• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Virginia Tech 2015 Recruiting Target List

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saban can go choke on a shit sandwich for all I care.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 decommits so far in this class and it's still February

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nobody ever accused Saban of having class. At the same time, he's won a couple of national championships, so a phone call from him has a particular weight, and he didn't really get there by being a nice guy, so why would he change now?

I'd prefer kids not commit if they don't mean it, but I'd much rather someone decommit NOW than next January or February, if that's what they're going to do.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd prefer kids not commit if they don't mean it, but I'd much rather someone decommit NOW than next January or February, if that's what they're going to do.

:agree:

Keep recruiting Barnett, but assume he will not be a Hokie. The in state kids Ferrell and Sweat need to be priority anyway.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sweat and Ferrell ... They're top priority and both top 50'ish players in the country.

Settle would be huge.

If we miss on all three of them, that says it all. It's early but perception is everything.

Barnett's gone. I agree to keep recruiting him but we have to recruit all of em hard.

vtfan15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yep need to close on this in state DL talent this year. According to most we are in very good position with pretty much all of the following guys, but we know how that goes... We do have pretty significant connections with a lot of them either in terms of teammates or their high school in general.

4* DE Josh Sweat
4* DE Darrell Taylor
4* DE Clelin Ferrell
4* DT Darvin Taylor
3/4* DL Harry Lewis
3* DE Trevon Hill

Rocco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Nobody ever accused Saban of having class. At the same time, he's won a couple of national championships, so a phone call from him has a particular weight, and he didn't really get there by being a nice guy, so why would he change now?

Saban is classless for doing what every other coach does?

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Saban is classless for doing what every other coach does?

I don't think every coach calls commits to other programs to try to get them to flip. I've never heard of Beamer doing that.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Most coaches don't give a shit who someone is committed to. Until an LOI is signed, there is no such thing as a "commitment". We recruited Isaiah Ford when he was committed to Louisville and it worked out for us. This happens. Saban isn't the only one doing it.

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure where Barnett would fit on our D-Line anyways. He is tall and will add more weight for sure, which means he will probably get bumped to DT in our system. Then he is too tall for our typical DTs which are around 6'-6'2, unless he has very good leverage ability. I am sure he is a beast, but i bet that another recruiter fed that bit right into his ear.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I will never question the mastermind that is Bud Foster, I ask a question, someone please enlighten me. Why do we run the hybrid defense that we do?? I have heard that before it was because we had a limited pool of talent and CBF scutes his defense around the type of skills (in players) that we could recruit. I have also heard with the coming of the spread offense his D is built for speed to stop those types of offenses. Now with better, more athletic D linemen looking at us, wouldn't it make sense to start transitioning to a more traditional defense??

Whatsupppppppp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now with better, more athletic D linemen looking at us, wouldn't it make sense to start transitioning to a more traditional defense??

If I were coach for a day, I believe my thinking would be something like this:

Defenses are built to destroy. You place players where they are needed, but that need is determined by the style of play of the opponent.

Spread attacks require different defensive response than a pro style attack.

Unbalanced attacks, ie, primarily running teams, or passing teams, require still another response by the defense, which further dictates the defensive formation, and style of players needed on the field.

And, at any time during the game, you must be capable of defending against the non standard play by a team, for instance, an occasional fly pattern by a predominately power running team.

For the reasons above, I would recruit the best players available, and set my basic defensive style and system of play utilizing the best players available. I would draft players to beat the top couple of teams in my conference, like FSU and Clem, if in doing so, a specific type of player was needed.

I would rather just draft the best available, and utilize what I have to respond to the challanges that different teams dictate to the defense.

I would take a powerful, athletic 6'6"DT in a heartbeat, and workup the team to make it work somehow.

I never did like the idea of filling up a team to fit a certain mold, because that paradigm requires that a single type of player be capable of responding to a myriad of varying responsibilities, which requires top ability in all measurables, which is simply not possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

HokieNut20

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you have any idea how hard what you're saying would be to do? What happens after you get that 6'6 DT and he leaves early for the NFL and the cream of the crop who are interested in your university are 6' high motor kids? Switch again?, whlie everyone you currently have on your roster has just become accustomed to the new defense, so since these recruits are the best of the best we completely change again?

Not bashing you, just saying that I think it's sad to the state of how much we're following recruiting when we're criticizing one of if not the best defensive coordinator in college football for not reeling in the big guys when he's going out and getting his guys and being wildly successful with them. When our offense's identity comes in and catches up with it we'll be a top notch team again.

Whatsupppppppp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you have any idea how hard what you're saying would be to do? What happens after you get that 6'6 DT and he leaves early for the NFL and the cream of the crop who are interested in your university are 6' high motor kids? Switch again?, whlie everyone you currently have on your roster has just become accustomed to the new defense, so since these recruits are the best of the best we completely change again?

Not bashing you, just saying that I think it's sad to the state of how much we're following recruiting when we're criticizing one of if not the best defensive coordinator in college football for not reeling in the big guys when he's going out and getting his guys and being wildly successful with them. When our offense's identity comes in and catches up with it we'll be a top notch team again.

Bud is making do, with what he can get, and he is doing very well. Perhaps he could even be doing better with a beast here and there. Im not saying scrap anything. Im saying be flexible enough to be able to plug in a beast into your system of play, by making appropriate modificatioins to it. No bashing of Bud by me.

Its like a basketball team that cant find a true center, so they get more 3s and 4s and go fast paced. Then, when they get their 7'2" center, they go to a half court game. Fit the play scheme to the talent available.

Don't you think we put in packages for certain players, because of their skill set? Works for the offense all the time, and I see no reason at all why it can't work with the defense. Hugh Freeze will play the best players, regardless of their physical attributes. Playmakers make plays, but they need to be playing first.

Remember, Bud offered this kid, so in effect, he is doing this already. I believe he would have been all along, but just couldnt get many guys like this to commit, so he did what he could with what he had, which is exactly what Im saying. Just dont get locked into last years schemes, because those schemes were developed to take advantage of the skills and measurables of the players available, and imo, should change every year. We are talking little changes here, not overall philosophy changes.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. I am tired of hearing people say, oh well, he doesn't fit our scheme. That is a lot of crap. If you don't think we would have taken Andrew Brown because he was too tall then you are on crack. We just haven't gotten these guys. Our DL shoots gaps instead of just eating up blocks. We have guys who can do that but aren't elite talent. When we start getting that elite talent, the DL will be doing the same thing but will be more effective.

HokieNut20

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this kid probably would end up on the OL here. And Andrew Brown would fit our scheme because he has a combination of size, speed and tenacity. It's the speed and tenacity that's the key factors in the scheme. It doesn't matter if the guys are 6'6 or 6' they need the other aspects of their game. I think people are looking at it wrong from what our "scheme" means, as well as a lot of people use that as a crutch to quell the feelings of losing a top notch player.

People tend to say "He doesn't fit our scheme" to describe most top quality players we don't get and that's not the case....it's the fact that we just couldn't win the battle for the kid.

In this case I think the kid has potential to play either side of the ball and be a star either way. Maybe better on one side than the other depending on what school and program he chooses.

vtfan15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Hokies&amp;src=hash">#Hokies</a> Remain Barnett's (<a href="https://twitter.com/JermaineJr77">@JermaineJr77</a> ) Leader <a href="http://t.co/SQtombpC0l">http://t.co/SQtombpC0l</a> via <a href="https://twitter.com/thekeyplay">@thekeyplay</a></p>&mdash; ThekeyplayRecruiting (@TKP_Recruiting) <a href="https://twitter.com/TKP_Recruiting/statuses/435779735117762560">February 18, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

vtfan15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Per <a href="https://twitter.com/jcshurburtt">@jcshurburtt</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Hokies&amp;src=hash">#Hokies</a> offer in-state WR Felton Davis III (Free, Mobile) <a href="http://t.co/m42ZQgaSeV">http://t.co/m42ZQgaSeV</a></p>&mdash; VTScoop247 (@VTScoop247) <a href="https://twitter.com/VTScoop247/statuses/436575741296529408">February 20, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>