• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Understanding the new BCS... The CFP

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My big question is, Why in the world doesn't the Fiesta Bowl sign somebody up so they don't end up having to take the highest ranking middie every other year? What's up with that?

Due to the wording of the Orange Bowl contract, the Orange will only have to possibly take a middie every 2 out of 6 years and that's IF Notre Dame isn't eligible.

The Peach is going to want ACC vs. SEC or Big 10 and the Cotton is going to want SEC vs. Big 12. So that kind of leaves the Fiesta with the Pac #2 vs. Highest ranking middie by default. Or does it?

I don't get why the Fiesta Bowl doesn't sign up the Pac #2 team at least. Heck, they might as well go with Pac #2 vs. MWC #1 or a Big 12 team. Or the Pac needs to dial them up and offer them their #2 team so the Pac will have two guaranteed major bowl slots. Puzzling.

Last edited by a moderator:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In at least on teams eyes it will always seem to be needed. Too subjective.

I know you and I pretty much feel the same about how the season should end. But I am starting to feel more optimistic. Maybe because we are a little over a year from the first CFP. Cant avoid the inevitable and I love CFB. So I am adopting what we have coming with open arms. Gonna give it a go and support it 100%.

As long as it doesn't kill the regular season I'm happy.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gene, I could see the Cotton picking a Big12 vs PAC matchup often as well.

PAC used to occasionally play in the Cotton Bowl.

But Fiesta is more likely, depending however on how the selection process is done.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gene, I could see the Cotton picking a Big12 vs PAC matchup often as well.

PAC used to occasionally play in the Cotton Bowl.

But Fiesta is more likely, depending however on how the selection process is done.

I'm just surprised that your very good Commish hasn't closed the deal on getting the Pac another guaranteed major bowl bid is all. It's there for the taking. It is 20 million more guaranteed dollars.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just surprised that your very good Commish hasn't closed the deal on getting the Pac another guaranteed major bowl bid is all. It's there for the taking. It is 20 million more guaranteed dollars.

Apparently Commish Scott tried. But being steadfast on no more than 12 teams was his ultimate doom in the argument. Whereas the SEC, B1G, and ACC continue to grow and don't frown upon potential new additions.

If Texas or Oklahoma were to join, which they most likely wont since they already said no, we would probably be looking at a restructure on number of teams the PAC gets an auto bid for.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In other words, they are tabling the issue for now and will get back with us later.

If the committee mirrors the NCAA BB tourney selection committee that sounds like a good thing to me. But I think they need many more than 12-18 members in order to keep it fair.

I am guessing they are going to pick one person to represent each conference. I don't think that's enough people. I would much prefer a large committee where any bias could more easily get choked out during the voting.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently Commish Scott tried. But being steadfast on no more than 12 teams was his ultimate doom in the argument. Whereas the SEC, B1G, and ACC continue to grow and don't frown upon potential new additions.

If Texas or Oklahoma were to join, which they most likely wont since they already said no, we would probably be looking at a restructure on number of teams the PAC gets an auto bid for.

Hmmm. I didn't think that was an issue. I guess it is.