• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Virginia Tech 2013 Recruiting Target List

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey now, we at VPI produce a plethora of officers every year. My father and grandfather were both officers coming from the little cow town known as Blacksburg.

I actually came really close to attending an academy, sort of.....

I work with and know a few officers from the USMA and AFA and they were all cool, down to earth and easy to work with but I am a civilian.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
My great-uncle was a 1909 Tech grad. He was called up for WWI in 1917 as an infantry officer, but caught the Spanish flu in 1918 before he could be sent overseas. By the time he recovered from the flu the war was over.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My great-uncle was a 1909 Tech grad. He was called up for WWI in 1917 as an infantry officer, but caught the Spanish flu in 1918 before he could be sent overseas. By the time he recovered from the flu the war was over.

LOL, we epidemiologists like to call that the Kansas flu, since it had nothing to do with Spain or the Spanish, ha ha.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
LOL, we epidemiologists like to call that the Kansas flu, since it had nothing to do with Spain or the Spanish, ha ha.

Ha!! True!

Did you ever read the book by John M. Barry, "The Great Influenza. The Epic Story of the Deadliest Plague in History"? Barry did a great job detailing the origins of the disease and a step-by-step description on how it played out.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha!! True!

Did you ever read the book by John M. Barry, "The Great Influenza. The Epic Story of the Deadliest Plague in History"? Barry did a great job detailing the origins of the disease and a step-by-step description on how it played out.

Yes I did. It is sitting on my bookshelf right now as well. If you are into that stuff, remind me and i can give you a list of really really good books on plagues, outbreaks and how microbes have really shaped the world.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yes I did. It is sitting on my bookshelf right now as well. If you are into that stuff, remind me and i can give you a list of really really good books on plagues, outbreaks and how microbes have really shaped the world.

That would be great!

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TAE - no worries I understood your intent! and to All the rest, yes, we hope for a great weekend at TECH too! How wonderful it would be for me to be able to come on here and tell you Tech offered. That would be the ultimate dream fulfilled for Dillon....and me! Thanks for all your support and encouragement!

Me thinks Kickermom would cry with joy. I probably would too.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard there's some kind of tie between him and Fuller. Not sure what it is. Maybe that helps us.

He and Fuller are friends, and he has some family members that think of VT very favorably.

TagAndBrag

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
All,

There's a reason I said "most" and "academy". In fairness, they are highly intelligent, 21-24 year old freshly minted brass that are new to the real military - most haven't had a job at all - and have to go through a few years or ten of growing pains. Others are outstanding. I worked with an AFA LT that essentially ran our entire prison in Iraq because the Army Colonel and his dozen Warrant Officers weren't worth a shit. Most of them never quite get it that they don't outrank 25 year E-9s (who in the AF and USN often have one or more grad degrees), but make excellent senior officers... As long as they get there on their merits and not by knocking rings.

If it were my son or daughter, I would be honored for them to gain any commission, including that which comes as a result of the best schools our nation has to offer. IMO, West Point > Harvard/MIT/UC-B by a mile, and I work with grads from them all.

All that said, I hope VT offers Dillon this weekend and he joins our class. I fear - with no inside information - that the coaches feel that they have to get the AA walk-on K on campus for practice/evaluations before they can offer Dillon in a low scholly year.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nice highlight reel! The first two kicks (60 and 48 yarder) were very nice, I like the 68 yarder that would have been good from 64-65. I would say if Beamer doesn't offer Dillon..it would only be because of numbers or that the offering kickers scholarship deal would be over (thanks CJ). The value of a great kicker cannot be understated though IMO. We have seen that first hand the last couple of years. I wonder if a grayshirt/delayed schollie would be an option for him at the VERY least..

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
As far as Dillon goes, he's made no secret that he likes VT, so I'd love to see them commit to him. I know it's not as simple as that, but it's still what I'd like to see.

Rocky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very happy for him. Hopefully we'll offer him at camp, bit if not, the service academies are perhaps the best schools in the country... And come with a guaranteed, meaningful job.

Most "academy" officers are pricks, but then again, so are most Ivy League grads.

Not true for USMA, USCGA, or USNA. Somewhat true for USAFA.

Hell yes for Princeton, no for Brown, yes Yale, sometimes Harvard, but not most by a longshot.

kickermom27

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well all I know is if it's meant to be it will be! Dillon's cousin goes to TECH - just finished her freshman year and made straight A's this semester. She loves it there! His uncle went there too - her dad. We have so many friends and family that are TECH fans and to be able to have someone on the team they know to root for would be awesome. When I posted on Facebook about the NAVY offer, so many people we're texting me and commenting that they want Dillon in the HokieNation. He just feels like that is where he is supposed to be.

Rocky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ive got 3 rather technical and thick tomes on the subject myself. did some self study after the Reston scare.

Rocky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have had the privilige of working with the military officer rank for nearly 40 years, including two tours at the five sided puzzle palace, two other DC tours, and the rest in Naval War College, Joint Staff, and Joint Commands in Norfolk.

My experience is as stated by 46. Some of the very finest people I know are academy grads. The USMC, knocked by someone here earlier, has by far the best esprit de corps of any service, and rightly so. First in battle, pride in everything they do, even the grunts display the highest degree of professionalism. If you think they are cocky, they are. Thats because they work harder than any other service at fitness, pride, and service.

Army, Navy, and CG academy grads are first class. Most of the real assholes in the Army and Navy are ROTC grads, not academy grads.

NAVSEA 08 has the toughest entry standards, and personal inerview for anyone entering the sub nuclear force. Those guys are considered elite among all services. Ive spent lots of time at sea on subs, and there are no officers in any other service that can stand up to their rigors.

Air force has tit deployments compared to the other services.

Jet pilots in both the AF and Navy, are prima donnas.

Navy grunts are slovenly (unlike marine grunts), as are many of the officers.

Army grunts have come a long way, and there is an spirit growing there, eminating from Delta force, and 101st Airborne.

Its all volunteer today, and these guys put their lives on the line for the rest of us, and if they seem to be proud of that, they deserve to be, and I give them my respect and appreciation.