• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Virgina Tech RB Facing Felony Malicious Wounding Charge

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michael Holmes of Virginia Tech Hokies facing felony for fight - ESPN

BLACKSBURG, Va. -- Virginia Tech tailback Michael Holmes is facing a felony malicious wounding charge after a weekend fight in Blacksburg.

Holmes, 19, was arrested after police were called to a fight about 1:50 a.m. Sunday. He also faces two misdemeanor assault and battery charges as a result of the incident, which began as an altercation between two women, Lt. Nathan O'Dell with the Blacksburg Police Department said Monday.

ACC blog
ESPN.com's Heather Dinich and Andrea Adelson write about all things ACC in the conference blog.

• Blog network:
College Football Nation

Malicious wounding charges typically result from an assault with a weapon but can also result from broken bones or severe lacerations, O'Dell said.

One person was taken to the hospital as a result of the fight, but O'Dell declined to reveal the nature of his injuries. Two others were treated at the scene.

Holmes, who is being held without bond at the Montgomery County jail, was to be arraigned Monday. However, Holmes has hired a lawyer, postponing his appearance until Tuesday.

Jimmy Turk, Holmes' attorney, did not immediately return a phone message left at his office by The Associated Press.

Holmes is automatically suspended from the football team because of the felony charge, per university policy. If convicted, he would be dismissed.

Coach Frank Beamer and his staff were not immediately available for comment.

The redshirt sophomore's arrest came only hours after he led all rushers in the Hokies' spring game with 24 yards on seven carries.

He was expected to contend for a starting job this season along with sophomore J.C. Coleman and redshirt freshman Trey Edmunds. Holmes rushed for 280 yards last season, and spoke after the scrimmage about having made big strides and "being a leader" to his teammates.

"I played last year, so I've been trying to get all the young bucks together, keep them working hard," he said Saturday night. "The thing we're going to work on the most is being consistent. Just grinding, putting in work, trying to get better."

Holmes also had offers from James Madison University and Virginia out of HS.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is he off the team then?

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any felony charges bring an automatic suspension from the team at VT.

We'll see what charges actually stick. The Blacksburg PD is notorious for over-charging. A couple years ago they arrested guys and charged them with a felony, claiming they were 'Detonating Explosives' when they were screwing around with Mentos and Diet Coke.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. He is automatically suspended indefinitely until the charges are clarified. If it remains a felony he will be gone for sure.

There are two stories out there. One is not as bad as the other but it is not good. There was no weapon involved. That I can assure you.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like he was getting ready to contribute. That blows.

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a shame he isn't in the SEC, he'd probably be okay in reference to not loosing any playing time.

:rofl:

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well spring is here and that can only mean one thing. It's time for football players to get into serious trouble. We have drug possession, armed robbery, burglaries, girl friend assault, bar fights. Gentlemen, take your pick, and start getting suspended.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm I the only one who noticed he led the team in rush yards in the spring game with 24? How many running backs got carries? 10?

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No weapon was used...and apparently it all began with him breaking up his girlfriend and another girl from fighting, when the other girl's boyfriend jumped in and got his wig split.

No weapon = who gives a shit, imo. If he was the instigator he deserves an assault and battery charge at worst.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our running game sucked in the SG, if that's what you wanted to know uncfan. Holmes was slated to compete but was likely going to be 3rd string.

As far as the incident, I have heard two different accounts. One paints him as unfortunate in his own ability to do damage. The other paints it a bit worse for him. I assume the truth lies somewhere in the middle but this is also not Holmes' first incident in Blacksburg.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a shame he isn't in the SEC, he'd probably be okay in reference to not loosing any playing time.

Saban would suspend him for the Tennessee Chattanooga and Florida Atlantic games.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saban would suspend him for the Tennessee Chattanooga and Florida Atlantic games.

Or kick him off the team like he did the other 4 who got in big trouble. Good post though.

HawkeyesRuleURFace

Avid Basketball Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard he was smoking weed with Manziel court side at a Spurs game while doing shots with whale and texting the Jonas brothers about their 8 am tee time

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

loosing time? Not sure what that means. Must be that B12 education shining through.

Anyway, if this fella was playing at UGA, he would have been charged for public drunkenness instead.

ugafan6612

Oh I really like boobs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
loosing time? Not sure what that means. Must be that B12 education shining through.

Anyway, if this fella was playing at UGA, he would have been charged for public drunkenness instead.

But then we would have sent him to LSU

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm I the only one who noticed he led the team in rush yards in the spring game with 24? How many running backs got carries? 10?

Barely ran it at all in the 2nd half and the guy who will most likely be the starter had about 70 yards called back for Oline penalties. 2nd string guy didn't have many carries because he was dinged up and wasn't even suppose to play in the game at all.