• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Two Mariners Articles

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Churchill: Fixing the Mariners - Prospect Insider | MLB, Top Prospects, Scouting, Seattle Mariners, MLB Draft

This is from Churchill (not my favorite). I just think he say the obvious like always but first talks about things not being plausible. Enjoy.

Debunking RISP - Prospect Insider | MLB, Top Prospects, Scouting, Seattle Mariners, MLB Draft

The second one is about 'Debunking RISP'. I find it more of a chicken vs egg argument. The article argues RISP is a non-valued stat and is overrated. It talks about OBP being the true needed stat. It talks about more people on base is needed even more when your RISP is bad. But to me you could just as easy say that if you had a better RISP then more base runners isn't as needed. Read and see what you think.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Churchill: Fixing the Mariners - Prospect Insider | MLB, Top Prospects, Scouting, Seattle Mariners, MLB Draft

This is from Churchill (not my favorite). I just think he say the obvious like always but first talks about things not being plausible. Enjoy.

Debunking RISP - Prospect Insider | MLB, Top Prospects, Scouting, Seattle Mariners, MLB Draft

The second one is about 'Debunking RISP'. I find it more of a chicken vs egg argument. The article argues RISP is a non-valued stat and is overrated. It talks about OBP being the true needed stat. It talks about more people on base is needed even more when your RISP is bad. But to me you could just as easy say that if you had a better RISP then more base runners isn't as needed. Read and see what you think.

in my opionion, OBP has less consistent value than RISP.

For a slow-footed power hitter drawing alot of walks because he is being pitched around (Mark Teixeira, Carlos Sanatana), his OBP is going to have much less value than, say, Billy Hamilton's or Jose Altuve's.

But i can't see any circumstance in which hitting with RISP is devalued (unless Ichiro is batting and he bunts for a hit with a guy on second, which we have seen him do many, many times).

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in my opionion, OBP has less consistent value than RISP.

For a slow-footed power hitter drawing alot of walks because he is being pitched around (Mark Teixeira, Carlos Sanatana), his OBP is going to have much less value than, say, Billy Hamilton's or Jose Altuve's.

But i can't see any circumstance in which hitting with RISP is devalued (unless Ichiro is batting and he bunts for a hit with a guy on second, which we have seen him do many, many times).

Exactly my thoughts. I was wondering if it was just me. I have always said that having a base clogger walk a lot is not huge for a team as compared to that clogger taking whacks. Does anyone really want to see Montero walking a lot?

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly my thoughts. I was wondering if it was just me. I have always said that having a base clogger walk a lot is not huge for a team as compared to that clogger taking whacks. Does anyone really want to see Montero walking a lot?

Any team that has a good heart of the lineup wants their #1-2 hitters with high OBP. If Montero's playing to his abilities, his OBP isn't what they're going to make the driving force of where to put him in the lineup.

The article is too general with it.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, Churchill is an idiot. Sandemeyer's even worse.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Opposed to striking out a bunch? sure

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Opposed to striking out a bunch? sure

Can't hit homers with a bat on your shoulders. Not saying swinging at balls just to get your hacks in, but why take two strikes just to work a walk when it would take 3 singles to drive you in?

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK, there is some argument for OBP. Last year, the top 5 scoring teams in the AL were also all top 5 OBP teams, but only 2 were top 5 BARISP teams. Though, if you adjust the numbers and give a (hypothetical) team last years averages with the top OBP and lowest RISP, they score fewer runs than doing the same with lowest OBP and highest RISP.

Personally, I like seeing guys get on base, even if they are as slow as grass growing, but I would always prefer them to actually score when they do get on base than to be still standing out there when the inning ends.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the argument from both sides... My take is i'd prefer that the #3 thru #6 hitters don't walk... I want them swinging the bats...

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the argument from both sides... My take is i'd prefer that the #3 thru #6 hitters don't walk... I want them swinging the bats...

That was my argument as well.

And I don't think there is a wrong answer, but to say RISP doesn't matter (what he basically says) is BS. They both matter. Get them on, knock them in.