• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Type of SMokers to buy

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pit Barrel is just another animal all together. You would think with the foot hanging down and sitting within an inch of the hot coals that the bottom would cook faster, but the way it's designed it doesn't. Hang pretty much anything and forget it. Cooks evenly and consistently over the full run. I haven't yet cooked a brisket in it, but I can tell you there is no stall on ribs and chicken is just amazing on it as well as fish. I'm looking to get a brisket on it by the end of the month, but from video's I've seen it should come out incredible with only 6-7 hours cook time and this unit can run 8 hours without adding more coals so it's still set it and forget it for even brisket and pork shoulders.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
00M0M_dwDsyN8HG0Y_600x450.jpg

This is on the local craigs list for $300.
Clean it up with a grinding wheel and wire brush.
Use a couple of cans of high temp engine spray paint.
Will look brand new.
If the cook shelf is burned up, go get some expanded metal cut and poof, brand new smoker.

$5.00 of charcoal and some wood chips will keep you going for 6-8hrs and the temp is easy to control.
Just make sure it's a thick heavy duty steel type and it will last forever.
They look terrible when people don't take care of them, but they never wear out.
I've seen them for a $100 bucks on occasions.

Just an Idea

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pit Barrel is just another animal all together. You would think with the foot hanging down and sitting within an inch of the hot coals that the bottom would cook faster, but the way it's designed it doesn't. Hang pretty much anything and forget it. Cooks evenly and consistently over the full run. I haven't yet cooked a brisket in it, but I can tell you there is no stall on ribs and chicken is just amazing on it as well as fish. I'm looking to get a brisket on it by the end of the month, but from video's I've seen it should come out incredible with only 6-7 hours cook time and this unit can run 8 hours without adding more coals so it's still set it and forget it for even brisket and pork shoulders.

Sounds pretty good. I usually end up smoking a pork shoulder (8lbs or so) for around 13 hours to hit the 190 or so degree internal temp for pulled pork. My Weber settles in right at 250-260 and I usually end up having to add coals and a little water at around the 10 hour mark. I had to basically camp out beside the Brinkman I used to use to keep it at a constant temp til I did some modifications to it and even then it was still a pain in the ass.

This is making me hungry, gonna have to smoke something Sunday me thinks.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds pretty good. I usually end up smoking a pork shoulder (8lbs or so) for around 13 hours to hit the 190 or so degree internal temp for pulled pork. My Weber settles in right at 250-260 and I usually end up having to add coals and a little water at around the 10 hour mark. I had to basically camp out beside the Brinkman I used to use to keep it at a constant temp til I did some modifications to it and even then it was still a pain in the ass.

This is making me hungry, gonna have to smoke something Sunday me thinks.

Crazy thing about these is no water and they still stay at a stable temp and the meat stays juicy. Something about the design, but the need for water to stabilize the temp isn't required on these. I can tell you the lid is air tight and the only holes at the top are where the rebar goes in to hang your meat on. Only hole on the bottom has a piece of metal screwed on that you adjust once for your altitude and then forget it. And yet somehow the temp settles in around 260 (where I have mine set anyway) and stays there for up to 8 hours without any intervention. First half hour or so the temp is much higher, but it always comes down and stays steady.

I was used to having to add coals, add water, change vent's, etc on other units so this one kind of made me scratch my head, but I'll be damned if it doesn't create just crazy good food with no fuss at all.

I understand people are using these in competition bbq now and I can see why.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cooked off some chicken yesterday and 3 racks of baby back ribs today. Both came out great. Took about 4 hours on the ribs, but they were super meaty. One of those sams club/costco 3 packs that are always insanely think.

Ribs came away from the bone cleanly and had minimal shrinkage back from the bone ends so I don't need to tell you guys how freaking juicy they still were. Some of the most juicy I've ever made. And again, this unit holds it's own humidity without a water pan. Just crazy how this thing works.

Seriously looking forward to doing a full brisket on it. Supposed to cook in nearly half the time while still going no more than 250 degrees during the cook.

Attachments

• Ribs1.jpg
    Ribs1.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 61
  • chicken1.jpg
    chicken1.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 28