• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Virginia Tech Basketball Week 16: Feb. 18 - Feb. 24, Duke, FSU

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
up next: Duke. At least it's at home. Need Raines and Wood to show up in a big way and must learn to get through screens on the perimeter...

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
must play D on the three. something we havent done all year

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basketball_at_Duke-23.jpg

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll start watching but I'm already betting I'll be changing over to Swamp People after the first 8 mins. Green can score 30 but nothing tops Jay Paul jumping into the water and rasslin a gator. Seriously that was one of the dumbest yet somehow badass things ever

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone on this team know how to play team defense? Its like they have never seen an screen in their lives.

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, poor ESPN having to show this game. How you gonna let a team shoot 10-12 from 3? And we're 0-11

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone on this team know how to play team defense? Its like they have never seen an screen in their lives.

Yeah, it was bad. Typical of all season though. No one has any clue on defense. ZERO. They can't over come a basic screen and the doubling the post player is a joke. It's not effective because the guard who is doubling is half-assing it just hanging out in the paint within arm's reach of the post player. Since he's not defending hard on the double, there's an easy pass to a wide open 3.

But back to the screen, coming back from halftime ESPN showed highlights that showed what to do and what not to do on screens. The first was Curry getting open shots off screens as our players had no clue how to defend it. The next was Green coming off screens yet all of Duke's players beautifully switching on every screen, preventing Green from getting a shot. Oh well. At least Swamp People was mildly entertaining

Anybody else miss Greenberg?

No. Weaver should have sacked up and paid for a head coach though.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just let them shoot all the 3's they want in the first half so they will be tired come second half.

basically what happened...but they didnt get tired :pout:

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the refs confused me on this one...they actually called fouls that were really fouls on Duke, to make it appear they were calling an even game....but they still called all the bullshit fouls on us.

Down the stretch, once the game was firmly in hand by Duke, I notice the refs didnt call charge on as many of the Duke flops

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Virginia Tech?s Green gets 22, but is frustrated after Hokies get pounded 88-56 by No. 6 Duke - The Washington Post
“We didn’t pay attention to the scouting reports,” he said, speaking particularly of defending Duke’s Seth Curry. “We’re shooting through gaps instead of chasing Curry. It’s crazy, man. We go over the same thing every single game, and it’s just so frustrating. It boils down to paying attention.”

Hokies coach James Johnson tries to avoid putting Green on the other team’s top scoring threat, preferring to conserve his energy for offense. Eventually he had no choice as Curry hit three early 3-pointers.

“On the offensive end they are throwing two or three guys at him, they’re pressing him, and then he has to guard the best player on the team,” Johnson said of Green. “I’m sure he’s feeling it a little bit.”

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a little bit? I'd hate to see what feeling it a lot is considering Green basically passed out on the sidelines 2 weeks ago. Makes you wonder where the problem is if they do go over it every day in practice. Is it the players not giving a rat's ass or is JJ just not effectively teaching them. I suppose it could be both. All I know is they look a hot mess out there on both sides of the ball most of the time.

I'd feel way more comfortable about the future if I saw good principles and fundamentals but we were just getting beat by superior talent. That would at least show there's direction. Instead, it usually looks like some dudes showing up at a rec league that's never played with each other and properly getting housed. It's easy to sympathize with Green in that respect. He's out there giving it his all and everyone else seems to be staring into space