• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

US team rockets up to #13 in world rankings

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
U.S. Men?s National Team up six spots to No. 13 in FIFA World Rankings | ProSoccerTalk

The FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking - Ranking Table - FIFA.com

Pretty incredible. You can't argue with winning 12 of 13, or 13 of 14.....or whatever it is. I wouldn't have guessed they were ranked this high in 2010 as well, but its a great achievement.

All that said, its pretty laughable that they're ranked ahead of some of these teams. The recent results demand it, but quality-wise its hard to justify. They haven't played a real quality opponent in a long time (Bosnia and Germany friendlies weren't full-strength teams). Even a struggling England or France team is far superior to this US team.....I think France's 2nd 11 might be better than the US. Regardless, impressive stuff for this team.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weren't we ranked 4th before the 2006 World Cup? Then we went home after round 1.

Since then they changed how the rankings are done, but the rankings are largely meaningless. No perfect formula, no accounting for which players are playing, etc...

Going up means you've been winning, which is the only positive thing to take from rankings.

xpuctaqpGT

Modern Major General
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny how things change over time. For many many years, USA was unable to even qualify in CONCACAF. Now it almost feels like CONCACAF is holding us back by not providing enough competition.

We went to the cup in 1950, and didn't go back again until 1990. Our fellow CONCACAF teams were kicking our asses during that time frame. That all changed when we got to host the 1994 Cup. We set attendance records in that cup that still haven't been broken despite the fact that the cup has expanded from 52 to 64 games. We averaged 68k fans per game. The highest average since then was 52k fans in the 2006 cup in Germany. And with all those ticket sales and sponsorship deals....we made money. Like a lot of money.

And with everything else, talent follows the money. Better practice facilities. Better coaches. More young athletes choosing soccer instead of other potential sports. Soccer academies to develop young talent. And it has started to pay off. I think the US can sustain being a top 25 world power in soccer indefinitely now. We have a large population base and we have the money. It's nice to be constantly in the hunt!

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny how things change over time. For many many years, USA was unable to even qualify in CONCACAF. Now it almost feels like CONCACAF is holding us back by not providing enough competition.

We went to the cup in 1950, and didn't go back again until 1990. Our fellow CONCACAF teams were kicking our asses during that time frame. That all changed when we got to host the 1994 Cup. We set attendance records in that cup that still haven't been broken despite the fact that the cup has expanded from 52 to 64 games. We averaged 68k fans per game. The highest average since then was 52k fans in the 2006 cup in Germany. And with all those ticket sales and sponsorship deals....we made money. Like a lot of money.

And with everything else, talent follows the money. Better practice facilities. Better coaches. More young athletes choosing soccer instead of other potential sports. Soccer academies to develop young talent. And it has started to pay off. I think the US can sustain being a top 25 world power in soccer indefinitely now. We have a large population base and we have the money. It's nice to be constantly in the hunt!

The fact we now have a highly competitive domestic league is also contributing greatly I think. The MLS continues to expand and has improved in quality year after year. It's still nowhere near the level of the top tier leagues but outside of Europe it is the highest drawing league. It's still expanding and even if the guys coming from Europe are past their prime it's still notoriety.

If the New York expansion franchise catches on and becomes a trendy thing in New York expect soccer to get even more popular than it already is in this country. New York is the advertising and media capital of the US. All it takes is a handful of the right people there to get on board and it will do wonders for the sport.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Weren't we ranked 4th before the 2006 World Cup?

Not that I doubted you....but I had to check that for myself to really believe it. Damn. Agree with the rest of your post.

xpuctaqpGT

Modern Major General
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that I doubted you....but I had to check that for myself to really believe it. Damn. Agree with the rest of your post.

While the 2006 Cup was a distinct disappointment, it wasn't 100% bad.

I was in Germany and actually AT all of the US matches.

The first game against the Czechs was horrid. They completely out played us.

The 2nd game against Italy was fantastic. Italy eventually won the cup. The US was the only team that managed to not lose to them. They beat everyone else, but only managed a draw against us. For the most of the match, we out played them, out hustled them.

The final match vs. Ghana. Ghana flopped the whole flipping game, and the Ref fell for it. After the cup was over, that Referee permanently retired....probably from the embarrassment.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The US being ranked fourth and their subsequent shitting of the bed in Germany was the main reason for the change in the ranking system. At one point there was even talk of seeding them. Crazy.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yet the fucktards that make up FIFA think a World Cup in 120 degree heat in Qatar is a better idea than the US. No bias there.

As the US team gets better we'll also see higher level players with dual citizenship start to choose the US, especially if Mexico continues their down slide. We've already seen it with guys like Johansson, Jones, Chandler, and a bunch of hispanics.

Last edited by a moderator:

xpuctaqpGT

Modern Major General
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet the fucktards that make up FIFA think a World Cup in 120 degree heat in Qatar is a better idea than the US. No bias there.

Qatar hosting a cup is just a disgrace. No way in hell I'm going to that cup. And I bet many many others come to the same conclusion. How bad is it going to look when nobody shows up to any of the matches?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 2032.... when the NFL is full blown decline.... U.S. Soccer will be dangerous.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While the 2006 Cup was a distinct disappointment, it wasn't 100% bad.

I was in Germany and actually AT all of the US matches.

The first game against the Czechs was horrid. They completely out played us.

The 2nd game against Italy was fantastic. Italy eventually won the cup. The US was the only team that managed to not lose to them. They beat everyone else, but only managed a draw against us. For the most of the match, we out played them, out hustled them.

The final match vs. Ghana. Ghana flopped the whole flipping game, and the Ref fell for it. After the cup was over, that Referee permanently retired....probably from the embarrassment.

The Italy game was definitely their best showing. But remember that Italy had an own goal. Without that we lose.

ugafan6612

Oh I really like boobs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's cool. Those rankings are all out of whack though anyways outside the majority of the top 10

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
U.S. Men?s National Team up six spots to No. 13 in FIFA World Rankings | ProSoccerTalk

The FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking - Ranking Table - FIFA.com

Pretty incredible. You can't argue with winning 12 of 13, or 13 of 14.....or whatever it is. I wouldn't have guessed they were ranked this high in 2010 as well, but its a great achievement.

All that said, its pretty laughable that they're ranked ahead of some of these teams. The recent results demand it, but quality-wise its hard to justify. They haven't played a real quality opponent in a long time (Bosnia and Germany friendlies weren't full-strength teams). Even a struggling England or France team is far superior to this US team.....I think France's 2nd 11 might be better than the US. Regardless, impressive stuff for this team.

The rankings are based on what have you done for me lately and France isn't doing shit. They must be doing pretty bad if Mexico is still ranked ahead of them.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As the US team gets better we'll also see higher level players with dual citizenship start to choose the US, especially if Mexico continues their down slide. We've already seen it with guys like Johansson, Jones, Chandler, and a bunch of hispanics.

I don't think they thought it was better, Qatar just paid more in bribes. There is no other way they could have won the votes if they didn't buy out voters.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if we can stay healthy and get a little luck at the draw, we should be good enough to make the final 16.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if we can stay healthy and get a little luck at the draw, we should be good enough to make the final 16.

If we can get luck with the draw, specifically in the 2nd round, we should make it to the quarters. Honestly with the way this team has been playing anything less would be disappointing.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we can get luck with the draw, specifically in the 2nd round, we should make it to the quarters. Honestly with the way this team has been playing anything less would be disappointing.

The biggest difference I see with this team is they are scoring goals in the run of play. In years past they seemed to only score off set pieces due to being bigger and stronger, but never scored in the run of play due to lack of creativity. Now they are creating through the midfield and aren't lacking ideas in the final third. This is something that could boost this team in brazil.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can't be mad at this team if they face off with a Spain, Brazil, Germany, Argentina, Italy or etc and lose a tough round of 16 match. Losing to a team like Ghana or Japan would piss me off

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That right there is what makes a huge difference.

The U.S. was involved in the group of death in 2006 and that along with Ghana flopping and the lack of superior talent led the U.S. knockout in the group stages.

Also, in regards to rankings, you guys made all the right points. Additionally, that 2006 U.S. team was ranked ahead of some powerhouses such as Portugal, Argentina, and eventual title holders Italy. Rankings really don't mean a whole lot here as opposed to other sports. Heck, as someone with Spanish ancestry and follows La Roja hard core, I wouldn't rank Spain ahead of Germany. I really believe with the way things are right now that Germany and Brazil could match up in a repeat of the 2002 World Cup final. Germany is that good and they are stacked. They had some unfortunate run - ins with Spain with both the WC in 2010 and the Euro match in 2008 along with a tough loss to Italy on the hottest player in the Euro 2012 tourney in Balotelli. However, Germany is that good and I wouldn't be surprised seeing them win WC 2014 - they are the most complete team in the tourney.

For this season, I could see the U.S. ranking in the top 15 although the one variable there is England at 17. I know the U.S. played them pretty tight in the 2010 WC match, but England could feature Walcott, Oxlade - Chamberlain, Wilshire, Stturidge, Welbeck, and Rooney in the next WC. One could argue that England has more attacking options than the U.S although their backline could be exposed. However, I really like Joe Hart back there between the pipes.

NewcastleKEG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USA plays no one, thus the FIFA ranking means nothing. The USA team would most likely not qualify for the World Cup if stationed in UEFA or South America.