread, one big advantage in the run game is that all our WR's know how to block. Boykin, Davis, and Coales should be able to easily handle most CB's and safety in the ACC. I also hope we truly utilize David Wilson to his fullest potential, I want to see him on screen and wheel routes as much as possible. I also hope that with LT's height we will start use more of the short passing game. I love throwing the bomb but there's nothing wrong with picking up 4-7 yards over the middle either.

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else see the kid from Oregon on espn showing their read option buck play?

They put one RB in the slot and the QB/RB are in the traditional shotgun set, @ the snap the QB has the option to hand it to the RB on the dive, if not he can read the DE and take it either between tackle and guard or around the end, if the DE is crashing he can also pitch it to the slot/rb who is basically running a sweep pattern.

I'd love to see VT run some plays like that. JO@RB DW in the slot and with LT's strength and speed he's going to be a handful in the 2nd and 3rd level. I guess you could just as easily run the play with roberts in the slot and any of the RB's. Maybe we start to see some pulling guards also?

If we do decide to start running more spread, one big advantage in the run game is that all our WR's know how to block. Boykin, Davis, and Coales should be able to easily handle most CB's and safety in the ACC. I also hope we truly utilize David Wilson to his fullest potential, I want to see him on screen and wheel routes as much as possible. I also hope that with LT's height we will start use more of the short passing game. I love throwing the bomb but there's nothing wrong with picking up 4-7 yards over the middle either.

I have heard that there will be more short passing over the middle because of LT's height. Should be easy for him to see over the line and throw it over those big guys. Something Tyrod was limited in doing.