• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Virginia Tech 2013 Recruiting Target List

jermadams

HOKIES!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Def. helps that Matt Rolin's brother was a walk on for the hokies this year...Scott Rolin... Matt was really impressive at the state game this year!

ImAHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yea, I realize people here don't like a certain site but that certain site has an interview with Fuller from yesterday and amongst the interview he is asked what offers stand out to which he replies "Virginia Tech...uh...uh...uh..." and it takes him literally 5-7 seconds to name anyone else when VT came out without any hesitation.

He also later more or less says VT is the best school for him right now because of the tradition with the DBs and the opportunity for PT. It was a very pro-VT interview and if he had inserted any other school for VT, their fanbase would be sky high right now.

Also claims he doesn't want to take anywhere near as long as Diggs so I think he'll probably shoot to commit before fall.

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yea, I realize people here don't like a certain site but that certain site has an interview with Fuller from yesterday and amongst the interview he is asked what offers stand out to which he replies "Virginia Tech...uh...uh...uh..." and it takes him literally 5-7 seconds to name anyone else when VT came out without any hesitation.

He also later more or less says VT is the best school for him right now because of the tradition with the DBs and the opportunity for PT. It was a very pro-VT interview and if he had inserted any other school for VT, their fanbase would be sky high right now.

Also claims he doesn't want to take anywhere near as long as Diggs so I think he'll probably shoot to commit before fall.
Nice, I dont have a subscription to Rivals, thanks for sharing

BTW ImAHokie set your profile up for private messaging, just noticed you didn't have it set up that way

Last edited by a moderator:

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice, I dont have a subscription to Rivals, thanks for sharing

BTW ImAHokie set your profile up for private messaging, just noticed you didn't have it set up that way

I think that he needs to have 50 posts before he can PM....so POST A LOT, HA HA!!!

vtfan15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
From twitter:

gcfootball GC Football
#GC's 2013 ATH Kendall Fuller ran a 4.5 40 best time at the @ArmyAllAmerican Combine
2 hours ago

gcfootball GC Football
@247Sports reports that #GC's Fuller and Levrone stoodout in one on ones
2 hours ago

gcfootball GC Football
#GC's 2013 RB/LB Dorian O'Daniel ran the best shuttle at the @ArmyAllAmerican Combine 4.19

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that im skeptical butttt 247 saying Levrone stoodout doesn't surprise me. UVA is his only offer...

JDVT5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw Bucky play in the Eastern Region championship game against Oscar Smith and JC Coleman. All I have to say is that he is a monster. Reminds me so much of Logan, not just in his build and talent but also in how he carries himself. Salem was down 35-7 at halftime. He brought them all the way back. Had it not been for a missed two point conversion, Salem should have been the state champs (assuming Salem would bulldoze through the rest of the competition how Oscar Smith did).

HokieChamp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw Bucky play in the Eastern Region championship game against Oscar Smith and JC Coleman. All I have to say is that he is a monster. Reminds me so much of Logan, not just in his build and talent but also in how he carries himself. Salem was down 35-7 at halftime. He brought them all the way back. Had it not been for a missed two point conversion, Salem should have been the state champs (assuming Salem would bulldoze through the rest of the competition how Oscar Smith did).

You got me thinking about something...we've seen what a lethal weapon LT is, and Bucky has similar measurables...are we seeing a change in the style QB VT is going after, or are we just going after the best out there and it's a coincidence? Personally, I would like to see a shift away from the run-first QB and towards a pass-first QB, but we've got to have an O-line, RB, and WR corps that are at least decent to compliment that style of play. Unfortunately, it just always seems like we throw puzzle pieces out there hoping they fit together to make a bigger picture.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
You got me thinking about something...we've seen what a lethal weapon LT is, and Bucky has similar measurables...are we seeing a change in the style QB VT is going after, or are we just going after the best out there and it's a coincidence? Personally, I would like to see a shift away from the run-first QB and towards a pass-first QB,but we've got to have an O-line, RB, and WR corps that are at least decent to compliment that style of play. Unfortunately, it just always seems like we throw puzzle pieces out there hoping they fit together to make a bigger picture.

I think if there is a tyrod or MV type player in our region we are always going to go after them, but if not that level of QB I'd say we will stick with the bigger (hopefully athletic) guy.

Fetti

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You got me thinking about something...we've seen what a lethal weapon LT is, and Bucky has similar measurables...are we seeing a change in the style QB VT is going after, or are we just going after the best out there and it's a coincidence? Personally, I would like to see a shift away from the run-first QB and towards a pass-first QB, but we've got to have an O-line, RB, and WR corps that are at least decent to compliment that style of play. Unfortunately, it just always seems like we throw puzzle pieces out there hoping they fit together to make a bigger picture.

You won't see us shift towards immobile QB's. Ever since Vick, Beamer has been fixated with dual-threat QB's (and I think that's a good thing for us). Bud Foster has repeatedly stated in public that dual-threat QB's are the most difficult thing to defend and that's a good part of why Beamer believes they are the best option. We know we can't recruit top-flight o-line talent which is part of it also.

Teams hated defending Tyrod and Marcus; IMO Randall is as immobile as you will see a QB from here on out at Tech, and he could still get downfield.

Edit: BTW, I don't think we have had "run-first" QB's recently. Bryan Randall and Marcus Vick were both pass-first guys. It was widely reported how the coaches actually were telling Marcus to take off with the ball more often. I think you saw Tyrod as a run-first QB during the "2 quarterback system" days when we used him that way. As he developed, especially his senior year, he was most definitely a pass-first quarterback.

HokieChamp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You won't see us shift towards immobile QB's. Ever since Vick, Beamer has been fixated with dual-threat QB's (and I think that's a good thing for us). Bud Foster has repeatedly stated in public that dual-threat QB's are the most difficult thing to defend and that's a good part of why Beamer believes they are the best option. We know we can't recruit top-flight o-line talent which is part of it also.

Teams hated defending Tyrod and Marcus; IMO Randall is as immobile as you will see a QB from here on out at Tech, and he could still get downfield.

Edit: BTW, I don't think we have had "run-first" QB's recently. Bryan Randall and Marcus Vick were both pass-first guys. It was widely reported how the coaches actually were telling Marcus to take off with the ball more often. I think you saw Tyrod as a run-first QB during the "2 quarterback system" days when we used him that way. As he developed, especially his senior year, he was most definitely a pass-first quarterback.

There's no doubt that Tyrod was a passer by the end of his senior year, just wondering if the philosophy is shifting away from the shifty, smaller, faster guys, to the bigger, slightly slower bruisers. Of course, Glennon was a pass-first guy, but he really couldn't run either so I don't count him. I guess I'm thinking more along the physical attributes of the players than the raw skill sets.

Fetti

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I see what you're saying now. I think it's more a product of the prospects available more than shifting away from speedy guys; you obviously prefer QB's that are 6'2'' or better. There rarely are highly rated QB's that are shorter than that anyway, and Tyrod was just an exception who was a freak athlete 5-star QB despite his lack of height.

The dual-threat guys coming out of VA just haven't been as fast. If you look at Tajh Boyd, EJ Manuel, Phillip Sims, Kevin Newsome - those were all guys of bigger build than Tyrod that could hang in the pocket longer. We would've taken any of them obviously, and heavily recruited Marquise Williams from NC. So I think it's more a product of who's available.

Bucky Hodges for instance fits that mold. The staff is not heavily pursuing Ryan Burns (pro-style) from what I've heard.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we should stick with the athletic QB rather than a dual threat IMO. We need a guy who is a passer first like LT and Tyrod late career rather than Tyrod early career.

Fetti

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think people are confusing "dual-threat" with "run-first." Logan Thomas is a dual-threat, Tyrod was a dual-threat as a senior, Marcus Vick was a dual-threat. All of those guys are pass-first though.

When I say dual-threat I guess I mean't a QB that is a threat to run the football AND pass it, not just run. I think we should always recruit guys that are dual-threat. For one, Bud Foster has stated that if he was head coach he would use dual-threat QB's because he believes they are the hardest thing to defend in college football. As a fan, I typically am more nervous of a QB like Tajh Boyd than say Mike Glennon or TJ Yates. Yates turned out to be an NFL guy but he was a turnover machine when he played Bud's D.

I definitely agree that if they can't throw effectively, then they don't provide much of a threat, as teams were able to key in on Tyrod early in his career when they knew we only threw him in the game to run designed QB draws and etc.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We really better not miss on Bucky. It's painful to see us whiff on players like Philip Sims (obviously to early to tell w Cyrus Jones) who won't even see the field at Alabama...

Fetti

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Technically Sims could start for 1 yr at 'Bama, if Mcarron stays healthy and finishes out his career as a starter. Assuming Logan Thomas would've beat him out at Tech, he would've only started at VT for a year as well.