• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

VFL's 2016 Big Ten Predictions

VFL1995

Vol For Eternity
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big Ten East:
1. Ohio State Buckeyes 10-3(8-2)
1. Michigan Wolverines 10-2(7-2)
1. Michigan State Spartans 9-3(7-2)
4. Penn State Nittany Lions 7-5(5-4)
5. Rutgers Scarlet Knights 6-6(4-5)
6. Indiana Hoosiers 6-6(3-6)
7. Maryland Terrapins 4-8(1-8)

Big Ten West:
1. Nebraska Cornhuskers 10-3(8-2)
2. Iowa Hawkeyes 10-2(7-2)
3. Wisconsin Badgers 8-4(6-3)
4. Minnesota Golden Gophers 7-5(4-5)
4. Northwestern Wildcats 6-6(4-5)
6. Purdue Boilermakers 4-8(2-7)
7. Illinois Fighting Illini 1-11(0-9)

Big Ten Championship:

Ohio State over Nebraska

Coach of the Year:

Mike Riley, Nebraska

MVP:

J.T. Barrett, Ohio State

Offensive Player of the Year:

Saquon Barkley, Penn State

Defensive Player of the Year:

Jabrill Peppers, Michigan

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have that much faith in Tommy Armstrong leading a 10-2 team. Too much of a gun slinger.

You don't think Lovie will have an immediate impact? I can see his defensive mind and Lunt leading the offense gets them to bowl game.

Pretty good predictions IMO

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My Predictions

East

Ohio State 10-2 (8-1) - L to Oklahoma, Wisconsin
Michigan 11-1 (8-1) - L to Ohio State
Michigan State 9-3 (7-2) - L to Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State
Penn State 7-5 (4-5) - L to Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio State, Iowa, Michigan State
Indiana 6-6 (3-6) - L to MSU, tOSU, Neb, NW, PSU, Mich
Maryland 5-7 (2-7) - W vs Howard, FIU, UCF, Purdue, Rutgers
Rutgers 2-10 (1-8) - W vs Howard, New Mexico

West

Iowa
11-1 (8-1) - L to Michigan
Wisconsin 9-3 (7-2) - L to LSU, Michigan, Iowa
Nebraska 8-4 (6-3) - L to Oregon, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Iowa
Minnesota 9-3 (6-3) - L to Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin
Illinois 5-7 (3-6) - W vs Murray State, WMU, Purdue, Rutgers, Northwestern
Northwestern 5-7 (3-6) - W vs WMU, Ill St, Indiana, Purdue, Minnesota
Purdue 2-10 (0-9) - W vs E Kentucky, Nevada

B1G Championship

Ohio State over Iowa

*Wisconsin is a trap game for Ohio State, in a way. Wisconsin loses to Michigan State, has a bye week, and defeats Ohio State at Camp Randall a week before Ohio State faces Penn State at Beaver Stadium. Then Wisconsin is hung over when they go to Iowa City which Iowa has Purdue the week before and week off after.

VFL1995

Vol For Eternity
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have that much faith in Tommy Armstrong leading a 10-2 team. Too much of a gun slinger.

You don't think Lovie will have an immediate impact? I can see his defensive mind and Lunt leading the offense gets them to bowl game.

Pretty good predictions IMO

I think they have the potential to get to 4-5 wins but that schedule is rough. That's the main reason I have them 1-11

VFL1995

Vol For Eternity
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My Predictions

East

Penn State 7-5 (4-5) - L to Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio State, Iowa, Michigan State

West

Iowa

B1G Championship

Ohio State over Iowa

*Wisconsin is a trap game for Ohio State, in a way. Wisconsin loses to Michigan State, has a bye week, and defeats Ohio State at Camp Randall a week before Ohio State faces Penn State at Beaver Stadium. Then Wisconsin is hung over when they go to Iowa City which Iowa has Purdue the week before and week off after.

I agree about the Wisconsin game. I have Wisconsin upsetting Ohio State. Also think Ohio State loses to Oklahoma and to Michigan State

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big Ten East:
1. Michigan Wolverines 10-2(7-2)
1. Michigan State Spartans 9-3(7-2)
4. Penn State Nittany Lions 7-5(5-4)
5. Rutgers Scarlet Knights 6-6(4-5)
6. Indiana Hoosiers 6-6(3-6)
7. Maryland Terrapins 4-8(1-8)

Big Ten West:
2. Iowa Hawkeyes 10-2(7-2)
3. Wisconsin Badgers 8-4(6-3)
4. Minnesota Golden Gophers 7-5(4-5)
4. Northwestern Wildcats 6-6(4-5)
6. Purdue Boilermakers 4-8(2-7)
7. Illinois Fighting Illini 1-11(0-9)

Big Ten Championship:

Ohio State over Nebraska

Coach of the Year:

Mike Riley, Nebraska

MVP:

J.T. Barrett, Ohio State

Offensive Player of the Year:

Saquon Barkley, Penn State

Defensive Player of the Year:

Jabrill Peppers, Michigan

My Predictions

East

West

Iowa

B1G Championship

Ohio State over Iowa

Ohio State 11-1
Michigan 11-1
Penn State 8-4
Michigan State 8-4
Indiana 6-6
maryland 4-8
Rutgers 2-10

Iowa 10-2
Northwestern 8-4
Wisconsin 7-5
Nebraska 7-5
Minnesota 5-7
Illinois 3-9
Purdue 3-9

I have no idea if my wins and losses add up, those were just my quick looks at the teams, except more in depth on Michigan State, Nebraska, Northwestern, Penn State, and Wisconsin.

Good luck.

Ohio State beats iowa.

VFL1995

Vol For Eternity
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohio State 11-1
Michigan 11-1
Penn State 8-4
Michigan State 8-4
Indiana 6-6
maryland 4-8
Rutgers 2-10

Iowa 10-2
Northwestern 8-4
Wisconsin 7-5
Nebraska 7-5
Minnesota 5-7
Illinois 3-9
Purdue 3-9

I have no idea if my wins and losses add up, those were just my quick looks at the teams, except more in depth on Michigan State, Nebraska, Northwestern, Penn State, and Wisconsin.

Good luck.

Ohio State beats iowa.

Wow, a Nebraska fan picking them 7-5. You guys are being hyped up. Why 7-5?

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, a Nebraska fan picking them 7-5. You guys are being hyped up. Why 7-5?

Nebraska plays @Northwestern, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Iowa. Ohio State is a for sure loss. Nebraska has not lost by less than 30 points in Madison.(let that sink in)

Over the past decade or 15 years, Nebraska has played terrible on the road against good teams. If it is a night road game and on real grass, the results are even more horrifying.

Last year, Nebraska lost AT Purdue. Purdue's only Big Ten win in three years. Nebraska lost AT Illinois. Nebraska lost AT Miami. The road games in 2016 are of much higher caliber than 2015. Two of those teams fired their coaching staffs after the season, Purdue should be firing theirs after this season.

The @Indiana game will be a high scorer. Bet the over.

The home game of Oregon will be a high scorer. Bet the over.

Did the coaches learn anything from the mistakes the coaches made last year? The coaches definitely lost two games, maybe three games, in 2015. Not the players. Bad Coaching decisions were made. The only coach that was replaced was the D Line coach. The coach of the #8 rush defense, but he could not recruit and the D Line hated him. Historically, this coaching staff is not a proven winner. Their hope is that at Nebraska they can change this perception.

4 new O lineman. Can Tommy Armstrong be protected? If Tommy Armstrong has to scramble, and the coaches tell him that he cannot risk being hurt, Tommy Armstrong will try to make a throw that he should not make. Usually results in a turnover, even worse, a pick six.

Still have Turnover Tommy Armstrong. He can win you games, he can lose you games. Can make terrible decisions in clutch situations. If the coaches allow him to run more instead of making him throw, he can be an effective weapon. I think they are scared of having him hurt because the backups are OH MY GOD. This year, there is a freshman QB though. He looked good in high school, lots of NFL potential, but he is all of 18 years old.

Running Backs are okay.

Receivers are pretty good. The strength of the offense.

Special Teams are pretty good, punting is excellent, FG kicking is pretty good. If Pierson El can come back and be the player he was two years ago as a punt return threat, maybe. Two excellent freshman could also make this punt return team a good weapon. ALL the special teams players were recruited by the previous staff. Except for the two incoming freshman.

Offense will score points. High powered.

DEFENSE (caveat I don't like Mark Banker the Defensive Coordinator)

Completely new defensive line. Can they stop the run? Can they pressure the QB? OK, not totally new, three of them have played.

Linebackers did not play well last year, and it is the same bunch. The linebacker play was better than in 2014 though. (Let that one sink in) Could not cover medium fast to fast backs, could not pressure the QB. I think Weber is the best linebacker, he sits on the bench. If Michael Rose Ivey can play injury free, he is good, BIG IF. Josh Banderas has not lived up to his billing. When he was hurt and Weber replaced him, I saw better play.

Defensive Backfield. Pass Defense was atrocious last year, mostly because the QB had all day and all week to throw the ball. I think the Defensive backs are the strength of the team this year, last year it was D Line. All four DB starters have playing experience and should play well. But if the six or seven guys up front can't do anything it won't matter, the QB will pick them apart again.

Possible All Americans and NFL Draft Picks
Jordan Westerkamp receiver
Sam Foltz punter
Nate Gerry safety

I see nine wins as the MAX Nebraska can have.

Last edited:

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska plays @Northwestern, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Iowa. Ohio State is a for sure loss. Nebraska has not lost by less than 30 points in Madison.(let that sink in)

Over the past decade or 15 years, Nebraska has played terrible on the road against good teams. If it is a night road game and on real grass, the results are even more horrifying.

Last year, Nebraska lost AT Purdue. Purdue's only Big Ten win in three years. Nebraska lost AT Illinois. Nebraska lost AT Miami. The road games in 2016 are of much higher caliber than 2015. Two of those teams fired their coaching staffs after the season, Purdue should be firing theirs after this season.

The @Indiana game will be a high scorer. Bet the over.

The home game of Oregon will be a high scorer. Bet the over.

Did the coaches learn anything from the mistakes the coaches made last year? The coaches definitely lost two games, maybe three games, in 2015. Not the players. Bad Coaching decisions were made. The only coach that was replaced was the D Line coach. The coach of the #8 rush defense, but he could not recruit and the D Line hated him. Historically, this coaching staff is not a proven winner. Their hope is that at Nebraska they can change this perception.

4 new O lineman. Can Tommy Armstrong be protected? If Tommy Armstrong has to scramble, and the coaches tell him that he cannot risk being hurt, Tommy Armstrong will try to make a throw that he should not make. Usually results in a turnover, even worse, a pick six.

Still have Turnover Tommy Armstrong. He can win you games, he can lose you games. Can make terrible decisions in clutch situations. If the coaches allow him to run more instead of making him throw, he can be an effective weapon. I think they are scared of having him hurt because the backups are OH MY GOD. This year, there is a freshman QB though. He looked good in high school, lots of NFL potential, but he is all of 18 years old.

Running Backs are okay.

Receivers are pretty good. The strength of the offense.

Special Teams are pretty good, punting is excellent, FG kicking is pretty good. If Pierson El can come back and be the player he was two years ago as a punt return threat, maybe. Two excellent freshman could also make this punt return team a good weapon. ALL the special teams players were recruited by the previous staff. Except for the two incoming freshman.

Offense will score points. High powered.

DEFENSE (caveat I don't like Mark Banker the Defensive Coordinator)

Completely new defensive line. Can they stop the run? Can they pressure the QB? OK, not totally new, three of them have played.

Linebackers did not play well last year, and it is the same bunch. The linebacker play was better than in 2014 though. (Let that one sink in) Could not cover medium fast to fast backs, could not pressure the QB. I think Weber is the best linebacker, he sits on the bench. If Michael Rose Ivey can play injury free, he is good, BIG IF. Josh Banderas has not lived up to his billing. When he was hurt and Weber replaced him, I saw better play.

Defensive Backfield. Pass Defense was atrocious last year, mostly because the QB had all day and all week to throw the ball. I think the Defensive backs are the strength of the team this year, last year it was D Line. All four DB starters have playing experience and should play well. But if the six or seven guys up front can't do anything it won't matter, the QB will pick them apart again.

Possible All Americans and NFL Draft Picks
Jordan Westerkamp receiver
Sam Foltz punter
Nate Gerry safety

I see nine wins as the MAX Nebraska can have.

Great post. I don't think of Nebraska being a 5-7 team though. They lost around 4 games on the last play of the game (or close to it). They could have easily been 9-3.

I agree with what you said about Armstrong. I like watching him. He made some great plays, but he also cost them games too. If Armstrong has great connection with Westerkamp, it is amazing to watch.

Rose Ivey is a beast. He dominated Iowa 2 seasons ago.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This needs to be addressed by Lovie and his staff:
2017 Top Illinois Football Recruits

Lovie is going to need to do a better job of keeping Illinois kids in-state. Illinois is a top-notch university, generally considered #3 or #4 academically in the B1G (Northwestern #1, Michigan #2, and Illinois & Wisconsin running neck & neck). One would think that Illinois parents should really want their kids to attend the University of Illinois.
America's Top Colleges

I realize Lovie is a new arrival in Champaign, but he will need to step-up his recruiting, especially with in-state kids.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big Ten East:

Big Ten West:

Big Ten Championship:
Ohio State over Nebraska

So what you are saying, is that you honestly believe the Big 10 Champ will have 3 losses this year?

@HammerDown

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I predict that the B1G goes winless in OoC scheduling.

I mean, have you SEEN that grueling schedule? :eek: