• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

USGA Exemption for Goosen

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Retief Goosen has just received a special exemption for this years U.S. Open.

His 10 year exemption expired after 2014...

Not really sure how he got one.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Retief Goosen has just received a special exemption for this years U.S. Open.

His 10 year exemption expired after 2014...

Not really sure how he got one.

A handful of former USO champions have been granted a special exemption if memory serves...he's playing halfway decent of late so it makes sense I guess. I would be a little pissed if I were Ernie and had to qualify though. Maybe he's already in the field.

edited to note...Ernie Els is already in the field.

Last edited:

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A handful of former USO champions have been granted a special exemption if memory serves...he's playing halfway decent of late so it makes sense I guess. I would be a little pissed if I were Ernie and had to qualify though. Maybe he's already in the field.

edited to note...Ernie Els is already in the field.

Yes for 10 years and once it expires then they shouldn't imo

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes for 10 years and once it expires then they shouldn't imo

It is our national open...no free passes would sit quite well with me too, but they're not setting any precedents here...been done before.

I'd doubt we'll see it for even a HOF lock player that's never won it...say Phil.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is our national open...no free passes would sit quite well with me too, but they're not setting any precedents here...been done before.

I'd doubt we'll see it for even a HOF lock player that's never won it...say Phil.

Yeah i get that but I mean you already have it for 10 years for crying out loud

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah i get that but I mean you already have it for 10 years for crying out loud

A decade is a long time to have a free ride entry...the Masters really need to reel their exemption in.

Since Goosen is not really breaking new ground, essentially going forward you'd like to see all exemptions eliminated for the USO.

That works for me as well.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A decade is a long time to have a free ride entry...the Masters really need to reel their exemption in.

Since Goosen is not really breaking new ground, essentially going forward you'd like to see all exemptions eliminated for the USO.

That works for me as well.

I guess he found a loop-hole

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess he found a loop-hole

Not really.

Got in via line item #15 on the exemption list.

Goosen most likely just answered the phone and said yes.

THE USO has always had line item 15, but rarely use it...one thing I think the they have started to realize...even though it's the national golf open...they are still in the entertainment biz.

They still like the moniker..."defender of par" and Oakmont will do a fine job of that...but they have soften a bit....they still fertilize and water the rough ahead of the event, but we see less "tricked up" courses now.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really.

Got in via line item #15 on the exemption list.

Goosen most likely just answered the phone and said yes.

THE USO has always had line item 15, but rarely use it...one thing I think the they have started to realize...even though it's the national golf open...they are still in the entertainment biz.

They still like the moniker..."defender of par" and Oakmont will do a fine job of that...but they have soften a bit....they still fertilize and water the rough ahead of the event, but we see less "tricked up" courses now.

true there ultimate goal is to make money.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
true there ultimate goal is to make money.

Yep...but you raise an interesting point.

The USGA is a governing body...the primary mission is supposed to be to grow the game of golf in North America and Mexico/Latin America...I wonder if they are a for profit operation.

The Mens USO is a huge money maker for the them, but they have so many more tournaments that probably don't make much at all....the USWO probably holds its own, but the US Am, US Jr Am, US mid Am, etc. don't seem like big profit makers.

Where they do seem to rake it in is TV...the new TV deal with Fox pays $1.2b over 12 yrs. I'm sure they have several other revenue streams, but they have membership...so they brings in cash too.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep...but you raise an interesting point.

The USGA is a governing body...the primary mission is supposed to be to grow the game of golf in North America and Mexico/Latin America...I wonder if they are a for profit operation.

The Mens USO is a huge money maker for the them, but they have so many more tournaments that probably don't make much at all....the USWO probably holds its own, but the US Am, US Jr Am, US mid Am, etc. don't seem like big profit makers.

Where they do seem to rake it in is TV...the new TV deal with Fox pays $1.2b over 12 yrs. I'm sure they have several other revenue streams, but they have membership...so they brings in cash too.

They are just like Politicians. They say one thing to get elected (win viewers in PGA terms) and then their actions do something completely different

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's got that lifetime exemption though.