• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trying to figure out how many pitchers pitch well in hitters parks

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am talking about road pitchers. I have actually noticed many decent pitchers or better having success in Chicago(WS), Colorodo, Texas, and Washington. How are they doing it?

The thing about hitters parks is that they are supported by getting players on base. How do you get players on base? Hitting many groundballs or getting walks. Hitters parks home teams do the most damage when pitchers are pitching "safe" afraid of being hit for a homerun. So they get hit for them anyway when they realize their groundball strategy gets them in trouble and suddenly they're throwing high and the batters are ready to grand slam it.

So there are those other pitchers who are smart enough to know or have witnessed first hand. They must keep players off base as much as possible by inducing more flyballs.

While not hitters parks but have talent, Detroit, SF, and KC also seem to get blanked against flyball pitching.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not all hitters ballparks are created equally... for example Yankee stadium gives the advantage to lefty batters... What that means is that lefty pitchers have the bigger advantage because they do better vs lefties...

Fenway park, Righty hitters do better, so you want a righty pitcher... a lefty pitcher has a HUGE disadvantage...

The other thing you look at is SO rate...

Don't know if you are doing this research because you think it will help you in fantasy or if you are doing it for fun, but if it is to help you in fantasy then you are wasting your time...

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MO
Pedro
Clemens
CY
Ford
Doc
Lester
CC

All pitched well in hitters parks:suds:

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not all hitters ballparks are created equally... for example Yankee stadium gives the advantage to lefty batters... What that means is that lefty pitchers have the bigger advantage because they do better vs lefties...

Fenway park, Righty hitters do better, so you want a righty pitcher... a lefty pitcher has a HUGE disadvantage...

The other thing you look at is SO rate...

Don't know if you are doing this research because you think it will help you in fantasy or if you are doing it for fun, but if it is to help you in fantasy then you are wasting your time...

It is to help me in streaming with my lower tier pitchers, but also to see if these pitchers have enough of a sample size to succeed. If I see pitchers who are a combination of flyballs and groundballs and have such inconsistency I'm avoiding them. I have no need for dumb pitchers.

These pitchers for later value are at the top of my list
Dickey
Nova
Moore
Salazar(if available)
Gray(a rockie I know)
Keuchel if mid round, not drafting high for him.
any dodger except for the fifth one(obviously not including Kershaw)
Richards

And I'm on SF so I still have Seattle, St.Louis, and Washington to go among the big pitching teams.

molsaniceman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dickey thx for the chuckle:suds:

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In doing this research, I am not just looking at game logs. I'm over at fangraphs and looking at the percentage of the time they have pitched a certain way. Anything above 50% shows what their main pitch is. Anything below 20% I don't think is substantial enough or a groundball or flyball pitch rate under 30%.

For instance, the braves are good in both facets against right-handed batters with the fastball. They were abusing Eickhoff last year early on and then suddenly Eickhoff figured them out and shut them down the rest of the way. My guess is Eickhoff was using his curveball more against them. Freeman is pretty much why righties have problems against them. So when Eickhoff has a game against the braves on the schedule, have to stream him.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In doing this research, I am not just looking at game logs. I'm over at fangraphs and looking at the percentage of the time they have pitched a certain way. Anything above 50% shows what their main pitch is. Anything below 20% I don't think is substantial enough or a groundball or flyball pitch rate under 30%.

For instance, the braves are good in both facets against right-handed batters with the fastball. They were abusing Eickhoff last year early on and then suddenly Eickhoff figured them out and shut them down the rest of the way. My guess is Eickhoff was using his curveball more against them. Freeman is pretty much why righties have problems against them. So when Eickhoff has a game against the braves on the schedule, have to stream him.

you are using DFS logic in a seasonal... nothing wrong with this, but you do have to realize, on draft day you shouldn't be using DFS logic... you need to get BPA, or at least BVA... who to stream and when is a worry for well after the draft...

If you are talking about having pitching depth, then good!!! that is the correct strategy in most leagues.. but the actual who to stream and when, don't worry about that now...

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not going to have that much time to do research during the regular season with school and other things going on now. So have to do it now. And everything I learn I am putting it on a list. Of course I'm not gonna draft Eickhoff. He's not consistent.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not going to have that much time to do research during the regular season with school and other things going on now. So have to do it now. And everything I learn I am putting it on a list. Of course I'm not gonna draft Eickhoff. He's not consistent.

But what you are doing is too much work for very minimal amount of information... Draft BPA... have pitching depth, and then when you stream look at the R/L splits... that is all... and if you like a players matchup better who is on waivers then use him instead... It really is not rocket science... don't turn it into it...

PLUS THINGS CONSTANTLY CHANGE!!!! IF YOU ARE DOING YOUR RESEARCH NOW FOR THE REGULAR SEASON STREAMING YOU ARE NOT GOING TO DO WELL STREAMING!!! PITCHING IS AS MUCH HOT HAND AS OFFENSE IS!!!!

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But what you are doing is too much work for very minimal amount of information... Draft BPA... have pitching depth, and then when you stream look at the R/L splits... that is all... and if you like a players matchup better who is on waivers then use him instead... It really is not rocket science... don't turn it into it...

PLUS THINGS CONSTANTLY CHANGE!!!! IF YOU ARE DOING YOUR RESEARCH NOW FOR THE REGULAR SEASON STREAMING YOU ARE NOT GOING TO DO WELL STREAMING!!! PITCHING IS AS MUCH HOT HAND AS OFFENSE IS!!!!

Relieved to see this...Sensible Nice Milk was about to make me throw up.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And btw, Dickey sucks. Had the career year and that's it. Could barely be useful in a 16 team league. Maybe. Don't bet on it.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heh, I said 'Dickey sucks'. :pound::pound::pound:

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And btw, Dickey sucks. Had the career year and that's it. Could barely be useful in a 16 team league. Maybe. Don't bet on it.

Don't be so hard on him... he is his team's ace!!!

molsaniceman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any thoughts on what the new braves stadium will be hitters or pitchers park?:suds:

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any thoughts on what the new braves stadium will be hitters or pitchers park?:suds:

I forget, did they help Freeman and screw Teheran or vice versa? ;)