• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

USA vs. Costa Rica WC Qualifier

ugafan6612

Oh I really like boobs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USMNT roster announced for USA vs. Mexico, Costa Rica - SBNation.com
March 22nd 10 PM ET on ESPN
The Tim Howard injury is huge but Guzan is having a stellar season with Aston Villa so he should be able to keep us in the game.
Roster
U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION (World Cup qualifying Caps/Goals)

GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa - 5/3 SO), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire - 0/0), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake - 0/0)

DEFENDERS (6): Tony Beltran (Real Salt Lake - 0/0), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City - 0/0), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City - 6/0), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy - 1/0), Clarence Goodson (Brondby - 5/0), Justin Morrow (San Jose Earthquakes - 0/0)

MIDFIELDERS (9): DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla - 26/6), Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake - 2/0), Michael Bradley (Roma - 20/5), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana - 1/0), Maurice Edu (Bursaspor - 10/0), Jermaine Jones (Schalke 04 - 6/0), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht - 13/0), Brek Shea (Stoke City - 2/0), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City - 4/0)

FORWARDS (5): Jozy Altidore (AZ Alkmaar - 18/6), Terrence Boyd (Rapid Vienna - 2/0), Clint Dempsey (Tottenham Hotspur - 27/11), Herculez Gomez (Santos - 6/2), Eddie Johnson (Seattle Sounders FC - 12/10)

Here's kind of a cool "set your own lineup" thingy on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/officialussoccer
3420_10151493787783941_59000982_n.jpg

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yikes. This roster may be even scarier on paper than it is on the field.

ugafan6612

Oh I really like boobs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's inevitable we get owned by Mexico. We really need a win Friday though to be in good hands

antone112

who gives a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,290.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Creativity has to be better. Quit laying back the entire game. Best defense is a threatening offense.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Apparently there is trouble within the US team, and if this article is at all honest lots of them are talking anonymously.

Friendly fire: U.S. coach Jurgen Klinsmann?s methods, leadership, acumen in question - SOCCER - Sporting News

Reading this, they seem to be ignoring one major issue - the players just aren't that good. All this stuff about Klinsmann's tactics, or players "inexperienced in the Hex" is such nonsense. Sounds to me like players making excuses. Who cares if some recent additions haven't played in WC qualifiers before, not like there are different rules in that tournament than other matches. Klinsmann is trying to find some, any combination that can help, and to me his changes and additions to the squad have made sense. They complain about "too much time spent on fitness", and guarantee if they spent more time on practice rather than fitness the complaints would be reversed.

Like other teams having problems, the players here want to point at the coach rather than themselves. Seems to me the same thing happened to Bradley. What a joke. This team is just not talented enough to compete, anyone mildly familiar with world football knows there are hardly any good players here.

ugafan6612

Oh I really like boobs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently there is trouble within the US team, and if this article is at all honest lots of them are talking anonymously.

Friendly fire: U.S. coach Jurgen Klinsmann?s methods, leadership, acumen in question - SOCCER - Sporting News

Reading this, they seem to be ignoring one major issue - the players just aren't that good. All this stuff about Klinsmann's tactics, or players "inexperienced in the Hex" is such nonsense. Sounds to me like players making excuses. Who cares if some recent additions haven't played in WC qualifiers before, not like there are different rules in that tournament than other matches. Klinsmann is trying to find some, any combination that can help, and to me his changes and additions to the squad have made sense. They complain about "too much time spent on fitness", and guarantee if they spent more time on practice rather than fitness the complaints would be reversed.

Like other teams having problems, the players here want to point at the coach rather than themselves. Seems to me the same thing happened to Bradley. What a joke. This team is just not talented enough to compete, anyone mildly familiar with world football knows there are hardly any good players here.

Well said, if they get rid of Klinsmann too soon I'm gonna be pissed. People just have to accept that it will be awhile before good young talent shows up on this team again. Klinsmann has the ability to keep these guys competitive enough to at least compete for qualifying for the WC every 4 years and that's about what I expected with our best guys getting older.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ding ding ding

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Space is right - that is one FUGLY roster. Even if Landon were on that team, that's still one ugly roster.

The U.S. just may not be that elite soccer nation for a LONG TIME. I like the ideas with the soccer camps and youth academies along with letting their high schoolers play (and get schooled) by youth academies around the world.

Klinnsman is not the problem here - he's a solid coach but he doesn't have the tools to get this done. The U.S. seems to have a consistent crop of keepers but where they really lack is a strong defense and having solid central midfielders. They always seem to have speedy guys that can wreak havoc on opposing defenses but that never seems to matter if you don't have guys in the central areas that can make that exquisite pass to spring them loose.

If you look at other countries with dynamic central midfielders (Cesc/Xavi/Iniesta for Spain, Lampard/Gerrard for England, Schweinsteiger of Germany, Pirlo and Gattuso of Italy back in the day, Modric of Croatia, etc) - there aren't many of them, but the U.S. definitely doesn't have a player with that kind of creativity. Pele once said of English football players "They play with square feet" - that's how the U.S. plays. Getting the foundation helps, but their academies really need to teach these kids to have them go the extra mile - case in point: La Masia for FC Barca and Johan Cruyff.

It was even featured in 60 Minutes:

Soccer academy "La Masia:" A model for the U.S.? - 60 Minutes Overtime - CBS News

apachef4

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:usa2:

Don't like to hear the negative comments coming from inside the team. It's time to play, not time to complain. They've played ONE of TEN games in the Hex, not time for the players to panic. Get out there and get this thing done!

Smoke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fatguygif_zps022a378a.gif

ugafan6612

Oh I really like boobs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't even tell who anybody is

ugafan6612

Oh I really like boobs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course we play D throughout the rest of the game because that's what the USA is all about :L
Hopefully we hold on to this

ugafan6612

Oh I really like boobs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At best we could tie Mexico next...

ugafan6612

Oh I really like boobs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
U.S. 'snow-verturns' Costa Rica - ESPN FC
Grades via espnfc
G: Brad Guzan, 6.5 -- Solid in all respects in the first half but sent U.S. hearts a-fluttering by fanning on a cross early in the second. There were no complaints about his handling, especially under the difficult conditions.

D: DaMarcus Beasley, 7 -- Not bad for a guy playing his first World Cup qualifier in over three years. Beasley defended capably, including a vital recovery run late in the first half. He got forward to good effect as well.

D: Clarence Goodson, 8 -- An immense performance in all phases whether it was in the air, on the ground, or with the ball at his feet. Completely justified the faith put in him by Klinsmann.

D: Omar Gonzalez, 7 -- Looked a little tentative in playing the ball forward but showed an immense improvement overall compared to last month's game against Honduras. He provided a vital block of a Bryan Ruiz shot in the first half and he was his usual dominant self in the air throughout.

D: Geoff Cameron, 3.5 -- The weakest link by far. He defended decently enough at times but took far too many risks when in possession, also conceding some dangerous fouls close to goal.

M: Jermaine Jones, 5 -- When he simplified his game, he was solid. When he didn't, his passes failed to find their mark. Should have been booked -- or worse -- for a silly elbow to Ruiz's face midway through the second half.

M: Michael Bradley, 7 -- Settled into a dedicated holding role early and helped the U.S. attack find a semblance of rhythm -- not exactly easy in the snow.

M: Graham Zusi, 5 -- Seemed to struggle to make a consistent impact on the game but perked up in the second half when his crosses began to find their intended target.

M: Clint Dempsey, 7 -- Did what a captain does and stepped up when it mattered. His optimistic run on Altidore's deflected shot led to the goal while he was also a steady threat playing in an attacking midfield role.

M: Herculez Gomez, 6.5 -- Put in a solid shift on the left wing, keeping possession well. Also provided some crucial defensive help to Beasley.

F: Jozy Altidore, 6.5 -- Played the target man role well, using his physical prowess to great effect. His aggressive mindset also helped create the goal, a neat contract to his deft hold-up play. Would have been more effective if he had gotten even a sliver of help from the referee.

Subs:
M: Eddie Johnson, 5 -- Had a few decent touches in the attacking half only to be stymied by the conditions.

M: Maurice Edu, 6 -- Provided some badly needed fresh legs for the U.S. midfield late on.

M: Kyle Beckerman, NR -- Brief cameo for the Real Salt Lake midfielder.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't watch the game because I'm not much of a fan of the sport, but I did see the highlights. I think soccer should become a Winter sport. That was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

The Costa Ricans can eat shit. Soccer is a BEAUTIFUL GAME in a snowstorm.