• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

USMNT vs Jamaca

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't see a thread for this game anywhere. Herk just put in a goal off a set piece. Totally misplayed by the keeper. US up 1-0 without Donavan or Bradley

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USA Victory! Take control of the group for now. At Antiga and Barbuda and then a home game with Guatemala to finish up group play. Should go at least 1-0-1 and win the group

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm not all that big on the USMNT, but after watching last night's match I can openly say this team sucks so badly its probably not even worth watching. They're playing even matches with some of the worst teams in the world.....and seem to be regressing. There are no very good players on the horizon, so it won't get better for a while.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not all that big on the USMNT, but after watching last night's match I can openly say this team sucks so badly its probably not even worth watching. They're playing even matches with some of the worst teams in the world.....and seem to be regressing. There are no very good players on the horizon, so it won't get better for a while.

The team is definitely going through some growing pains, and US soccer doesn't have as bright an outlook as it did a couple years ago. Last night we were missing 2 of our top field 3 players (not counting Howard) and Deuce is still not at full form. Hopefully some of the young guys like Brek Shea and pan out, Altidore is still young, but you're right, assuming we make the WC in 2014, I would be shocked if we make it out of group play regardless of our draw.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a Soccer forum???

apachef4

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep, definite regression. It's not like we have a fairly new coach that is instituting a completely different style of play. Hell, we couldn't even beat Italy for the first time ever (in Italy), or beat Mexico in Mexico for the first time ever this year. I don't know why they don't just disband the team.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, definite regression. It's not like we have a fairly new coach that is instituting a completely different style of play. Hell, we couldn't even beat Italy for the first time ever (in Italy), or beat Mexico in Mexico for the first time ever this year. I don't know why they don't just disband the team.

Ha...I almost missed the sarcasm, I must be tired. Anyway, I tend to agree. There might not be as much hype as past teams, but I think this squad has shown steady growth and improvement. There's been some hiccups, but to say that last night was even just because it was a one goal game means you didn't watch it. We could have easily won 3-0 or 4-0 and completely dominated the possession.

apachef4

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha...I almost missed the sarcasm, I must be tired. Anyway, I tend to agree. There might not be as much hype as past teams, but I think this squad has shown steady growth and improvement. There's been some hiccups, but to say that last night was even just because it was a one goal game means you didn't watch it. We could have easily won 3-0 or 4-0 and completely dominated the possession.

Agreed. I don't want to come off as saying this team is great...it's not. As good as they looked in this game (despite only the one goal), they apparently looked like shit on Friday night (not that I would know, since I don't get the new Al Jazeera sports network that owns the rights to all of our WC Qualifying road games). But overall I think they are heading in the right direction and have some interesting young talent up-and-coming.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
New coach? He's been there for well over a year. The "new formation" thing can be used for a few matches, but we're so far past that. If your squad can't get it together in 15 months you have bigger problems than your coach.

Any team can beat any other team on any given day - and this goes tenfold for friendlies - so wins over Mexico and Italy are nice but hardly huge. Meanwhile they're playing sloppy, ugly soccer and are largely hopeless out there when I do see them play. I didn't see those winning matches, I don't mean to write them off, but from everything I've seen I'd have to guess there was more than a bit of fortune, and probably understrength opposing squads - to those wins.

Young talent? Cameron is the best prospect, and he's a solid mid-table defender if he turns out. Bradley is probably the best player on the team, and is still fairly young. But that's it. Altidore is playing well in a D-grade league and Brek Shea doesn't show more than flashes. Compare this to the young talent on the real teams - even France, for example, has dozens of youngsters that would be the single best player on the US team. Put this into perspective and realize the best prospects on this team aren't all that much in the grand scheme.

Last edited by a moderator:

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ha, and as I look, Cameron is 27 years old.....figured he had to be a bit younger than that. So even he should basically be entering his prime.....though its a good bet he'll improve pretty well as he grows into the EPL. The youth is extremely lacking for the US.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha, and as I look, Cameron is 27 years old.....figured he had to be a bit younger than that. So even he should basically be entering his prime.....though its a good bet he'll improve pretty well as he grows into the EPL. The youth is extremely lacking for the US.

Easily the biggest problem we're facing now.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yup, just can't seem to get anything going. I mean, I was watching that match where Agudelo made his debut and a few very nice plays, and was pretty excited.....but he's never matched it since as far as I know. Like the rest of the team, plenty of flashes, but not enough sustained quality.

apachef4

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are 7-2-2 this year, with some pretty good wins mixed in there. Yes, most of those are friendlies, but they can't be in international tournaments when there aren't any going on. They've played the games they could and have done pretty well. They are changing their entire style of play, from the youth divisions on up, and that takes time. A year is hardly long enough to judge it a success or failure, though the results have been very positive, with the only losses this year being a thrashing by Brazil and a bad loss at Jamaica. It is not like these guys are together all year long, practicing together and perfecting their teamwork. They come together for a week here and there to play these international games.

And Altidore plays in the top Dutch division. Hardly a D-level league.

apachef4

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for the talent on the elite soccer nations teams, I agree completely. The US is not those teams, though. We are a 2nd tier soccer country. Maybe one day that will be different, maybe not, but it's not realistic to expect us to be on the level of the top countries right now(yes, even France). We can compete with anyone in a given game as you said, but we won't be winning the World Cup any time soon.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
OK, I think we're coming at this from different directions. But if you look at the big picture, there are more tiers, and the US is even lower. That's why I used France as an example of a mid-range team right now - historically great, but now below the Spain/Brazil/Germany elite or even Dutch/Argentina/Italy levels. That's why its disappointing...US is playing with the Irelands or Swiss at this point. Can't just conjure good players, but I can't imagine why even this group can't play better.

And along the same lines, referring to Altidore and "d-grade".....to defend my nonsense comment I'd say it goes something like EPL/La Liga as the top leagues, Germany/Italy below that, France/Portugal/Russia below that, then Eredivision/Ukraine/Belgium/Scotland. It could be argued, La Liga in danger of falling to 2nd tier because its so ridiculous, and Russia maybe a surprise but look at all the good players there these days.

ugafan6612

Oh I really like boobs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
o fuck I leave for one day and people post here...

ugafan6612

Oh I really like boobs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good god man just be happy for the win. It's obvious these guys lack talent and skill. We haven't had any amazing young players in awhile which has been the biggest problem for the last 5 or so years.
All in all, Jurgen has done a decent job with this team in the time he's had to work with. He at least has the ability to improve this team, something Bradley never was going to do.

Last edited by a moderator: