• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Underdog vs. Respect

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The weekly meaningless Power Rankings are out across the various sports media sites. I never get too wrapped up in Power Rankings during a season. For me, the best Power Rankings are the standings. However, it's interesting to note the meteoric rise in the Broncos after their victory in Cincinnati.

Personally, I think the Broncos have played their best ball when they've been in an underdog role. Frankly, I'm not worried about media rankings having any impact at all on our team but it's been way more gratifying as a fan to have them fly under the radar and outperform national expectations. This goes back to all of the 2015 season as well.

Now that Siemian has shown the ability to be a very good quarterback (albeit only 1 great game), our opponents are going to really start to break down his tendencies. Listening to the radio on the way into work this morning, there was some chatter about his heavy preference in throwing to the left side of the field and that may be an area that gets attacked from opposing defenses. Additionally, he was only blitzed 12% of the time and that may also change as the season progresses. There is no doubt that respect for what the Broncos offense can do has gone up a few notches.

I say just keep playing with that chip on your shoulders all season long and we'll see what unfolds!

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Week 3 rankings:

CBS: 2
ESPN: 1
SI: 2
FOX: 2
NFL: 2

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Power Rankings are fun to read just to see how they justify certain decisions. I would hate to put on out there because I"m sure everybody would pick mine apart too so kudos to those who do. The problem for these national media cites is that they are being asked to understand 32 teams and how they are playing. The reason people thought the Broncos would fall apart this year is because of losing Manning and a couple of other key players. Most of them never spent a day out at Camp actually watching these guys play though. They would have seen that our defense is just as aggressive as ever and that our OL has greatly improved. They would have also seen Siemian actually impressing some of the days at camp. But because they were not there all they could see is we lost a HOF QB and replaced him with a 7th round guy that didn't do that great in college. So to them it becomes an easy "hey the Broncos are going to fall off finally this year." And they can look at the Raiders moves and say "look at all these big name players they brought in they must have a huge jump from the years past." Instead of actually going to practice and seeing that the offense was dominating that new found defense and that they were struggling to win one-on-one battles and that communication was really struggling. They look at the names on the jerseys not what is actually happening.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Power Rankings are fun to read just to see how they justify certain decisions. I would hate to put on out there because I"m sure everybody would pick mine apart too so kudos to those who do. The problem for these national media cites is that they are being asked to understand 32 teams and how they are playing. The reason people thought the Broncos would fall apart this year is because of losing Manning and a couple of other key players. Most of them never spent a day out at Camp actually watching these guys play though. They would have seen that our defense is just as aggressive as ever and that our OL has greatly improved. They would have also seen Siemian actually impressing some of the days at camp. But because they were not there all they could see is we lost a HOF QB and replaced him with a 7th round guy that didn't do that great in college. So to them it becomes an easy "hey the Broncos are going to fall off finally this year." And they can look at the Raiders moves and say "look at all these big name players they brought in they must have a huge jump from the years past." Instead of actually going to practice and seeing that the offense was dominating that new found defense and that they were struggling to win one-on-one battles and that communication was really struggling. They look at the names on the jerseys not what is actually happening.

I agree with every word you posted. For those of us that follow the Broncos closely, it was clear that the national perspective on the Broncos was faulty from the get-go. However, I still prefer the under the radar status but when you're winning, it's hard to hide.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last Sunday night, Deion Sanders did not even have TS in this top 5 prime time players. Oh well.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with every word you posted. For those of us that follow the Broncos closely, it was clear that the national perspective on the Broncos was faulty from the get-go. However, I still prefer the under the radar status but when you're winning, it's hard to hide.

Especially when you are winning after winning the Super Bowl. It was kind of nice to have that underrated title to start out the year. We were underdogs in 2 of the 3 games and I do think the players feed off that a lot. I honestly think they look for somebody to speak negatively about them. They watch for those national media guys to keep picking against them every week. I think 2 of my favorites from last year were MJD and Dave Damashek. MJD went on the NFL Network and after Peyton went down with injury said the Broncos wouldn't win another game the rest of the season. So then we win I think our next 3 and every week he would go "I don't know how they keep doing it." Now this year he wised up and said I'm not going to underestimate this team again. Dave Damashek though every single year picks against the Broncos. I'm not sure if his Pittsburgh love fest has made it where he can't stand the Broncos for some reason or what but he can't wait to speak ill of the Broncos. Honestly not sure why he is on tv talking about football. I know he has a big personality but it is pretty obvious and he has been called out by his fellow workers for his lack of understanding how this game works.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last Sunday night, Deion Sanders did not even have TS in this top 5 prime time players. Oh well.

I remember when Manning threw for 7 touchdowns against the Ravens that he didn't have Manning as his #1 guy if I am remembering right and I just laughed. Which then makes it funny when people come on our board and say the NFL is trying to help the Broncos win by fixing the games. WE are a small tv market that most of the NFL world has tried not to pay much attention to but have been forced to with Tebow followed by Manning. So if there is a year where you would think the league would stop fixing games in our favor it would be this season. We are not loved by those in charge of the NFL.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Super Bowl Champs have been underdogs in all three games this season - and are 3-0 - so much for conventional wisdom.