• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tyrann Mathieu Gets Paid.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to argue with any of that. Mathieu is a great player. Still think the Cards could've gotten him cheaper. Can't hand out an A grade for that, but a C isn't bad. Just an average signing. "Good job, you signed an elite guy you wanted for a bit of overpriced salary. Done and done."
Another team would have paid the same or more if he hit the open market.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somewhat true. If he stays healthy and plays well I would be shocked if they didn't keep him but he does have an injury history and some history of down times so just going to have to wait and see what happens. They have the cap space so if he is even above average I wouldn't be shocked if they kept him. I do think they are hoping that they can actually develop the talent of Stephenson and eventually have him be our LT since he is cheaper and doesn't have the injury history. So far reports from camp have been promising for Stephenson. I know most Chiefs fans were excited to see him go but I do think he is a guy that has all the talent needed just needs to know how to use that great athleticism to his advantage.
I don't even think he has to play a full season to get that option picked up, even 12 games of average would do.

The LT market, much like the QB market, is a bit stuck in that the supply is such that it lends teams toward giving large deals to even very average players; and precedent contracts enable it. You might be able to get away with not having a functional OT, or even both OT's, with a veteran QB, but I find it hard to believe that to be true with green QB's or semi-functioning QB's such as Mark Sanchez and Paxton Lynch which often need to be insulated as much as possible. Having consistent pressure can scar young QB's and all of the sudden an investment in a 1st round QB can be null and void. It's true Okung can be dumped quickly, but I'd be skeptical of his stay in Denver being short until proven otherwise.

Jay Cutler, imo, formed and never really broke several bad habits even now as a pro in Denver. It's rather telling so many teams have avoided or procastinated in starting their rookie QB's in recent years (outside of Oakland who not surprisingly had a good OL actually, at least in pass protection) to start their careers; most of them having subpar O-line play.

As for Stephenson, I am going to say is he's one of the bigger teases I've seen from an OT. Fool's gold if there ever was one. Good swing tackle probably and is paid like that, however. The 2-4 good games he puts up over a full season he'll put up 12 really horrific outings. At some point you have to say he's someone else's problem and find someone else's scrap such as the Ravens' Jah Reid.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't even think he has to play a full season to get that option picked up, even 12 games of average would do.

The LT market, much like the QB market, is a bit stuck in that the supply is such that it lends teams toward giving large deals to even very average players; and precedent contracts enable it. You might be able to get away with not having a functional OT, or even both OT's, with a veteran QB, but I find it hard to believe that to be true with green QB's or semi-functioning QB's such as Mark Sanchez and Paxton Lynch which often need to be insulated as much as possible. Having consistent pressure can scar young QB's and all of the sudden an investment in a 1st round QB can be null and void. It's true Okung can be dumped quickly, but I'd be skeptical of his stay in Denver being short until proven otherwise.

Jay Cutler, imo, formed and never really broke several bad habits even now as a pro in Denver. It's rather telling so many teams have avoided or procastinated in starting their rookie QB's in recent years (outside of Oakland who not surprisingly had a good OL actually, at least in pass protection) to start their careers; most of them having subpar O-line play.

As for Stephenson, I am going to say is he's one of the bigger teases I've seen from an OT. Fool's gold if there ever was one. Good swing tackle probably and is paid like that, however. The 2-4 good games he puts up over a full season he'll put up 12 really horrific outings. At some point you have to say he's someone else's problem and find someone else's scrap such as the Ravens' Jah Reid.

I agree. I do think good chance the Broncos keep Okung and I think they are hoping he does work out as that would mean that the starting 5 OL for this year most likely are the starting 5 for the next few years. In the ZBS getting all the players on the same page is huge in the run game especially. I'm just saying until it happens though that they go ahead an take the option years we will just have to see. He has some red flags that suggest say even starting 12 games could be a bit of a challenge.

As for Stephenson. I'm excited by what I have read but yes have plenty of Chiefs fans where I live that have celebrated his departing to know be prepared for the worst. I am hopeful in the sense that Kubiak everywhere he has gone has taken even no name OL players and helped develop them into Pro Bowl/All Pro levels. So that gives me some hope that his system and his coaching have really made a huge difference in a lot of players that were thrown away by other teams.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cards have heavy injury protection on this deal.

Never question Steve Keim, youngbloods.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  1. Mathieu is simultaneously the best slot CB and safety in the NFL when he's on the field.
  2. He's in the slot over 60% of the time
  3. The guaranteed is related almost certainly to 1 and 2 being in concert with each other- there is not a comparable "safety" that can do what Mathieu does. If anyone is one dimensional, it's Earl Thomas who plays more deep safety than any of the recent safeties to get a payday. Beating Earl's contract by ~1M AAV roughly when adjusting for the rise in the cap is more than reasonable.
  4. Eric Fisher is a LT, even guys coming off of mediocre and injury prone resumes get over 10M AAV's like candy, such as Russell Okung. The vague comparison to a S/NCB is just apples and oranges.

best safety?? I dunno about all that. . .

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
best safety?? I dunno about all that. . .
Ah number of people were talking about him being the second best defensive player behind Watt last season before his injury, just saying...

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cards have heavy injury protection on this deal.

Never question Steve Keim, youngbloods.
They do???:scratch:
That does make it a little better IMO. I mean a young guy with 2 ACLs already in 3 years isn't someone you want to take a huge long term risk on. Hell of a layer though

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the contract: It's basically a two year contract with $21.5 mil guaranteed over those two years.

1. $15.5 million signing bonus, which is not tied to Mathieu passing a physical. That’s more than Vikings safety Harrison Smith’s signing bonus, and more than Seahawks safety Earl Thomas received in fully-guaranteed money at signing.

2. $1 million base salary for 2016, fully guaranteed at signing.

3. $4.75 million base salary for 2017, fully guaranteed at signing.

4. Salary of $5.75 million in 2018, not guaranteed at signing for injury or otherwise. On the first day of the 2018 league year, it becomes fully guaranteed.

5. Roster bonus of $5 million due on the third day of the 2018 league year.

6. Salary of $10.75 million in 2019, $8 million of which becomes fully guaranteed on the first day of the 2018 league year.

7. $10.75 million salary for 2020, not guaranteed.

8. $9.25 million salary for 2021, not guaranteed.

9. $250,000 in annual workout bonuses for 2017 through 2021.

10. $250,000 incentive if named defensive player of the year in 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the contract: It's basically a two year contract with $21.5 mil guaranteed over those two years.

1. $15.5 million signing bonus, which is not tied to Mathieu passing a physical. That’s more than Vikings safety Harrison Smith’s signing bonus, and more than Seahawks safety Earl Thomas received in fully-guaranteed money at signing.

2. $1 million base salary for 2016, fully guaranteed at signing.

3. $4.75 million base salary for 2017, fully guaranteed at signing.

4. Salary of $5.75 million in 2018, not guaranteed at signing for injury or otherwise. On the first day of the 2018 league year, it becomes fully guaranteed.

5. Roster bonus of $5 million due on the third day of the 2018 league year.

6. Salary of $10.75 million in 2019, $8 million of which becomes fully guaranteed on the first day of the 2018 league year.

7. $10.75 million salary for 2020, not guaranteed.

8. $9.25 million salary for 2021, not guaranteed.

9. $250,000 in annual workout bonuses for 2017 through 2021.

10. $250,000 incentive if named defensive player of the year in 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021.

Excellent reporting Mike.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. I believe he was the top rated CB last season. The Cards really play a 3-3-5 or 3-2-6 most of the time. The offense really dictates where Mathieu lines up.
So it appears they don't value stopping the run #1.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Honey Badger is probably my favorite non GB player.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  1. Mathieu is simultaneously the best slot CB and safety in the NFL when he's on the field.
  2. He's in the slot over 60% of the time
  3. The guaranteed is related almost certainly to 1 and 2 being in concert with each other- there is not a comparable "safety" that can do what Mathieu does. If anyone is one dimensional, it's Earl Thomas who plays more deep safety than any of the recent safeties to get a payday. Beating Earl's contract by ~1M AAV roughly when adjusting for the rise in the cap is more than reasonable.
  4. Eric Fisher is a LT, even guys coming off of mediocre and injury prone resumes get over 10M AAV's like candy, such as Russell Okung. The vague comparison to a S/NCB is just apples and oranges.
If you watched the Seahawk's play, you would see Earl often in run support. He is an asset there. A fearless, solid tackler.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it appears they don't value stopping the run #1.

Considering they were #6 verses the run, I think they value stopping it pretty well.

Excellent reporting Mike.

I just copied & pasted the relevant portion of the PFT article on the contract. I was just too lazy to link the source.

Balljim55

Abnormally Average
Hoopla Cash
$ 35,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
Does this mean he can now afford a W in order to spell his last name properly?

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you watched the Seahawk's play, you would see Earl often in run support. He is an asset there. A fearless, solid tackler.
Never said he wasn't. Just saying he plays deep safety significantly more than any of the rest safeties to get a payday excluding Barron- that's a hard fact. That's not a "lol didn't watch problem" that's charting snaps and seeing where Earl actually plays.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the best in the league. Great deal if he stays on the field.

There you go...the risk in this deal is all injury and I would have to assume his $40mil is tied to that....he and Brent Grimes have made me re-think the shorter CB has no place in the NFL...the kid can flat out play.